Lower stats, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwlk42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just feel that I need to talk to some people about this who understand whats going on, and could give me some honest advice. Anything is helpful, thanks.

I'm a California resident, and a graduating senior right now. I haven't calculated my AMCAS GPA yet (does it do it automatically somewhere for you?) but based on my college transcript, I have a 3.3 sGPA and a 3.4 cGPA and a 30 MCAT.
I have somewhere upwards of 1000 research hours (I don't know if more matters after a certain point, but i've been doing it for roughly 3 years now) and one publication, but not 1st or 2nd author
~250 hours just volunteering at the hospital
~50 volunteering with autistic children
~100 volunteering at old-persons home
~50-75 hours shadowing

I know my GPA is low, and my MCAT doesn't really make up for it. I don't have any delusions of getting into any of the top medical schools, or even a middle tier one. But what are my chances of getting into a med school period? Applying is very expensive (obviously) so how many schools do you think a person in my position should reasonably apply to and have a chance of getting in? I am also applying DO, but I havent started the process of finding schools for that yet, are there any general ones that you guys would recommend with my stats?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You are a competitive applicant for any DO school, but MD is likely to be out of reach. If you're trying to limit financial burden, it might be a better idea to just apply purely DO. About 1 in 3 applicants with your stats gets an acceptance to an MD school, so it's not looking great on that end.

Thanks for the reply! If my chances are 1/3, I think I could accept those odds, at that point its worth applying to at least a few schools, right? Maybe in the range of 15?

If you have money to burn go ahead and apply anywhere you want! Just know your stats (all of them) are below average for MD school!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app