LPC to MSW worth the switch? Balanced perspective needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverpoint

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary pursuing a master's degree in counseling. The program is not yet CACREP accredited, but they are in process. Even though it is at a seminary, the counseling program is medically based and very similar to any other program at a non-religious institution. I am able to sit for licensure in VA, and academically, the course curriculum matches CACREP requirements (particularly in VA where I live). Therefore I am not completely sure if it is a big deal that they are not accredited. Can someone speak to that?

Most recently I have discovered the field of social work. I continue to read that it opens up MORE doors than a counseling degree and that it is a stronger base all together. If I wanted to, I could take my six counseling courses and transfer them into a social work program as electives and begin again at the neighboring (accredited) school this fall.

My questions are:
1. Would this improve my marketability? (IE how MUCH is open to M.S.W's that would not be open to counselors and vice versa)
2. I am a year into the program at GCTS. Would it be worth the switch (it is an extra year of school and would be costly--guessing $15,000 extra)? If so, why?

****As per my career goals, Although I see myself perhaps privately counseling one day, I do not see myself, particularly as a mental health counselor dealing with psychological issues alone all day. I could see myself as perhaps a school counselor, rehabilitation counselor, career counselor, higher education counselor...or anywhere where I am working to help a person achieve a particular goal...means to an end. I wouldn't mind helping an individual locate resources that they need to succeed.
***I have an additional masters in education and undergraduate in therapeutic recreation.

My biggest concern: Would it be to my detriment if I did not switch--in light of the fact I do not want to be a mental health counselor? What job prospects might I face otherwise?

Thanks for reading and responding!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: