Low GPA: what are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koolday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post and I'm kinda nervous...but I desperately need your help/advice! ---
So here's my problem:

I've been out of school for about 4 yrs and am currently working full time. Quick background: My undergrad (Bio from UC) gpa was 2.9 and my science was ~2.4. After that, I went for MPH and ended up getting ~3.7. I understand that grad gpa doesn't really count for med schools and that is where my problem lies.

I'm in CA, so I know we have several (or actually a lot compare to other states) post bacc programs. I've looked at most of them, and it seems like they are pretty competitive and I have little chance of getting accepted since some only accept non-science maj students (ie. Scripps & USC) or underserved applicants (UCs & CSUs). And yes, my gpa is too low...Then I also noticed that there are 2 types: unstructured vs. structured. It seems like getting into structured program might be easier for me since I don't have to worry about being waitlisted on courses that I need take. And schools that offer structured program seem to only accept non-science maj people which obviously doesn't include me.

I wasn't quite sure whether I should still apply to those post baccs or just forget about post bacc & take classes at a local 4-yr college even if it takes longer than a year to retake all those courses. I even thought about applying for second BS as another option. And I'm trying to stay in CA so that I can work and support my family, which also means my plate is full (btw work & studying) and I need to balance this somehow.

I just don't know what the best route is and as a non traditional applicant + my low gpa it seems like I have less chance of getting into med school than those who just graduated.

I've also realized that taking classes at community colleges might not be a good idea. Any thoughts on this.

Any advice is welcomed & Thank you!

Kool-D

Members don't see this ad.

You seem like you have your head on straight and are being realistic. What I would do is spend some time retaking the classes you did bad in and pursue DO schools. With that low of GPA it would take years upon years to become competitive enough for MD schools, but retaking the right classes can cause a huge change in one year. Then work on moving forward towards medicine. But that is me.

Hello,

This is my first post and I'm kinda nervous...but I desperately need your help/advice! ---
So here's my problem:

I've been out of school for about 4 yrs and am currently working full time. Quick background: My undergrad (Bio from UC) gpa was 2.9 and my science was ~2.4. After that, I went for MPH and ended up getting ~3.7. I understand that grad gpa doesn't really count for med schools and that is where my problem lies.

I'm in CA, so I know we have several (or actually a lot compare to other states) post bacc programs. I've looked at most of them, and it seems like they are pretty competitive and I have little chance of getting accepted since some only accept non-science maj students (ie. Scripps & USC) or underserved applicants (UCs & CSUs). And yes, my gpa is too low...Then I also noticed that there are 2 types: unstructured vs. structured. It seems like getting into structured program might be easier for me since I don't have to worry about being waitlisted on courses that I need take. And schools that offer structured program seem to only accept non-science maj people which obviously doesn't include me.

I wasn't quite sure whether I should still apply to those post baccs or just forget about post bacc & take classes at a local 4-yr college even if it takes longer than a year to retake all those courses. I even thought about applying for second BS as another option. And I'm trying to stay in CA so that I can work and support my family, which also means my plate is full (btw work & studying) and I need to balance this somehow.

I just don't know what the best route is and as a non traditional applicant + my low gpa it seems like I have less chance of getting into med school than those who just graduated.

I've also realized that taking classes at community colleges might not be a good idea. Any thoughts on this.

Any advice is welcomed & Thank you!

Kool-D

You've outlined all of the difficulties and the possibilities. Unlike some others, it appears that you have read enough to know the choices that you face. You know that the path to becoming a physician is difficult but not impossible. Everything else is up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
...just forget about post bacc & take classes at a local 4-yr college even if it takes longer than a year to retake all those courses. I even thought about applying for second BS as another option.

I would do that one. In fact, I did do that one, not for grade rehab but to take necessary pre-reqs. You need to realize that for basically any UC or CSU, it will be exceptionally difficult to lock up a seat in a pre-professional requisite course without being a degree seeking student. What worked for me was applying to my local CSU as a second-degree seeking postgraduate student. It has worked out quite well for me, but I should also note I left my full-time job to pursue the coursework, hence being able to take the day classes normally offered at UC/CSUs.

I was going to argue with frkybigstok until I realized that your sGPA is probably based on a lot of credits since you were a science major. That means that getting your sGPA to >3.0 will be really tough, and I'd say that's the lower limit to be considered for MD.

So from where I stand, you options are basically a) Do some grade replacement/rehab for a year/2 and then apply DO with 3.2/2.8 GPA. b) Apply to a post-bacc somewhere else that has a linkage program, and rock it (like UPenn PB links to all the Philly schools), or c) suck it up, take a lot of credits for a long time (with or without an official PB program), and get A's!

If this is what you want to do, you will do it. It will suck, but you can do it. My journey is sucking too (3.1/3.0 uGPA, reapplicant this summer), but its just a matter of will power for folks like us. Best of luck

If this is what you want to do, you will do it. It will suck, but you can do it. My journey is sucking too (3.1/3.0 uGPA, reapplicant this summer), but its just a matter of will power for folks like us. Best of luck

Based on where your practice MCAT FL scores are trending, I'm thinking your grades will a little less of an issue :) Good luck.

Based on where your practice MCAT FL scores are trending, I'm thinking your grades will a little less of an issue :) Good luck.
Thanks! here's hoping I can do the same thing this saturday! btw, I should know this, but are you milmed? You should see my last blog post - I could have been your brother in arms. I was real excited, but it wasn't meant to be. Ah well- onwards :)

I wouldn't waste my time trying to go the US MD route. Unfortunately, that road is not truly made for those of us that for one reason or another didn't get stellar grades as an undergraduate. I would focus on doing grade replacement and apply to DO exclusively. If that round fails, I'd re-apply DO and apply Caribbean as well.

Thank you for reading/writing and giving advice/comments.
Means a lot to me!
I know ppl out there who are just as deseparate as I am
and am somewhat glad to know that I'm not totally alone on this.
I guess I will try to take a few courses and make my
decision whether to get a second degree or not.
Thanks again you guys and hopefully I'll post some positive
posts in the near future.

kool-D

I was in a similar situation GPA-wise to the OP, and I went back to complete another bachelor's degree. I had a 2.9 GPA and a much lower science GPA when I started. It took a little over 2 years of full-time coursework, but I raised my GPA up to 3.33. Not great, but I still got into a few MD programs and was offered interviews at several more. The bottom line is that if you're willing to put in the time you can still get into MD programs - if that's what you want. Are your chances better with applying DO? Probably so.

Also, I was 30 when I started on the second bachelor's, and I'll be 34 when I start school this fall. I spent most of the last year out of the country - so i lost a year there. I'm guessing, from reading your story, that you're probably slightly younger than I was when I started, so do what you want to do. When people told me I couldn't do something it made me work harder, and I'm glad I went back to school for the second bachelor's. Good Luck!!