low MCAT, good GPA, need help with school list please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redman93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Philosophy, Minor: Chemistry

ORM, from a New England state w/o any in state preference

AMCAS cGPA/sGPA: 3.83/3.70, AACOMAS cGPA/sGPA: 3.81/3.77

MCAT: 7 PS/11 VR/10 BS (not sure about taking new MCAT in spring)

Research: 2 years of experience, have done 2 poster presentations with possibly a publication by the time I graduate

Clinical Volunteering: little over 2 years for about 4hrs/week at hospital ED, about 50 hours at free clinic by application but will continue further

Physician shadowing: about 100 hours with two different doctors by when I apply (1 MD and 1 DO)

EC's: alto/bari sax in school's wind ensemble 4 years, Philosophy honor society

Preliminary school list:

DO schools: PCOM, UNECOM, DMU-COM, KCUMB, ATSU-KCOM,CCOM, LECOM, NYIT, Rowan, VCOM, NY Touro, NSU-COM, LMUCOM, MUCOM, WVSOM, RVUCOM

MD schools?: Commonwealth MC, MC Wisconsin, GWU, Rosalind Franklin, NYMC, Cooper, Creighton, Quinnipiac, Rush, St. Louis, Albany, Wake Forest, Toledo, Penn State, Drexel, Brown, Oakland, Western Mich (basically just went with those that had lower MCAT scores and friendly for OOS)

Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth my while even applying to MD schools with the 7 in PS or would I definitely need to either retake or focus primarily on DO schools? I know some schools require at least an 8 or even 9 in each section, but are any of the MD schools I listed that are worth a shot based on my stats?

Is my school list generally speaking, decent for the DO schools as well?

Members don't see this ad.

You certainly did your homework! Your MD chances are fair but you have made the most of your chances with this list. My only deletion would be Brown since the OOS PLUME students give an artificially elevated estimate of your odds.
I'll defer to my DO colleagues on the specifics of the DO list but, in general, you look good.

You certainly did your homework! Your MD chances are fair but you have made the most of your chances with this list. My only deletion would be Brown since the OOS PLUME students give an artificially elevated estimate of your odds.
I'll defer to my DO colleagues on the specifics of the DO list but, in general, you look good.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. How detrimental do you believe the 7 in PS will be for my app? Do you think some of the MD schools will screen me out with that particular score because a lot of those MD schools I listed have an 8 or 9 as the PS score for the 10th percentile of accepted applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. How detrimental do you believe the 7 in PS will be for my app? Do you think some of the MD schools will screen me out with that particular score because a lot of those MD schools I listed have an 8 or 9 as the PS score for the 10th percentile of accepted applicants?
If an MD school is going to give you a shot it's likely to be one of the ones on your list. I have seen people with your stats get into these schools in the last few years. If you had to have a 7, PS is the best sub-section for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
If an MD school is going to give to a shot it's likely to be one of the ones on your list. I have seen people with your stats get into these schools in the last few years. If you had to have a 7, PS is the best sub-section for it.

Thanks again, Happy New Year!

Major: Philosophy, Minor: Chemistry

ORM, from a New England state w/o any in state preference

AMCAS cGPA/sGPA: 3.83/3.70, AACOMAS cGPA/sGPA: 3.81/3.77

MCAT: 7 PS/11 VR/10 BS (not sure about taking new MCAT in spring)

Research: 2 years of experience, have done 2 poster presentations with possibly a publication by the time I graduate

Clinical Volunteering: little over 2 years for about 4hrs/week at hospital ED, about 50 hours at free clinic by application but will continue further

Physician shadowing: about 100 hours with two different doctors by when I apply (1 MD and 1 DO)

EC's: alto/bari sax in school's wind ensemble 4 years, Philosophy honor society

Preliminary school list:

DO schools: PCOM, UNECOM, DMU-COM, KCUMB, ATSU-KCOM,CCOM, LECOM, NYIT, Rowan, VCOM, NY Touro, NSU-COM, LMUCOM, MUCOM, WVSOM, RVUCOM

MD schools?: Commonwealth MC, MC Wisconsin, GWU, Rosalind Franklin, NYMC, Cooper, Creighton, Quinnipiac, Rush, St. Louis, Albany, Wake Forest, Toledo, Penn State, Drexel, Brown, Oakland, Western Mich (basically just went with those that had lower MCAT scores and friendly for OOS)

Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth my while even applying to MD schools with the 7 in PS or would I definitely need to either retake or focus primarily on DO schools? I know some schools require at least an 8 or even 9 in each section, but are any of the MD schools I listed that are worth a shot based on my stats?

Is my school list generally speaking, decent for the DO schools as well?

I think the DO list is good!

Concur 100% with my learned colleague. I can't in good conscience recommend Penn State, though.

You're fine for any DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
Concur 100% with my learned colleague. I can't in good conscience recommend Penn State, though.

You're fine for any DO school.

Thanks for the reply. Is that Penn State comment due to my stats and being an OOS applicant or is it for a less obvious reason?

Not much for (relatively) current events, I guess?

Thought it might've been that but just wasn't sure if it was a more medical related reason. Not sure how picky I can be for an MD school based on my stats.

Thought it might've been that but just wasn't sure if it was a more medical related reason. Not sure how picky I can be for an MD school based on my stats.
Personally, I don't have reason to believe that anyone at the medical school was involved in the cover-up, but I can understand that others may differ.

Reactions: 1 user