General Admissions & OTCAS Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureotstudent1999

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight for applicants with a lower GPA. Anyone been accepted into OT programs with a GPA below a 3.4?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any insight for applicants with a lower GPA. Anyone been accepted into OT programs with a GPA below a 3.4?

I got a 3.32 cumulative GPA when I applied. Since most schools evaluate applicants holistically, I made sure to compensate for a category I lacked in. So since my GPA is lower and GRE is not as high as well, I made sure to spend more time on my personal statement and letter of recs and hours.

Or you can aim for programs that look at the last 60 semester/90 quarter units. I know that boost my GPA a bit. I was accepted to San Jose State, University of St. Augustine, and Stanbridge.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied in 2014 and it was a different time. My overall GPA was below a 3 and I maxed out units with a double major. The only thing I can change was my last 90 units and pre-requisite. I was still rejected by most schools based on stats alone but fortunately, there is a handful of school that gave me a chance and I made it through. I am extremely bias and obvious benefited when a school looks beyond GPA. You need to establish who you are beyond the number. Communicate the experience that makes you and how it will make you a strong contender as a scholar and future occupational therapist whether it is clinician or research.

I applied in 2017 with a undergrad GPA of around 3.0 (So your 3.4 is not even that bad!). I graduated undergrad in 2012 with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology so I had to take all the prereqs in science classes. I had a 3.9 for all the prereq classes. It wasn't easy since I was out of school for 5 years already. I didn't even take the GREs so I only had options for schools that didn't require GREs, which limited my options. I got accepted into Hofstra in 2017 now working as a SNF OT. Don't give up. I remember when I came to this site and looked at all these ppl with high GPAs and GRE score and feeling defeated. Work on your pre req scores if you can take them over. I took them in a community college near my house while working full time and was able to get in my observation hours on the weekends. Put yourself out there during the interview and truly show that you care about people and have questions ready for them. They not only look at your answers but want you to show interest in their OT program as well. Remember that hard work pays off! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user