low GPA, science classs taken, Post-Bacc or Masters in biomedical sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justcallmeK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Trying to decide if I should pursue a Post-Bacc route or a MSBS program. I have a degree in bio from a top undergrad institution, a lot of research experience, but a pretty low GPA. I've taken all my pre-med classes, so I need to decide which route will help me gain admission to MD or more likely DO schools.

GenChem I+Lab: C+
OChem 1/1Lab/2/2Lab: C+/A-/C-/C-
Biochem I: B-
Physics I+Lab/II+Lab: C-/B-
Calc I/II: A/C
Biology I+Lab/II/IIL: C-/B-/B

AMCAS GPA: 2.818
BCPM GPA: 2.64
All Other GPA: 3.29
GRE: all sections above 80%
MCAT: not yet taken

In my eyes, master programs are more valuable (real degree, more interesting and medically relevant coursework). However, I don't know how the GPA from a masters program would factor into admission.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is pretty low. Are the science and math classes listed above the only ones you've taken? If so, you're better off NOT doing an SMP at this point. Do you have a reason that these courses are so low? You're going to need to retake some of them, because honestly, the number of Cs is bringing you down. You would probably be better off doing a lot of PB work to improve your grades... Reason being if you mess up the SMP, you're screwed, like really, not able to fix screwed.

Your GPA is pretty low. Are the science and math classes listed above the only ones you've taken? If so, you're better off NOT doing an SMP at this point. Do you have a reason that these courses are so low? You're going to need to retake some of them, because honestly, the number of Cs is bringing you down. You would probably be better off doing a lot of PB work to improve your grades... Reason being if you mess up the SMP, you're screwed, like really, not able to fix screwed.

I have a lot of upper division science course work and did considerably better in those courses than the lower division premed courses. That being said, I understand the potential for being completely irreversibly screwed in SMP, and PB work for grade replacement seems like the best way to get me an interview at DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you did better, why is your science GPA still only a 2.64??

The sGPA is really going to hurt your application to an MD or DO program. Even if you could achieve a score in the 90% I think it may still be too low for admission. Before taking the MCAT, take a look at retaking all pre-rec classes. This will help you learn the material and prepare for MCAT. It will also help with admission to a DO school as you would replace lower grades with higher ones. If you could replace all of your C- through B- grades, your sGPA could be raised quite a bit depending on your other science coursework.

If you did better, why is your science GPA still only a 2.64??

5 semesters averaging a 2.3 sGPA (personal health issues) and 2 senior semesters averaging a 3.2 don't average out very well. Basically, I got my act together pretty late in the game. They don't give out many A's at my school.

The sGPA is really going to hurt your application to an MD or DO program. Even if you could achieve a score in the 90% I think it may still be too low for admission. Before taking the MCAT, take a look at retaking all pre-rec classes. This will help you learn the material and prepare for MCAT. It will also help with admission to a DO school as you would replace lower grades with higher ones. If you could replace all of your C- through B- grades, your sGPA could be raised quite a bit depending on your other science coursework.

Even if I retake 4 courses I can push my BCPM GPA up to a 3.1, which should be enough for an interview with some DO schools. I'm confident in my testing abilities. So I fully agree with what you're saying

"should be enough"... don't count on that type of attitude. I went in with a 3.2c/s with a very solid PB. A sGPA of 3.1 on science is low. VERY low. You would need to CRUSH the MCAT in order to overcome a sGPA that low.

Reactions: 1 user
You should also be planning on taking more than 4 courses to replace grades.

I agree. 4 was just a number to illustrate the GPA gain. i'm likely to retake 10 courses (inc. labs)

Reactions: 1 user