Low Step 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahartman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that several OB programs have a Step 1 cutoff score of 220. My score is below this but should I still apply to these programs? I have heard that you can still apply if you're below the cutoff if you have good 3rd year grades and Step 2 score. I haven't taken Step 2 yet, but my 3rd year grades have been awesome so far. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to one program where my Step 1 was below their published cutoff. I waited until I had my Step 2 CK score back (in September of my ERAS cycle) and then emailed the coordinator at this program to ask. I included in my email that I was aware that my application didn't meet their Step 1 cutoff, but that I improved on CK (then tell them that score), and that I was really interested in their program for [fill in particular reason]. I ended up getting an interview invitation there, so based on my n=1, I think it is worth your while to spend some attention on the places that you are genuinely interested in. Personally, I wouldn't recommend submitting your ERAS to these programs without touching base with them first, since it's such an easy way for them to rule out your application.

Reactions: 1 user