LPC to MSW worth the switch? Balanced perspective needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

riverpoint

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I am currently at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary pursuing a master's degree in counseling. The program is not yet CACREP accredited, but they are in process. Even though it is at a seminary, the counseling program is medically based and very similar to any other program at a non-religious institution. I am able to sit for licensure in VA, and academically, the course curriculum matches CACREP requirements (particularly in VA where I live). Therefore I am not completely sure if it is a big deal that they are not accredited. Can someone speak to that?

Most recently I have discovered the field of social work. I continue to read that it opens up MORE doors than a counseling degree and that it is a stronger base all together. If I wanted to, I could take my six counseling courses and transfer them into a social work program as electives and begin again at the neighboring (accredited) school this fall.

My questions are:
1. Would this improve my marketability? (IE how MUCH is open to M.S.W's that would not be open to counselors and vice versa)
2. I am a year into the program at GCTS. Would it be worth the switch (it is an extra year of school and would be costly--guessing $15,000 extra)? If so, why?

****As per my career goals, Although I see myself perhaps privately counseling one day, I do not see myself, particularly as a mental health counselor dealing with psychological issues alone all day. I could see myself as perhaps a school counselor, rehabilitation counselor, career counselor, higher education counselor...or anywhere where I am working to help a person achieve a particular goal...means to an end. I wouldn't mind helping an individual locate resources that they need to succeed.
***I have an additional masters in education and undergraduate in therapeutic recreation.

My biggest concern: Would it be to my detriment if I did not switch--in light of the fact I do not want to be a mental health counselor? What job prospects might I face otherwise?

Thanks for reading and responding!!!
 
Last edited: