Low OAT scores need advice from people who have been accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZooZoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did horrible and I am very upset I studied like crazy however studying for less than two months was not enough. I really hoped I passed however these grades are killing me. I got a 250, 270, 300, 300 , 270, 210, total science of 260 and AA of 270. I did very poorly on physics. Can you guys please give me realistic advice put your self in my place what would you do? Its just upsetting because I try so hard but it doesn't work. I really wanted to get into Salus but there's no chance with these scores

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest retaking the exam. You still have time.

ZooZoo don't let this unfortunate outcome be the avoidable nail in the coffin towards achieving your goal! It really comes down to how you study and not how much. Even with less than two months studying, it could have been enough. It's not a point of contention that part of doing well on the OAT boils down to your recall ability like in the biology section or organic section. Cell division and chemical reactions are what they are. However, like all standardized exams, particularly entrance exams, knowing how to take them is just as important. Depending on when you plan on retaking the OAT, reformulate how you study this time. Commit some effort to being able to recognize instances where deductive reasoning, shorthand calculations, and mnemonics can be helpful.

I really think its doable to raise your section scores up from what they are. Obviously your AA and TS will reflect the change accordingly. Hope it works out! Feel free to message me if you need further advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What resources did you use? Did you use Kaplan/PR, videos and did you do any practice tests? You gotta familiarize yourself with the test process itself because everyone knows it's a pain in the ass to take computer tests where controls are all janky, you'd strain your eyes for 5 hours looking at a screen, etc. Personally I would rather much take a paper test but that's how all standardized tests are nowadays.

I was in the same exact situation you were in. I studied what it seem to be everyday in the summer and then try to study during the school year throughout the use of the Kaplin book. My scores were 280 AA/ 280 TS. I was pretty devastated. I just wanted to quit and give up completely. However I decided at that moment I wanted to be an optometrist and I wasn't going to let a test stop me from that. You can either decided now to continue after your dream or take another path. Either way be happy and confident with your decision and make sure you talk to an adviser or some sort of career professional about it. But here is what I did and my suggestions. I am by no means a perfect example, but I hope it will help you and other people reading this.

Here is what I did. My plan that at the point of receiving my results I was going to take a year off and apply for the next cycle. I am so happy I did. I was able to focus on my classes for senior year and take some more leadership roles in clubs that I probably wouldn't have if I was studying for the OAT. I also took some harder sciences courses that would look good to an admission staff like Immunology, Advance Physiology, and dida research project on rhodopsin receptors. I really tried to do really well in those courses to show I wasn't taking it easy my senior. After I graduated, I started studying for the OAT again and applying to schools through OptomCAS on July 1st. I wanted to make sure I was as early as possible so that would increase my chances if something went wrong with the OAT. I used Chad video's (coursesaver.com) this time around from studying as well as various practice tests including OAT Destroyer. Chad videos tell you exactly what you need to know for that OAT and tricks on how to remember material. It is easy to get lost in the information with the Kaplin books and the chad video's help you get stay on track and gives you quizzes to practice the information you just learned. The OAT Destroyer I just bought for sections I did really poorly on and practiced with those. That really helped with timing and was set up just like when you take the OAT. I was shooting for a 300 AA/ 300 TS because I hoped that would help me at least get an interview at a school. When I took it at the end of July, I ended up with a 310 AA/310TS! I am a terrible test taker and those scores seemed impossible to get, but I did it! I highly if anything to study with the coursesaver.com Chad videos because I really owe all of that hard work and studying to that. I did finish my application shortly after that and ended up with interviews at all of the schools I applied to (including Salus!). I have decided to go to IUSO for Fall 2016 though, but I so happy that I took a year off because I do not know if I could have accomplished all of this without it.

However if you don't want to take a year off, this is what I suggest. I would sign up to take the OAT again today. Schedule it as close to the 90 day mark as you can, maybe sometime in December/early January before classes would be good because you will have a break and can concentrating on the OAT. The second is to get OptomCAS application done as soon as possible. There are a lot of tedious things to fill out and the sooner you get it out of the way the better you will be in the end. I would even go as far to explain your situation about the OAT in your personal statement and how overcoming the obstacle will help you become a better clinician. Personally I would get the tests in before you take the OAT again so that you at least have your name out there and your file can be reviewed. Just let the schools know that you are retaking the OAT. Study as much as you can for the OAT through coursesaver.com and your Kaplin notes. Create a schedule and stick to it. You don't have to make it all day thing. Even at least an hour a day of studying is good in my opinion. Just try to get through all the videos and have time to practice the material before you retake the OAT. Once you do super amazingly well on the OAT, you will be all done if you have already turned in your application! If you do wait to turn in the application until you get results, you can either of course one turn in the application ASAP. Or if you are still unhappy with the scores, I would really suggest taking a year off. You can build up your application in other ways through more shadowing hour, volunteering and other experiences to make you a more well rounded applicant. You will also have more free time to take the OAT one last time and really concentrate on doing well!

Whatever you do, I hope you don't give up now. This is just a small bump in the road that with enough will power you can overcome. Feel free to message me with any questions you may have! I wish you the best.

Reactions: 4 users
I was in the same exact situation you were in. I studied what it seem to be everyday in the summer and then try to study during the school year throughout the use of the Kaplin book. My scores were 280 AA/ 280 TS. I was pretty devastated. I just wanted to quit and give up completely. However I decided at that moment I wanted to be an optometrist and I wasn't going to let a test stop me from that. You can either decided now to continue after your dream or take another path. Either way be happy and confident with your decision and make sure you talk to an adviser or some sort of career professional about it. But here is what I did and my suggestions. I am by no means a perfect example, but I hope it will help you and other people reading this.

Here is what I did. My plan that at the point of receiving my results I was going to take a year off and apply for the next cycle. I am so happy I did. I was able to focus on my classes for senior year and take some more leadership roles in clubs that I probably wouldn't have if I was studying for the OAT. I also took some harder sciences courses that would look good to an admission staff like Immunology, Advance Physiology, and dida research project on rhodopsin receptors. I really tried to do really well in those courses to show I wasn't taking it easy my senior. After I graduated, I started studying for the OAT again and applying to schools through OptomCAS on July 1st. I wanted to make sure I was as early as possible so that would increase my chances if something went wrong with the OAT. I used Chad video's (coursesaver.com) this time around from studying as well as various practice tests including OAT Destroyer. Chad videos tell you exactly what you need to know for that OAT and tricks on how to remember material. It is easy to get lost in the information with the Kaplin books and the chad video's help you get stay on track and gives you quizzes to practice the information you just learned. The OAT Destroyer I just bought for sections I did really poorly on and practiced with those. That really helped with timing and was set up just like when you take the OAT. I was shooting for a 300 AA/ 300 TS because I hoped that would help me at least get an interview at a school. When I took it at the end of July, I ended up with a 310 AA/310TS! I am a terrible test taker and those scores seemed impossible to get, but I did it! I highly if anything to study with the coursesaver.com Chad videos because I really owe all of that hard work and studying to that. I did finish my application shortly after that and ended up with interviews at all of the schools I applied to (including Salus!). I have decided to go to IUSO for Fall 2016 though, but I so happy that I took a year off because I do not know if I could have accomplished all of this without it.

However if you don't want to take a year off, this is what I suggest. I would sign up to take the OAT again today. Schedule it as close to the 90 day mark as you can, maybe sometime in December/early January before classes would be good because you will have a break and can concentrating on the OAT. The second is to get OptomCAS application done as soon as possible. There are a lot of tedious things to fill out and the sooner you get it out of the way the better you will be in the end. I would even go as far to explain your situation about the OAT in your personal statement and how overcoming the obstacle will help you become a better clinician. Personally I would get the tests in before you take the OAT again so that you at least have your name out there and your file can be reviewed. Just let the schools know that you are retaking the OAT. Study as much as you can for the OAT through coursesaver.com and your Kaplin notes. Create a schedule and stick to it. You don't have to make it all day thing. Even at least an hour a day of studying is good in my opinion. Just try to get through all the videos and have time to practice the material before you retake the OAT. Once you do super amazingly well on the OAT, you will be all done if you have already turned in your application! If you do wait to turn in the application until you get results, you can either of course one turn in the application ASAP. Or if you are still unhappy with the scores, I would really suggest taking a year off. You can build up your application in other ways through more shadowing hour, volunteering and other experiences to make you a more well rounded applicant. You will also have more free time to take the OAT one last time and really concentrate on doing well!

Whatever you do, I hope you don't give up now. This is just a small bump in the road that with enough will power you can overcome. Feel free to message me with any questions you may have! I wish you the best.

I totally agree. Word hard and smarter. Use your time wisely and do lots of practice questions, and review them,

Reactions: 1 user
I did horrible and I am very upset I studied like crazy however studying for less than two months was not enough. I really hoped I passed however these grades are killing me. I got a 250, 270, 300, 300 , 270, 210, total science of 260 and AA of 270. I did very poorly on physics. Can you guys please give me realistic advice put your self in my place what would you do? Its just upsetting because I try so hard but it doesn't work. I really wanted to get into Salus but there's no chance with these scores

I struggled with physics too and it's my weak point and was my weak point in undergrad. I made a 250 on the section the first time with a pitiful 13th percentile ... The second time I took the OAT .. My physics section I made a 300 (around like 70% for my exam). I raised my sections by : 2 sections 50 points, one section 20, one the same, and 2 sections 40 points. I went from a 280AA/270TS to a 320AA/310TS .. Yeah it's not the 330+ I was shooting for but my improvement was significant For me to be happy... Whatever you do don't give up. Trust me. The OAT is one of many factors, and if you want it bad enough you'll succeed.. No one can help you get that score but yourself! Also CONFIDENCE when you walk into that test room .. 75% of that day taking that test is determined by how you feel! All about attitude

Second time around I realized I had to get my s**** together and literally focused on that. It was an eye opening to me otherwise I knew I would be stuck in my current job doing what doesn't fulfill me. Reality set in. I work full time and I'm a graduate student so it's do-able. Just a word of advice undergrad is a cake walk to the real world.. So figure it out now you don't have that safety net that you once had during undergrad (coming from my personal experience) I would say I studied a few hours every day and took Friday off... The month before the exam I studied 8 hours Monday-Thursday, Reviewed areas I was weak on Friday(4 hours) , took a practice exam using OAT Achiever each Saturday (4 total) And used Sunday to clarify any areas on the practice exam I missed (8-9 hours). Practice ACTIVE learning. The more problems the better and understand why you got them wrong. Effective Time management is key :)

I thought the OAT Achiever was great to get used to the format and the OAT destroyer physics really saved me. And you can't go wrong with a good ole physics textbook .. Khan academy videos helped me too! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I used Chad's videos to review and relearn the subjects I haven't touched since a couple years ago.
Use Kaplan online free tests to practice, and don't limit yourself to the free OAT exam! I took the practice DAT and PCAT also since their science sections are very similar in difficulty to the OAT (only they don't have physics). The Kaplan physics book is really useful for getting the concepts down. I also recommend the OAT achiever since their questions are more difficult than the actual OAT. The format of the program is EXACTLY like the real OAT, so you will feel way less pressured when you take the actual exam.
For physics I highly HIGHLY recommend memorizing as many of the formulas as you can. Though on my test there was an equal balance of number crunching and conceptual topics, the number crunching ones are easy points if you can easily recall the formulas.
My method for learning was to learn some until I felt like I understood the topics, then practice using practice questions or the OAT achiever, then going back and reviewing what I got wrong, learning again, repeat testing myself etc. I use this method to study for all my classes and it works well for me since I can easily find what i'm weaker in and then spend more time on those areas.
Good luck!!

don't beat yourself up. just study and when you start to improve on practice tests, take it again. last year i scored 260ts and 270 aa with little to no preparation. this year with improved focus, i scored 300ts, and 310 aa. now i'm still a SUCKY test taker, so i know that i can do even better.
i used Chad's, Dat Achiever, Kaplan, Cliffs Bio, Ferrallis Bio notes, and Destroyer.
i honestly feel that i just need more time to go through Destroyer. i was familiar with everything, just not quick enough to find answer on the test.
but i'm going to apply first and wait for the schools to tell me whether they want me to retake!