Lowest admitted scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiny2533

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the lowest DAT scores most schools will accept are? I am referring to all the scores not just the three general ones.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. Some schools don't say what their cut off is but those that do claim ~15 is the minimum. If you get below their cut off, they discard your application. I believe it is around 15 for each section for most schools.

tiny2533 said:
Does anyone know what the lowest DAT scores most schools will accept are? I am referring to all the scores not just the three general ones.

Here's mine:
18/19/20
20-chem
20-o-chem
18-bio
18-RC
15-math :eek: :oops:

GPA -3.30
Sci GPA -3.27 (AADSAS)

So far, got accepted to Case and NYU and waitlisted at NOVA, SUNY, Indiana. Going to OSU January 8 and canceled intervews at Boston and U of Pitt. The key is to apply early and have a well-rounded resume including LOR's, personal statement, research and extra activities. Don't forget about shadowing at a dentist.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

hey i recently got my score for the CDAT. does anyone have any experience with CDAT scores and if they are equal to american admission standards

Reading- 20
Bio- 18
Chem 19
science total 19
academic avg 19
perception 16
carving ****
so can anyone tell me how good these scores are for admission in american dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
to the OP,

you could never d\really determine the exact cutoff. it really depends on the school and even then you really dont know. what do i mean?

ok, i had a RC 15 and i was really worried that i wouldnt get in anywhere. i ended up at IUSD and i found out two people that got in with lower scores than that. one had a PAT of 14 and the other PAT of 13. that goes to show you that you really never know. now if you ask me 100 times if you would get in with those scores my answer would be "NO" 100 times.

the thing to remember is that your admission doesnt solely depend on your DAT scores. sure they have a huge impact on your chances, but its not the only thing that the adcoms look at.

wannabdoc1 said:
hey i recently got my score for the CDAT. does anyone have any experience with CDAT scores and if they are equal to american admission standards

Reading- 20
Bio- 18
Chem 19
science total 19
academic avg 19
perception 16
carving ****
so can anyone tell me how good these scores are for admission in american dental school

the two exams are fairly equal..although the u.s schools do prefer you write the american dats because they don't care about soap carving. your scores are not bad at all..perception is low though but if your gpa is good it shouldn't be too big a problem. overall your scores should fall around the averages..

I've heard the same thing...15 minimum in everything for most schools. However, it probably varies from school to school. Also, I've heard that some schools emphasize the PAT more than others. I had a friend that did well in everything but the PAT (and math) and she said to show her "visual perception" she brough in little carvings of sculptures she made just in case it was addressed at the interview. And, just so you know, it wasn't adressed and she got into every school anyway, so like many people have said, I do think there are many other factors that influence your chances.

I just took the DAT five days ago (just to get it out of the way) and I did well overall, but my reading and math were lower. Here are my scores:

RDG: 18
MTH: 17
BIO : 23
CHM: 25
ORG: 29

PAT: 20
AA: 22
TS: 24

My advisor told me to retake it because of the math and reading, but after reading some of posts at this site, I don't think she's right. However, I am looking to see if I can get a scholarship at U Penn and I don't know if this will lower my chances...we'll have to see.

Anyway, Happy New Year!

MSZ said:
I've heard the same thing...15 minimum in everything for most schools. However, it probably varies from school to school. Also, I've heard that some schools emphasize the PAT more than others. I had a friend that did well in everything but the PAT (and math) and she said to show her "visual perception" she brough in little carvings of sculptures she made just in case it was addressed at the interview. And, just so you know, it wasn't adressed and she got into every school anyway, so like many people have said, I do think there are many other factors that influence your chances.

I just took the DAT five days ago (just to get it out of the way) and I did well overall, but my reading and math were lower. Here are my scores:

My advisor told me to retake it because of the math and reading, but after reading some of posts at this site, I don't think she's right. However, I am looking to see if I can get a scholarship at U Penn and I don't know if this will lower my chances...we'll have to see.

Anyway, Happy New Year!

Your scores are unreal. Congratulations! Can you give me the name and # of your "advisor"? I'd like to hear her expert, sage counsel on why a 22/24/20 4.0 GPA student has no chance of gaining acceptance into d-school. Wow..if I were you I'd blacklist her and make sure she never works in your town again. She has probably made a lot of good candidates very nervous for no apparent reason. Shame shame..

MSZ said:

Anyway, Happy New Year!

BUBB is right on the money. if your school has such an advisor, then you need to do your fellow students at your school a favor and turn this advisor in. obviously, he/she doesnt qualify as an advisor. she is stealing money from the school and needs a job change.

i will bet all my money that you will get in at every school.

congrats on doing a fine job on the DAT.

Thanks pbure and perfect for your confidence. It's unfortunate that this advisor is the head of the Health Professions Committee that writes and compiles a letter for any pre-med or pre-dental student. She does scare away a lot of people actually. It's a shame that she has to be so discouraging. After seeing a lot of posts at this site, I'm realizing that her standards are just crazy. I'll make sure to spread the word at school ;)

hey msz, congrats on ur awesome scores, my question to you was how the dat u took a few days ago? i was wondering if you could let us know what the dat concentrated on in biology, chem, and orgo especially, ( i plan on taking it in about a few weeks). thanks a lot.

MSZ said:
Thanks pbure and perfect for your confidence. It's unfortunate that this advisor is the head of the Health Professions Committee that writes and compiles a letter for any pre-med or pre-dental student. She does scare away a lot of people actually. It's a shame that she has to be so discouraging. After seeing a lot of posts at this site, I'm realizing that her standards are just crazy. I'll make sure to spread the word at school ;)

her standards arent just crazy. i really really think she is out of her fuxxxxx mind. sorry for the language but she doesnt know what she is doing and i dont like being where they dont belong.

my 4 yr old will tell you that your gpa and DAT are waaaaaaay above average.

Here are my scores:
AA:17
Bio:17
PAT:18
RC:19
OC:19
GC:19
QR:13 :oops: (oops)
TS:18

University of Maryland is the only school that had a problem with my 13 in QR. All others said not to worry about it. I guess it depends on the schools your applying to. I'm starting d-school this fall so while one low score may not keep you from getting into d-school, it could keep you from getting into the school of your choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mothuggy, Here's the break down for the DAT sciences:

Biology: photosynthesis, cell respiration, ecology, immunology, symbiotic relationships, a lot of cellular things, little bit of embryology. i would say mine was mostly cell based and not so much of the organismal level was emphasized.

Chemistry: acid/base, pKa estimations with pH, very little enthalpy/entropy, very little on periodic trends (almost none at all), many mole conversions, density, stoichiometry (big time, but you don't have to do the calculations), gas laws (few of those), few orbital questions, couple of Lewis structures and VESPR, oh, and there was quite a bit of oxidation and reduction on there...which is the reducing agt, what's the oxidation number of P in HP04, that kind of thing.

Organic: BIG TIME on the electroaromatic substitution rxns (know your ortho, meta, para), big time on the acidity and basicity for the EAS rxns (know which groups are withdrawing and which are not), only two rxns (but they were simple nucleophilic substitution rxns), two nomenclature questions, no separation technique questions, lots of E2, E1, SN2, SN1 questions.

If I remember anything else, I will let you know. Good luck!

Interesting. My pre-dent advisor at San Jose State U. says a minimum of 19 is necessary to be competitive for someone with a 3.0.

Does anyone know how the heck you improve on your Reading Comp???!! Is it near impossible? Is it one of those things: you're either good at it or you're not; if you aren't good at it by now, you won't be by the time your test comes around. :oops:

I seem to never be able to finish the darn section. :(

wuwu81 said:
Does anyone know how the heck you improve on your Reading Comp???!! Is it near impossible? Is it one of those things: you're either good at it or you're not; if you aren't good at it by now, you won't be by the time your test comes around. :oops:

That's a good classic question. And if you do a search in the forum, you will find many answers that are much more helpful than what I have to provide.

It is absolutely possible to improve. Trust me. I know. It is far from the verbal reasoning in MCAT. Keep working and practice, and you will do well. After all, the answers are right there!

wuwu81 said:

most definitely. i went from 16 to 21 just by using a different technique. it's definitely all about which technique you are most comfortable with. i agree w/ the previous poster that if you do a forum search you'll find some really great suggestions. to briefly list a few:

1. read entire passage. map out by paragraph topic. answer questions.
2. look at questions first and then read passage.
3. read first sentence of each paragraph. then answer questions.

it goes on and on. find the best one for you by testing them out!

tiny2533 said:

I scored a 14 on the quantitative reasoning, with an overall of 18AA, 19TS, 17PAT. I was accepted to UNLV, CASE, MARQUETTE. I do know that Marquettes minimum is a 13. I believe that some are even as low as 12. I wouldn't shoot for anything below a 16 if I were you, not that you are. If you do have a lower score make sure that it isn't biology or reading, those two are very important in the admission decisions!

DIRTIE said:
I scored a 14 on the quantitative reasoning, with an overall of 18AA, 19TS, 17PAT. I was accepted to UNLV, CASE, MARQUETTE. I do know that Marquettes minimum is a 13. I believe that some are even as low as 12. I wouldn't shoot for anything below a 16 if I were you, not that you are. If you do have a lower score make sure that it isn't biology or reading, those two are very important in the admission decisions!

Just to add my 3cents: I too have heard that admission committees look at the Biology and reading section with a little more scruitny as well.

wuwu81 said:

Ok so this may seem like a dumb question but do you get 50 mins or 60 mins on the reading comp.....for some reason I can't remember.....the Kaplan course says you get 50 mins for the midterm.....but the ADA site says 60 for the exam....i have taken this exam twice but i can't remember how much time you get for reading comp.

wuwu81 said:
THanks for the suggestions about the reading comp improvements. :)

i guess that method works for some people personaly i took my dat the first time and read the passage first and ran out of time the second time around i read each question then looked for the answer in the passage its quicker than reading the whole passage and it limits the memorization second time i got a 19 so i believe that it works much better this way...good luck