Low Marks in Prerequisites Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RD123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently in fourth Year of undergrad and over the years, I have taken the required courses for Optometry schools but have gotten marks lower than "C" in some of them. I haven't given my OAT yet but I am planning todo it this summer and I do have 3 years of shadowing with an Optometrist. My question is that, has any gotten into Optometry School with low marks in prerequisite courses but have a overall good gpa and a good OAT? Do I need to repeat these courses again? Thank you for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Are we talking C-, or D? You can check the requirements of the individual schools about the C-, but you won't be able to get in with a D.

Hi! I'm currently in fourth Year of undergrad and over the years, I have taken the required courses for Optometry schools but have gotten marks lower than "C" in some of them. I haven't given my OAT yet but I am planning todo it this summer and I do have 3 years of shadowing with an Optometrist. My question is that, has any gotten into Optometry School with low marks in prerequisite courses but have a overall good gpa and a good OAT? Do I need to repeat these courses again? Thank you for any help!
Usually, if you have C in your prereq courses then you don't have to retake them. I had few C in my prereqs and still got accepted. Do well in you OAT which will compensate any Cs you've gotten.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you get those grades? I swear I'm not trying to be rude, but your hardest undergrad courses will probably seem easy compared to the workload of a doctoral program. You need to identify your source of struggle now and see if you can fix it by the time you enter one of these programs. You don't want to only make it a semester or a year because you'll end up wasting an absurd amount of money. Schools will profit from this, but it sucks to watch it happen. Don't throw your cash away unless you've got money to burn, in which case just pick a pleasant fun little job instead.

As for the incoming grades, I think there is a data sheet floating around here. The "new" schools and PCO are apparently currently taking the lowest GPAs and OAT scores.

Why did you get those grades? I swear I'm not trying to be rude, but your hardest undergrad courses will probably seem easy compared to the workload of a doctoral program. You need to identify your source of struggle now and see if you can fix it by the time you enter one of these programs. You don't want to only make it a semester or a year because you'll end up wasting an absurd amount of money. Schools will profit from this, but it sucks to watch it happen. Don't throw your cash away unless you've got money to burn, in which case just pick a pleasant fun little job instead.

As for the incoming grades, I think there is a data sheet floating around here. The "new" schools and PCO are apparently currently taking the lowest GPAs and OAT scores.

I think it's because PCO has a class of about 150-170....wow are they just fishing for money?

ICO has the same class size but their oat and gpa average is higher though.

If anyone has information on this issue it would be extremely helpful as I am in a similar situation. I received a C- in Year 1 Chemistry, C in Year 1 Biology/Organic Chemistry, and a D in Year 1 Physics. Will I need to retake Year 1 Chemistry/Year 1 Physics in order to meet the requirements for optometry school admission?

If anyone has information on this issue it would be extremely helpful as I am in a similar situation. I received a C- in Year 1 Chemistry, C in Year 1 Biology/Organic Chemistry, and a D in Year 1 Physics. Will I need to retake Year 1 Chemistry/Year 1 Physics in order to meet the requirements for optometry school admission?
It depends on the particular school. I believe that C's are acceptable, but you'll need to do well on your OAT. That D in Physics probably won't be taken at the decent schools. Also, your overall GPA plays a major role. If you had that many C's and at least one D, then how is your overall number really looking? But again, you need to assess why you got those grades. Optometry school is going to be leagues more difficult due to the high volume of work. If your issue was partying and you feel like you've moved past that part of your life, then you might want to consider re-taking the courses, buckling down and studying for your OAT, and preparing to be mature and professional in your interview. If you really struggled with the course material, then I think you need to seriously assess how you think you'll do in a program like this. Do you have the time/money to waste if you get accepted and it doesn't work out? (I'm asking this part more hypothetically.)

To be completely honest, I was having many issues during my first 2 years of studies and school was not my priority. My Year 3 GPA was around 3.75 after having GPA's of 3 and 2.7 the previous years, so I would say I have improved and continue to. In your opinion, would you suggest just re-taking the physics course?

I'm not sure about the other schools but RSO doesn't accept anything lower than a C. Also, if you retake the course at the same institution, they will replace the grade with the latter one. If you take it at a different place (say a community college) the grade will be averaged out. I would check with the specific schools you're interested in because they all have different rules. I had a D in physics because I thought taking physics 1 , biochem, and Orgo 1 while working 3 days a week was smart retook the physics in the summer, got an A and the score was replaced in optomcas. I did ok on my OAT and got in RSO, they didn't ask about my D in physics at all. I think you should definitely retake physics and ask the schools about the C- in chemistry. Study hard and kill that OAT while getting as much exposure to the optometry field as you can. Once you gain that interview invitation, show up with a positive attitude and a clear goal of why you want to be an optometrist and how to succeed in optometry school. Be prepared but honest if they ask about your bad semester, and the rest will be history good luck on your study and keep us updated.

To be completely honest, I was having many issues during my first 2 years of studies and school was not my priority. My Year 3 GPA was around 3.75 after having GPA's of 3 and 2.7 the previous years, so I would say I have improved and continue to. In your opinion, would you suggest just re-taking the physics course?
Honestly, I just don't know enough about the admissions offices at each of the schools to feel like I can give you a good enough answer. It would be best to call the schools that you're interested in to ask them personally. Obviously, getting that GPA higher isn't going to hurt, but you also don't want to put more time and money into the admissions process if you don't need to.

That is a good jump from your pervious GPA. I would say work hard and do well on the OAT. Explain your circumstances in your personal statement and supplementals. I was in a similar situation with grade drops due to family issues. If anything if you are honest and explain, and say you haev struggled but have grown from difficulties etc I think you are ok.

But make sure GPa doesn't fall anymore and give it your ALL on your OAT!