Low Stats. Chances and a school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlatIsJustice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked a 50 hours a week while going to school full time which resulted in me graduating with a cGPA of 3.19 and a sGPA of 3.12. Mostly B- to B+ range of grades. No C's

I took the MCAT without any preparation and did terribly as well 496 (about a 23 on the old scale)

80 hours of shadowing
6 years working as a store manager
300 hours volunteering at an Alzheimer's center

I heard that some DO schools like ACOM and BCOM are willing to accept applicants with low stats. Is this true?

What are my chances and what schools should I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

I would study intensively for your MCAT for 2-3 months and retake it - improving it to 500+ (or, ideally 505+) will significantly help your DO application. Make sure you're maximally prepared before you take it.

I would also retake your science classes with the lowest (B or B-) grades to get your sGPA to above a 3.25 (ideally a 3.3 or 3.4). With a 3.3/505, you'll be a much better DO applicant. Right now, you're really not in any shape to be applying.

People with 23-24 do regularly get accepted to schools like LUCOM, BCOM, WCUCOM. I think you have a shot if you apply early and have a compelling story. If you retake the MCAT and score higher though you'd have many more options

You need to retake the MCAT after intensive studying and if you can score greater than 500 you have a chance at some of the newer DO schools. There will also be several others opening by 2018. The people with MCAT scores of 23 (496) that get into DO schools usually have a higher GPA (3.5 or more) to compensate for the low MCAT. You have both a low GPA and a low MCAT so improve both if you can. Schools you could target if you can do so include:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
new schools in Utah, Texas and Arkansas