Low undergrad GPA, but high Master's GPA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archonsbk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just finished my first semester of my master's and I got 3.95 and hopefully I can do well on the spring semester before applying for dental school. But my overall undergrad GPA is 3.1 (my last 70 credits is over 3.6). With decent my last 2 years of undergrad and 1 year of Master's, would the dental schools look at them more than my earlier college years?

I have done research for about 3 and a half years, shadowed, volunteered, and so on. My letters of recommendation should be good and I am planning on taking DAT in late May. And apply for dental schools in early June. I know I haven't taken DAT yet, but if anyone is in the similar situation or you have any advice, I will gladly take it.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 2.9 undergrad. Got a 4.0 in a SMP and a 22 DAT and recieved 4 acceptances this cycle...If you do well on the DAT and apply early you will be fine

Reactions: 2 users
I had a 2.9 undergrad. Got a 4.0 in a SMP and a 22 DAT and recieved 4 acceptances this cycle...If you do well on the DAT and apply early you will be fine
Congrats! Mine isn't SMP though.. Mine is Master of Public Health. So half of my classes are not science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to just make sure you get A's in the science courses you do have. I agree with the others that so long as you do well on your DAT you'll be set for next cycle! Good luck! :luck:

Hi,

I just finished my first semester of my master's and I got 3.95 and hopefully I can do well on the spring semester before applying for dental school. But my overall undergrad GPA is 3.1 (my last 70 credits is over 3.6). With decent my last 2 years of undergrad and 1 year of Master's, would the dental schools look at them more than my earlier college years?

I have done research for about 3 and a half years, shadowed, volunteered, and so on. My letters of recommendation should be good and I am planning on taking DAT in late May. And apply for dental schools in early June. I know I haven't taken DAT yet, but if anyone is in the similar situation or you have any advice, I will gladly take it.

Thank you.
I'd probably accept you..
good sci gpa...check
research...check
volunteering...check
dat...just do well on this and you're set!

My advice is to just make sure you get A's in the science courses you do have. I agree with the others that so long as you do well on your DAT you'll be set for next cycle! Good luck! :luck:

Thank you. I got an A in all my 3 science classes (7 credits)!
I am taking 3 science classes next semester (8 credits).

I'd probably accept you..
good sci gpa...check
research...check
volunteering...check
dat...just do well on this and you're set!

Thank you. My undergrad science GPA in my early college years wasn't great at all. But my last 2 years of undergrad, I got around 3.6 for the science/overall though!
Hopefully, dental schools are generous like you!

[I did not know how old this thread was. Sorry!]

I'm actually at a 2.9 GPA in undergrad right now simply b/c i was a lazy ***** and didn't anything seriously. Any advice on how to get accepted? I'm a little worried about not getting into a master's program because of lousy GPA. Any insight would be helpful :/ also i do have this year and next year to pick things up however most of my sciences classes have already been taken. I can always take more too if that helps