Low Stats(GPA) but pretty good letters and experience

GNRD93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im really starting to get super nervous about my chances getting into dental school. Im about to apply this upcoming year for fall 2017. Im a senior currently, with a 2.88 cummalative gpa, and I only have 1 semester left. If i get straight As next semester, itll go up to a 3.07. Im taking my DAT in February, and realistically aiming for a 22-24. Do I still have a shot of getting into dental school WITH THESE NUMBERS, at howard dental. or meharry dental? I am applying to a one year masters program in applied molecular biology for fall 2016 in the meantime, just in case. Not sure how much it will help. Also I have rec letters coming from a dentist from howard dental who graduated only 3-4 years ago. Ive been on a student judicial board for 3 years, and have done 4-6 mercy trips in volunteering at free dental clinics. All of this combined, would I still need a masters to get in ANYWHERE?

Members don't see this ad.

This is not a right place for this thread. However u still have a chance to get in if u really get above 22 on yr DAT.
U never know how u are going to do with yr DAT, so i recommend u to do yr master.
By the way, it is hard to get into howard and meharry because they pick specific students.
Hope that helps

This is not a right place for this thread. However u still have a chance to get in if u really get above 22 on yr DAT.
U never know how u are going to do with yr DAT, so i recommend u to do yr master.
By the way, it is hard to get into howard and meharry because they pick specific students.
Hope that helps
Where would I place this thread? Ive just started using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope that helps

Howard University has the most diverse dental school in this country...the "specific students" these dental schools pick are those that identify with the school's mission statement just like every other school in the country; which, at both schools, involves serving underserved populations. If you can effectively convince any school that you identify with their mission statement, you increase your chances of gaining acceptances.

Howard University has the most diverse dental school in this country...the "specific students" these dental schools pick are those that identify with the school's mission statement just like every other school in the country; which, at both schools, involves serving underserved populations. If you can effectively convince any school that you identify with their mission statement, you increase your chances of gaining acceptances.
Obviously thats what all students do in their interviews though is it not? They try to organize their responses to strongly reflect the schools mission statement. Im just trying to get an idea stat wise if I have a chance, assuming that the dentist from howard writing my letter, writes a dam good one

Obviously thats what all students do in their interviews though is it not? They try to organize their responses to strongly reflect the schools mission statement. Im just trying to get an idea stat wise if I have a chance, assuming that the dentist from howard writing my letter, writes a dam good one

My response wasn't direct at you but okay o_O. Everyone isn't a good actor and therefore not able to effectively convey that in their interview (especially if they haven't been properly cultivating their EC's over the years).

My response to you is to take it one step at a time. Take the DAT and see what score you actually get. Then proceed from there. You will likely need to score a little higher on the DAT to compensate for your gpa. Pursuing a master's and doing well in it does mitigate this. Consider taking upper level science courses at a local university for a more cost efficient route (what I did, as my gpa was less than stellar).

My response wasn't direct at you but okay o_O. Everyone isn't a good actor and therefore not able to effectively convey that in their interview (especially if they haven't been properly cultivating their EC's over the years).

My response to you is to take it one step at a time. Take the DAT and see what score you actually get. Then proceed from there. You will likely need to score a little higher on the DAT to compensate for your gpa. Pursuing a master's and doing well in it does mitigate this. Consider taking upper level science courses at a local university for a more cost efficient route (what I did, as my gpa was less than stellar).
Oh sorry, but yeah I go to a STEM school and have already taken heavy courseloads of upperlevel sceincines s 2-3 a semester. I do realize I need to compensate with a higher DAT, just not sure to what extent. If I end up getting a 23 or higher, would I still even need a masters then? Itd save me 20-30k down the road. But I am already applying to that 1 years masters, if I do it though, how will they look at me without a masters GPA but still see that Im doing a masters?

Oh sorry, but yeah I go to a STEM school and have already taken heavy courseloads of upperlevel sceincines s 2-3 a semester. I do realize I need to compensate with a higher DAT, just not sure to what extent. If I end up getting a 23 or higher, would I still even need a masters then? Itd save me 20-30k down the road. But I am already applying to that 1 years masters, if I do it though, how will they look at me without a masters GPA but still see that Im doing a masters?

I also went to a "STEM" school and majored in bio. I took more upper science level courses after graduating (def did not cost me 20-30k). I did this and scored slightly above average on the DAT and gained admittance to my number 1 school. This may or may not work for you as we are two different individuals. Your best bet would be to contact someone at the admissions office for proper guidance.

I also went to a "STEM" school and majored in bio. I took more upper science level courses after graduating (def did not cost me 20-30k). I did this and scored slightly above average on the DAT and gained admittance to my number 1 school. This may or may not work for you as we are two different individuals. Your best bet would be to contact someone at the admissions office for proper guidance.
If you dont mind me asking what was your GPA and DAT?