Low Step 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthHopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yes, just apply smart.

i was in a similar situation and got into a top notch program, in a desirable city. and it wasn't based on my good looks, neither. = )

if you're not competitive, do yourself a favor and expand your application pool. once you start getting interviews, be prepared to explain why you got a bad score, but don't beat yourself up over it. the programs for whom your score is a big deal won't interview you; the programs that are still interested will allow you a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get discouraged first of all. The best thing you can do is improve on your Step 2. Work on the other aspects of your application. Also broaden your application net when you do apply to include a lot of programs. A low Step 1 does not mean you will not match. However, it does mean you may not get as many interviews. Therefore, you have to rely on other elements of your application and do great on the interview trail.

Thanks for the encouragement folks! I assume doing well in 3rd year and doing Anes related research would help.

Would it be best to take July off in 4th year and take Step 2? Would it be worthwhile to do an audition rotation in a different region of the country to show interest?

202 is way better than 199. I know most programs have cutoff of 200, 210 or 220 . At least, your application will not be automatically weeded out by education corrdinators in some programs. If you apply to all the programs, you will score some interviews. Do well in step 2 and be a normal person during interview.

do whatever you have to to get the best step 2 score possible. try and do an away rotation at a realistic program and shine.