Low Toefl- where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veroanalee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My total score Toefl is not improving 83, 85, 84 (3 different years). I work hard during the day, crashing at home. Family is not supporting, they told me that I am not ready for dental school. They may be right, but how can I be ready if I work full-time, plus all duties at home.
I can not afford stop working. I wish I can go to take the toefl in my home country (for a higher score).

My resume looks good, I got NBDE I and II, tons of CE and volunteer activities, research classes, etc...plus I am very positive person.

Please if you know of a program that accepts low toefl let me know/message.
I can not pay caapid fees, hotel, interview clothes ...just for a chance.
I need to be almost sure that my profile could be acceptable there. Do you think some schools like diversity? If that is correct, it could be benefitial for me.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to postgrads.. Aegd or Prosth (Prosth will be my best bet) ... for IDP programs I found it more difficult to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello,
My total score Toefl is not improving 83, 85, 84 (3 different years). I work hard during the day, crashing at home. Family is not supporting, they told me that I am not ready for dental school. They may be right, but how can I be ready if I work full-time, plus all duties at home.
I can not afford stop working. I wish I can go to take the toefl in my home country (for a higher score).

My resume looks good, I got NBDE I and II, tons of CE and volunteer activities, research classes, etc...plus I am very positive person.

Please if you know of a program that accepts low toefl let me know/message.
I can not pay caapid fees, hotel, interview clothes ...just for a chance.
I need to be almost sure that my profile could be acceptable there. Do you think some schools like diversity? If that is correct, it could be benefitial for me.

Thanks a lot!
Your family is right. You are not ready for dental school.
In order to be successful in school, you need to communicate properly, with those scores you can’t. Meaning you will have high chances of failing and be left with loans to pay
There are plenty of resources to improve your English without leaving work. Check TOEFL website, your local community college, books
In regards to schools with low requirements. There are some with low 90s, but unless you are an Eskimo they wouldn’t be enticed to admit you with such bad communication skills
If you set your mind to it, you can get resonable scores within a year or even six months

Members don't see this ad :)
I know plenty of ppl that scored over a 100 and their English sucks... so it doesn’t mean anything.. all this is Just formalities to be able to get in into a dental program.. so long you get an opportunity to be interviewed and you show your English proficiency, you’ll be fine...
But do not get me wrong, a high toefl would give you more chances to be selected for interviews

I know plenty of ppl that scored over a 100 and their English sucks... so it doesn’t mean anything.. all this is Just formalities to be able to get in into a dental program.. so long you get an opportunity to be interviewed and you show your English proficiency, you’ll be fine...
But do not get me wrong, a high toefl would give you more chances to be selected for interviews

You are doing this lady a serious disservice. Someone with 83 score is seriously lacking in one or not good at several parts of TOEFL. Majority of candidates are doing well in reading and listening, but are much worse in writing and speaking, which may give an impression of a bad English
In order to be successful in the application process and subsequently in the dental school and later in their practice, one has to communicate verbally very well

I did the toefl for first time in 2008 with barely any English, I did prepare myself for 6 months prior and I scored 92.
I had to re take it in 2015 because it expires after 2 years, so I did take it without preparing myself, and at that time with much fluent and excellent English and writing skills I scored 81 (I was in the same situation, no time to prepare, I just passed the boards, I just thought, go and Take it).. luckily someone in a program overlooked this score and gave me chance..nowadays patients love me, I have no problems whatsoever writing notes, documents or maintaining a conversation with anybody.
So with all this, even for someone born in an English speaking country, the toefl test is difficult unless you prepare for it.
And just like a said before, with a better score, you’ll have more chances.

Reactions: 1 user
I did the toefl for first time in 2008 with barely any English, I did prepare myself for 6 months prior and I scored 92.
I had to re take it in 2015 because it expires after 2 years, so I did take it without preparing myself, and at that time with much fluent and excellent English and writing skills I scored 81 (I was in the same situation, no time to prepare, I just passed the boards, I just thought, go and Take it).. luckily someone in a program overlooked this score and gave me chance..nowadays patients love me, I have no problems whatsoever writing notes, documents or maintaining a conversation with anybody.
So with all this, even for someone born in an English speaking country, the toefl test is difficult unless you prepare for it.
And just like a said before, with a better score, you’ll have more chances.

That is your subjective opinion. TOEFL is not subjective, it is a reliable test
Schools are less and less inclined now to give “chances “ to subpar applicants

I'm sorry but I personally side with oralcare on this one. TOEFL is child's play compared to SAT. Scored a 112 the first time and English is my third language. Everyone is able to get a good score as long as they practice. So to answer the OP, keep trying. Don't practice exclusively for the TOEFL. Practice to perfect your english overall. Read, listen to music, watch movies without subtitles. And again, if I can do it, everyone can. Good luck and don't give up.

Reactions: 1 users