Low OAT Low GPA Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

royaleye2018

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I always said I would post on here when I got my acceptance into optometry school, so here we are! I didn't know literally anyone personally who wanted to get into optometry, so I relied very heavily on this forum and all of you. With that being said, I'm here to tell you that if you have a low OAT score and a low GPA, it's 100% possible to get into optometry school. The way I did this in undergrad is very unconventional and if I can succeed, I know so many of you can too.

I had started looking into optometry school shortly after I started working at my local optometrists office as an OD Tech. I honestly had no intentions on doing that, I just really needed a part time job to get me through undergrad. I didn't know the doctor too well at first and I was nervous to ask him questions to be completely honest. That's what led me here. I was a health administration major and I thought I was 100% crazy, but I couldn't shake how quickly I became so passionate about it. So, I googled everything. I made a list of things I needed to do and I brought it to my advisor to make it happen. It really helped that she was so supportive, as were my family and friends.

There was a huge flaw in my plan (more so something I personally struggled with) which was that I had two choices: graduate on time, take all of the pre-reqs for opt. school, but take hard classes together that wouldn't normally be together, and switch my major to liberal studies in order to fit it all in. or, graduate a year later, pay the extra year in tuition, finish HADM major and take my pre-reqs for opt. school.

It might not seem like the obvious choice to you, but I decided on the former. It was really hard. I took the OAT twice and I also applied to school twice.

The first time I applied (to start Fall 2020), I applied before I took the OAT and once I did I felt that there was no chance that I could get in. My OAT score was AA 260. I sent my score in anyway, and by that time it was already January 2020 and I didn't think they'd even respond. They did. They encouraged me to retake my OAT and apply early for the next cycle, so I did. I was bummed, but I was not about to give up. In June, I retook the OAT. I scheduled it earlier but it kept getting pushed because of course... COVID :( You'd think I'd be happy but I was so ready to get it over with.

I retook it and was so disappointed that on my second try, I was only able to bring my AA up 30 points. I retook my OAT and my AA was 290. I graduated with a 3.3 GPA. At this time I read about some other people getting in with stats like that, so I just went with it. I only applied to three schools, but I only got interviews at 2/3. I was waitlisted at the other. Another piece of advice that I read on here that really got me through the interviews was: BE YOURSELF. If you're passionate about this, let that be known. They will definitely be able to sense that! I was on cloud nine after my interview at MCPHS. I prayed that I would get accepted there because the person I interviewed with made me feel so comfortable and really sold me on the school. About a week later I found out that I was accepted. It was such a long journey and felt so surreal, but I was thrilled.

To sum that up...
I applied to school twice. I took the OAT twice. I was an OD Tech for three years and had plenty of volunteer experience. I had a low GPA, low OAT score. I applied at MCPHS, Salus, and ICO. I interviewed at MCPHS and Salus and was waitlisted at ICO. I have yet to receive a decision from Salus, but I was so excited to get my acceptance to MCPHS that I paid my deposit right away!

Long story short: don't give up. If you needed a sign to keep going, THIS IS IT. You can do it!

Sorry this was so long, but if it helps even one person I'll be glad I wrote it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
I’m in a similar position with salus. Just had my interview today did they ever get back to you

I love that you shared your story! I interviewed at MCPHS and I am hoping for an acceptance so bad ! You said it took them a week to get back to you?? When did you interview with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! This next semester I’ll be going into my senior year of undergrad. I just wanted to see what y’all thought of my current situation, as I am beginning to stress about the application process! I currently have a 3.3 GPA and if everything goes accordingly I should be able to get that up to a 3.45-3.5 by the time I graduate. I’ve spent time looking at the average GPA’s of entering classes and noticed mine is a bit lower than some. I plan on taking the OAT this summer. With my GPA and assuming I do decent on the OAT, will I have much of a chance of being accepted? I’m very motivated and decided after being a firefighter out of high school to pursue more schooling. Just wanted to seek any advice or thoughts on my current situation. Thank you all very much for any response!

Hi Everyone!

I always said I would post on here when I got my acceptance into optometry school, so here we are! I didn't know literally anyone personally who wanted to get into optometry, so I relied very heavily on this forum and all of you. With that being said, I'm here to tell you that if you have a low OAT score and a low GPA, it's 100% possible to get into optometry school. The way I did this in undergrad is very unconventional and if I can succeed, I know so many of you can too.

I had started looking into optometry school shortly after I started working at my local optometrists office as an OD Tech. I honestly had no intentions on doing that, I just really needed a part time job to get me through undergrad. I didn't know the doctor too well at first and I was nervous to ask him questions to be completely honest. That's what led me here. I was a health administration major and I thought I was 100% crazy, but I couldn't shake how quickly I became so passionate about it. So, I googled everything. I made a list of things I needed to do and I brought it to my advisor to make it happen. It really helped that she was so supportive, as were my family and friends.

There was a huge flaw in my plan (more so something I personally struggled with) which was that I had two choices: graduate on time, take all of the pre-reqs for opt. school, but take hard classes together that wouldn't normally be together, and switch my major to liberal studies in order to fit it all in. or, graduate a year later, pay the extra year in tuition, finish HADM major and take my pre-reqs for opt. school.

It might not seem like the obvious choice to you, but I decided on the former. It was really hard. I took the OAT twice and I also applied to school twice.

The first time I applied (to start Fall 2020), I applied before I took the OAT and once I did I felt that there was no chance that I could get in. My OAT score was AA 260. I sent my score in anyway, and by that time it was already January 2020 and I didn't think they'd even respond. They did. They encouraged me to retake my OAT and apply early for the next cycle, so I did. I was bummed, but I was not about to give up. In June, I retook the OAT. I scheduled it earlier but it kept getting pushed because of course... COVID :( You'd think I'd be happy but I was so ready to get it over with.

I retook it and was so disappointed that on my second try, I was only able to bring my AA up 30 points. I retook my OAT and my AA was 290. I graduated with a 3.3 GPA. At this time I read about some other people getting in with stats like that, so I just went with it. I only applied to three schools, but I only got interviews at 2/3. I was waitlisted at the other. Another piece of advice that I read on here that really got me through the interviews was: BE YOURSELF. If you're passionate about this, let that be known. They will definitely be able to sense that! I was on cloud nine after my interview at MCPHS. I prayed that I would get accepted there because the person I interviewed with made me feel so comfortable and really sold me on the school. About a week later I found out that I was accepted. It was such a long journey and felt so surreal, but I was thrilled.

To sum that up...
I applied to school twice. I took the OAT twice. I was an OD Tech for three years and had plenty of volunteer experience. I had a low GPA, low OAT score. I applied at MCPHS, Salus, and ICO. I interviewed at MCPHS and Salus and was waitlisted at ICO. I have yet to receive a decision from Salus, but I was so excited to get my acceptance to MCPHS that I paid my deposit right away!

Long story short: don't give up. If you needed a sign to keep going, THIS IS IT. You can do it!

Sorry this was so long, but if it helps even one person I'll be glad I wrote it!

I needed this, thank you for sharing ! Congrats and good luck to all of your future accomplishments.

Hi Everyone!

To sum that up...

Congrats!!!

You rock!!! You are on your way to being a good optometrist!!!
All the best always!!

Hi Everyone!

To sum that up...

Hi! Congratulations on getting accepted to MCPHS! You said you were waitlisted to ICO. How was the interview and do you know maybe the reason of why that is? I'm just asking because my stats are similar to yours lol

I’m in a similar position with salus. Just had my interview today did they ever get back to you
Hi, so sorry that I'm just seeing these responses! Unfortunately they never did give me an actual decision. I told them I had an offer from another school and they ensured me that they would expedite my decision... then they ghosted me. A few months later I sent them an email withdrawing my application. I hope you've heard back by now and if not, don't give up!!

I love that you shared your story! I interviewed at MCPHS and I am hoping for an acceptance so bad ! You said it took them a week to get back to you?? When did you interview with them?
Ah, thank you! I'm so glad that it helped a few people out. Like I said, I really relied heavily on this forum to get me through the application process. Did you hear back? So sorry for the late response. I actually interviewed in November 2020 so it took me a bit to get on here and share. Feel free to message me, maybe we'll be going to school together!

Hey everyone! This next semester I’ll be going into my senior year of undergrad. I just wanted to see what y’all thought of my current situation, as I am beginning to stress about the application process! I currently have a 3.3 GPA and if everything goes accordingly I should be able to get that up to a 3.45-3.5 by the time I graduate. I’ve spent time looking at the average GPA’s of entering classes and noticed mine is a bit lower than some. I plan on taking the OAT this summer. With my GPA and assuming I do decent on the OAT, will I have much of a chance of being accepted? I’m very motivated and decided after being a firefighter out of high school to pursue more schooling. Just wanted to seek any advice or thoughts on my current situation. Thank you all very much for any response!
I'm not sure which cycle you're planning to apply to, is it to start 2021? If you applied earlier in the year then there may be a chance. Time is the only thing that's against you at this point, don't stress so much about your stats! If you don't get in, do not give up!! There's always next cycle :)

Hi! Congratulations on getting accepted to MCPHS! You said you were waitlisted to ICO. How was the interview and do you know maybe the reason of why that is? I'm just asking because my stats are similar to yours lol
Thank you! I actually never did interview at ICO - I was waitlisted before I got the chance. I think their standards are higher so I'm willing to bet that it was my OAT score. If you're curious, it doesn't hurt to reach out. Engaging with the school and getting your name out there is always a good choice.