Low GRE scores and DPT admissions, Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Any DPT students got accepted to PT school with a GRE score below the requirement?

• yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • no

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

NCcatlover88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Are there anyone current DPT students that have gotten into PT school with a GRE score below the minimum requirement?? I have a solid GPA 3.8, diverse OB hours in 3 different settings with 250 hours, a letter of recommendation from an Elon Alumni, my top choice is Elon U, I just applied for early decision. BUTT My GRE score is 9 points below the minimum. I scored a 145 verbal and 143 math and a 4 on the writing. PLEASE help me, shower me with advice! I'm soooooo nervous that I wont get into due to my GRE score..

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GRE scores are very low. I suggest you study for the exam and retake it or apply to programs that do not have GRE requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GRE scores are very low. I suggest you study for the exam and retake it or apply to programs that do not have GRE requirements.
I appreciate your feedback. Are you in PT school? If so, where did u stand academically when applying and do u know anyone who's gotten in with a score below requirement? My application is solid other than my GRE scores. My personal statement, GPA and letters of recommendations are outstanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry. if you plan to apply to many schools, you will at least get into 1 of them. I had similar stats, although my gre was just a tad bit higher than you. I got into 7 schools out of 13 that I applied to, so I don't see why you won't get in.

I appreciate your feedback. Are you in PT school? If so, where did u stand academically when applying and do u know anyone who's gotten in with a score below requirement? My application is solid other than my GRE scores. My personal statement, GPA and letters of recommendations are outstanding.

Ask the schools you are interested in. We do not review applications for people who don't meet minimums. Never look at them. They are automatically rejected. If the schools you are applying to also do this, then you are wasting time and money applying. 9 points on the GRE is pretty big to be lacking. You may want to apply to schools who don't require GRE since your GPA is decent.

Oh, right. Don't apply to schools that have minimum requirements you don't meet. But do apply to those schools that do not specify minimum requirements.

Agree, you won't get into Elon if that is a stated minimum. I call it a "computer reject" in that your application will not even be reviewed (I don't know about Elon specifically, but that's how it usually works. A computer kicks you out before the admissions committee goes through the applications). A school generally cannot waive a stated minimum even if other stuff is stronger because it is tied to their accreditation. Occasionally, you can request a waiver on certain things from the school but you would have to already have that in place. (Possibly you could try to request a waiver and roll to regular admissions round instead of early decision?)

The good news is that there is plenty of time to widen your application pool. Find some schools that don't require the GRE or don't have a minimum or where you meet the minimum. Or retake the GRE ASAP and study like crazy ( you will still miss getting into Elon but it will help you with other schools.)

I just graduated. To my knowledge, no one in my program was offered an interview without meeting the minimum GRE, which was 1000 on the old scale and 150 Q/V (our cutoff might be higher now). I would seriously consider retaking the GRE to increase your chances. I'll be honest, I don't know anyone who gained admissions with lower GRE scores than what you posted. In fact, your posted scores are the lowest I've seen. Study and retake the exam if you're applying to programs that consider the GRE. GPA and LoRs mean nothing if your application is screened out. Good luck.

It's worth it to take it again. Lots of good GRE study books and tools out there. It's WELL worth your time.

Thanks for your feedback. I've registered to take the GRE on July 27th, but havent had much time to study due to being swamped sith summer courses and work. Hopefully I score high enough. Is it worth to ask Elons admissions committee if their system automatically kicks applicants out who don't meet the minimum requirements?

Don't worry. if you plan to apply to many schools, you will at least get into 1 of them. I had similar stats, although my gre was just a tad bit higher than you. I got into 7 schools out of 13 that I applied to, so I don't see why you won't get in.
Was your GRE below the minimum? And if u don't mind me asking what skills did u apply to and what schools did u get in to? Thanks!!!

You might as well call and ask....at least you will have peace of mind and know why you were rejected (versus wondering if it was another part of your application) Don't take it personally either as again, the school itself often doesn't have leeway on the admission minimums. Please post if you call for others dealing with the same type of questions.

Are you planning to apply in the regular cycle for Elon? If so, get that score up and you should be sitting much better in the regular applicant pool? Again, I don't know the school so not sure if you get automatically rolled to general admission.

Starrsgirl, I just submitted my application via PTCAS for the early decision. Ive been shaddowing an Elon Alumni and he wrote one of my letters of recommendation and even emailed the dean telling him to lookout for my app. It's very discouraging to think they won't look past a GRE score and read letters of recommendation, personal statements, etc. Those obviously say more about your potential and how well you will do in the program. The GRE is a lousy test, especially if you have high anxiety while taking standardized tests. Ugh

Ask the schools you are interested in. We do not review applications for people who don't meet minimums. Never look at them. They are automatically rejected. If the schools you are applying to also do this, then you are wasting time and money applying. 9 points on the GRE is pretty big to be lacking. You may want to apply to schools who don't require GRE since your GPA is decent.
When you say "we don't review" who are you referring to? Do you sit in admissions at a university?

I agree that the application process seems biased at times. I got absolutely hammered on my low GPA when applying. Rejection after rejection. I felt it was unfair for a lot of reasons (old classes, odd circumstances on some of the grades) I'm in school now and doing really well, but I understand the school's perspective. A low GPA make it more likely a student will be on academic probation or fail a class. Likewise, the GRE speaks directly to your ability to pass the NPTE (standardized test). Whether true or not, a low GRE looks 'risky' to a school because they fear you won't pass the boards which will go back on them.

Retake the GRE ASAP and see if you can roll to regular admissions. It sucks but it's your best shot.