LPN to Premed - is the RN worth getting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SymphonyNo4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an LPN doing prereqs for an RN program. I'm not in the program yet, but I've made up my mind to pursue an MD (I was 3 years into a bio/chem degree started about 10 years ago, and have regretted stopping ever since).

I'm 26, the RN (ADN) would be another year - would it be worth pursuing, or should I jump back into finishing my bachelors and the premed path?

I plan to work weekends only while undergrad, and here RN's make $6-$8 more than LPN's.

So - would it be beneficial to continue for my RN..?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently an LPN doing prereqs for an RN program. I'm not in the program yet, but I've made up my mind to pursue an MD (I was 3 years into a bio/chem degree started about 10 years ago, and have regretted stopping ever since).

I'm 26, the RN (ADN) would be another year - would it be worth pursuing, or should I jump back into finishing my bachelors and the premed path?

I plan to work weekends only while undergrad, and here RN's make $6-$8 more than LPN's.

You're probably the only one who can crunch the numbers and see which path is worth it. Might want to find out if you'll be able to work any weekends while in med school vs having your nose in books all the time.

If you are certain you want to do the MD and you think you can support yourself financially working weekends as an LPN then I would say to not pursue the RN. You might be a little more money in the short term but using all that time and energy to pursue an RN is going to take away from your focus into the pre-med program which is difficult enough. Also, the RN won't help you in the MD admissions process. For the purposes of getting into to medical school grades/MCAT far outweigh extracurricular activities (which is how med schools see jobs)

If you can swing it financially I would say to focus on getting into med school. That is going to take all your energy. Btw, in med school working part time is hard to imagine since the commitment is so great. Its highly discouraged at my school. So, essentially you would only be benefitting from the the RN while you were premed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. I don't think the time spent obtaining the RN will pay for itself.

One of my favorite general surgeons worked his way through med school as a LPN. His partner used to be an orderly (back in the days when we had those) and they had worked together as nurse-orderly, and are now in practice together 30 years later, lol. Both neat guys.

Good luck.

Nope. Go to medical school. Take out loans. You would lose a year of Physician salary(probably a few since your not even finished with the preqs yet.)
Also working weekends will be pretty hard. I do know one RN that works QThursday night from what I hear but I don't know how he does it.

Summer is a possiblity. I work like a slave majority of the summer, build my account up to the point where I can pay for bills for six months and then work Xmas/Spring breaks(I take a few days off during all breaks though I am not going to kill myself believe me lol)

Again I would go to medical school asap. If your worried about loosing time with your family then NP/PA schools are VERY good careers to consider.

Sorry but typing this quick before break is up. gl

Nope. Go to medical school. Take out loans. You would lose a year of Physician salary (probably a few since your not even finished with the preqs yet.)
Also working weekends will be pretty hard.

Agree. An extra $50/wk for a few years < 1 year's MD salary.

I'm currently an LPN working strictly weekends pulling 32 hrs shift. Is it tough? HELL YES! but I need the money. Already send in my apps and waiting to get verified :). I don't have a kids, but I take care of my parents and sister. It's tough but if it's something you want, you'll find the energy.

If your'e definitely aiming for med school, I would skip the RN and get your bachelors, pre-reqs, and MCAT out of the way as soon as possible. You're not getting any younger and this is a long, long path.

The other alternative that I would urge you to consider is getting your RN/BSN and then pursuing a NP degree. It's way easier, the salary tends to be good, and you'll still have a life.