Low reading on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vuvi1000000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT and i received a 17 in the reading section. I have had 2 interviews and i have been waitlisted by both. I was wondering if it is still possible to get into a school with my reading score?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT and i received a 17 in the reading section. I have had 2 interviews and i have been waitlisted by both. I was wondering if it is still possible to get into a school with my reading score?
yes, it is possible

Members don't see this ad :)
17 in every section is usually the minimum standard for many schools, unless there is some extenuating circumstance. You met that minimum, but if this cycle does not end up working out, I would retake for a more competitive score.

RC is not like QR or even PA section to a lesser degree where schools are lenient; RC is considered very important and for some the most important section besides the AA and TS
RC is considered the benchmark by many schools. Good luck.

I had a 16 on the RC. but a 21 Ts AA and applied to 12 schools got three interviews and one acceptance. its for sure doable

It’s possible, but it’s going to be tough. RC is a very important test section

I don't understand why reading is so important for schools. I probably had the lowest RC in my class and I'm currently ranked number 1 so it doesn't seem to have any correlation whatsoever.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
If I recall correctly, there was some study that showed RC scores had the highest correlation versus the other sections; you're the outlier it seems. My personal belief as to why is because RC "tests" a person's ability to learn new material the best which is the most relavent skill to being a successful dental student imo. Dental school curriculum is very fast paced and is kinda like the RC section where a student has to quickly analyze and quickly comprehend in limited amount of time.
I don't understand why reading is so important for schools. I probably had the lowest RC in my class and I'm currently ranked number 1 so it doesn't seem to have any correlation whatsoever.

Don't let what anyone said on here discourage you. I butchered the RC section equally as bad and got into many great schools including Penn, UCLA, UoP etc, and I'd say I'm doing pretty well in dental school so far.

At the end of the day, people in admissions won't just throw out your application because you have one bad score on one sub section of the DAT. As long as the rest of your application is solid, you'll be fine.

Oh and the whole "RC correlates to success in dental school" is garbage. Most people who do really well on the RC section don't even read the passages - they just skim and look for key words. Not to mention that dental school is just powerpoints with condensed information, so you don't even need reading comprehension. The people who excel in dental school are the ones with the most drive and the best work ethic.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
If I recall correctly, there was some study that showed RC scores had the highest correlation versus the other sections

This statement is very misleading. Yes it had the highest correlation of all the sections, but it was still a VERY LOW correlation overall.

Reactions: 1 user
If I recall correctly, there was some study that showed RC scores had the highest correlation versus the other sections; you're the outlier it seems. My personal belief as to why is because RC "tests" a person's ability to learn new material the best which is the most relavent skill to being a successful dental student imo. Dental school curriculum is very fast paced and is kinda like the RC section where a student has to quickly analyze and quickly comprehend in limited amount of time.

Sorry but they can't make up their mind if Eggs are good or bad yet, I won't take their words on the importance of RC & its implication on succeeding in dental schools.
I would say RC is important, but success in dental schools has more to do with many other factors.

I said I was wrong ;c
Sorry but they can't make up their mind if Eggs are good or bad yet, I won't take their words on the importance of RC & its implication on succeeding in dental schools.
I would say RC is important, but success in dental schools has more to do with many other factors.