Low VERBAL compared to Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ernieraisin

life is good
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, congrats to everyone who did well on the April MCAT. Looks like there are quite several of you out there.
Question, I understand that many med schools consider the verbal reasoning section to be the most important. I got the following scores: 8V, 11P, 11B, PW (30P). Do you think my low verbal will hurt my chances? I have a cum GPA of 3.55, a Ph.D. in pharmacology, lots of non-medical related volunteers, good LORs...
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

11,11,7 (29Q) speaking here and I am completely dejected. This is honestly the worst possible score i could have gotten. I was consistently breaking 32-34 on the AAMC and some Kaplan exams. I seriously doubt i am going to retake the mcat. I just refuse to do so. Damn verbal. I just cannot see myself improving much more on the verbal because i know it is not the fact that i cannot read and comprehend well, it is just that i cannot get myself to truly focus and understand those passages. I am almost certain i was at least 1-2 questions away from cracking an 8 on it too. This was always my fate when i took the exams.

I know...what kills me is the fact that I may have been 1 or 2 questions away from one more point. But then again, on the flip side, I may have been one question away from going down. I guess its all perspective, huh? Lots of luck to you!!!

:scared:
ernieraisin said:
First off, congrats to everyone who did well on the April MCAT. Looks like there are quite several of you out there.
Question, I understand that many med schools consider the verbal reasoning section to be the most important. I got the following scores: 8V, 11P, 11B, PW (30P). Do you think my low verbal will hurt my chances? I have a cum GPA of 3.55, a Ph.D. in pharmacology, lots of non-medical related volunteers, good LORs...

I'm in a similar situation, with 8V, 14P, 11B, 33Q, so I'm wondering about the same thing. Should I re-take just to try to raise my verbal score? Anyone know the answer to this: do med schools screen out people with 8 or below verbal scores?? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also in a similar situation. 6VR, 13PS, 11BS --> 30M. My composite score is ok but my VR section sucks. Not sure what to do. My GPA is 3.85 though so this might help. Any thoughts will be helpful.

I'm in a similiar situation
PS 12
VR: 8
BS: 13
WS:Q
33Q

people have gotten in with as low as a 3 on verbal. Make sure your GPA from english classes are strong. They can figure out that something went wrong on the MCAT, and that you're not just "kinda slow."

I've also heard that a when verbal is low, they can use WS as a flag simply to see if your communication skills are...well...existent. If your WS is decent it can possibly offset your VR(since you guys have good composite scores), but what do I know I'm just spreading rumors here :p

I am in the same boat:
8V 11BS 12PS. I was getting all 10s on the AAMC verbals. What the hell? Anyway I have As in my english classes..I have As in my philosophy minor and get this...an R on the writting sample. I hate verbal mostly becuase it doesn't test anything. I understand the passages, but I always get stuck between two answer choices, and because of time limitations, I can't sit and debate all day, which means I probably always chose the "trap" answer. Philosophy make you over-analytical. I think I have good critical thinking skills, reading comprehension skills and communction skills based on the many other aspects of my academic career. I hope things of this nature help Adcoms look past a fluke 8 on the MCAT. I feel everyones pain.

Seems like a lot of people had disappointing verbal scores. I was getting consistent 11s and 12s on practice tests (AAMC, EK), but ended up with a 9 on the real thing. My cumulative score is above 30 though, so I'm not going to bother to retake.

I know one person get 6 and another one got 7 on verbal, and both of them got into a medical school. You guys can as well.

Your stats are fine. You're right at the average for matriculants. You have an unique background because 1) you're a non-traditional applicant and 2) you have a PhD in Pharm. The 8 on verbal will hinder your application, but it will in no way eliminate you from medical school.

Apply early to a wide range of schools and , take advantage of your background. You'll be ok.

ernieraisin said:

Yeah, I was curious what my 9 in verbal would say with a 15 in PS and a 13 in BS. I ended up getting a 37P so I'm not saying that I'm afraid that I wont get in, just that I think this distribution of points is probably the worst combo for a 37 score. ( don't be sticklers and say "no a 15 7 15 would be worse") You know what I mean. The reason I post is to see if anyone has any hearsay on whether it is bad to have this spread or not?

OwnageMobile said:
Yeah, I was curious what my 9 in verbal would say with a 15 in PS and a 13 in BS. I ended up getting a 37P so I'm not saying that I'm afraid that I wont get in, just that I think this distribution of points is probably the worst combo for a 37 score. ( don't be sticklers and say "no a 15 7 15 would be worse") You know what I mean. The reason I post is to see if anyone has any hearsay on whether it is bad to have this spread or not?

you may not be able to get into Harvard.... ;) ;)

lealf-ye said:
you may not be able to get into Harvard.... ;) ;)

;) Exactly.

9 is by no means a horrible score and the fact that you made a 37 gives you no right to complain...

safeflower said:
;) Exactly.

9 is by no means a horrible score and the fact that you made a 37 gives you no right to complain...

You see, this is exactly the post I was trying to avoid. Im not complaining. Just looking for information as we all do on this forum. :mad: