LSU-New Orleans vs. Tulane Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lebman12366

Reaction score
LSU-New Orleans

pros
-significantly cheaper(around 30,000/year for in-state)
-nicer facilities

cons
-most students match mainly in the south(I am interested in going to northeast for residency)
-H/HP/P curriculum
-less nationally recognized?

Tulane Medical School

pros
-better name recognition?
-P/F curriculum(with internal ranking)
-most students match to the northeast or west coast

cons
-much more expensive(around 70,000/year)
-more outdated facilities

career goals: I am from Louisiana, but I would like to pursue an academic carer and ideally match somewhere in the northeast. The real dilemma is figuring out if the difference between LSU and Tulane will have a significant impact on my career and if that impact, assuming it even exists, is worth paying over double the tuition

Members don't see this ad.

LSU-New Orleans

pros
-significantly cheaper(around 30,000/year for in-state)
-nicer facilities

cons
-most students match mainly in the south(I am interested in going to northeast for residency)
-H/HP/P curriculum
-less nationally recognized?

Tulane Medical School

pros
-better name recognition?
-P/F curriculum(with internal ranking)
-most students match to the northeast or west coast

cons
-much more expensive(around 70,000/year)
-more outdated facilities

career goals: I am from Louisiana, but I would like to pursue an academic carer and ideally match somewhere in the northeast. The real dilemma is figuring out if the difference between LSU and Tulane will have a significant impact on my career and if that impact, assuming it even exists, is worth paying over double the tuition
LSU by a mile. Main reason: cost. Name recognition- not a big difference between the two. Tulane is a nice program, but they have too much baggage between the old facilities, the situation with Tulane Medical Center and LCMC, and the ACGME scandal with one of its residency programs in 2021. Yeah most of LSU grads stay in the south, but people do match in the northeast.

Reactions: 2 users
The difference in match locations is likely due to the fact LSU is essentially all in-state students while Tulane is a private school that a lot of students apply to since they take so many non-Louisiana residents.

Reactions: 1 users
LSU alone for the cheaper tuition friend! Was also between the too but chose LSU for tuition and I'm content with my decision. Lemme know if you have questions! Going on year 2