Lower GPA, Decent MCAT WAMC/School List (3.62/517)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hunter22

Reaction score
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • 3.62cGPA/3.42sGPA – Economics major
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 517 (130/127/130/130)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • IL
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • White
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • Top State School
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • 2500 hrs medical assistant in ER
    • 750 hrs pharmacy tech
    • 320 hrs free clinic volunteer
  • Research experience and productivity
    • 1000 hrs clinical research, no pubs/posters
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 40 hrs plastic surgery
    • 30 hrs dermatology
    • 30 hrs emergency med
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 150 hrs tutoring
    • 100 hrs food drives/fundraising
Current school list: Northwestern, UChicago, Loyola, Rush, Rosalind, UIC, SIU, Albany, Arizona, BU, Case Western, Hofstra, Drexel, Duke, Emory, Quinnipiac, Dartmouth, Kaiser, USC, Mayo, Penn State, SLU, SUNY upstate/downstate, Texas A&M, Brown, Tufts, Tulane, UCLA, Miami Miller, Michigan, Minnesota, UNC, Wisconsin, VCU, Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please exclude fundraising from non-clinical community service. Tutoring will not show service orientation. You are left with fewer than 150 hours which puts your application at risk of being denied at screening.

Your low sGPA will hold you back at many of the schools you are targeting. Is there a downward trend? Several of the schools on your list also take few OOS students without strong ties.

I suggest:

Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
UIC
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Hackensack
Wake
Wayne State
Oakland
Western Michigan
Creighton
Vermont
Nova MD
USF
Belmont (when it opens)

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you live in IL? Unless you live south ofvI80 don’t apply to SIU. THEY are pretty specific in their geographic recruitment area.

Reactions: 1 user
Your low sGPA will hold you back at many of the schools you are targeting. Is there a downward trend? Several of the schools on your list also take few OOS students without strong ties.

I suggest:

Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
UIC
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Hackensack
Wake
Wayne State
Oakland
Western Michigan
Creighton
Vermont
Nova MD
USF
Belmont (when it opens)
Would a post bacc program and a couple gap years be more beneficial?

I mean for science. These don’t add up to the 3.42.
Sorry that was for my cGPA. sGPA trend is 3.51, 3.56, 2.81, 3.72... I struggled a bit during my junior year with living on my own for the first time and dealing with time management. Which I know is not a super valid excuse. I had some maturity issues.

Sorry that was for my cGPA. sGPA trend is 3.51, 3.56, 2.81, 3.72... I struggled a bit during my junior year with living on my own for the first time and dealing with time management. Which I know is not a super valid excuse. I had some maturity issues.
Up to you whether you want to take upper division sciences as part of a DIY post bacc for a year (and volunteer on the side). You could try applying with the suggested list now and perhaps add CCOM, PCOM, and KCU.

Up to you whether you want to take upper division sciences as part of a DIY post bacc for a year (and volunteer on the side). You could try applying with the suggested list now and perhaps add CCOM, PCOM, and KCU.
Is there a specific number of postbacc credits I should be aiming for?