Lumbar Sympathetic Block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorCHOMPions

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had an orthopedic surgeon in my community suggest LSB frequently for "possible CRPS". Some of these are highly questionable but on occasion CRPS seems remotely possible. Who still does these? I did a couple in training but not since then. If I did proceed, should I have any special monitoring or meds handy? Would you recommend an SCS trial instead if CRPS is possible, and they've failed a couple traditional meds?

How would you politely tell the surgeon you don't think it's CRPS, or that an LSB is not warranted?

Members don't see this ad.

Warning! Do not discuss with the surgeon. Simply very gratefully see all the referrals and then perhaps suggest to the patients a LSB is not going to help much. If you want to go further, send the surgeon a review article on the subject. This is based on personal experience. YMMV!

Reactions: 1 user
We do a fair amount. It only works in combination with a good Physical Therapist. We try and do ours early in the morning and have them go to PT right after.

No special monitoring, though I do get IV access beforehand. I use 8cc of 0.50% ropivicaine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did one this AM.

Valium 5mg, no IV, no monitoring.

Sympathetic blocks are field blocks at the end of the day. If it is post op neuralgia, do the procedure. CRPS, do the procedure.

They are probably the least effective procedure I do

Reactions: 2 users
If they don’t meet Budapest criteria don’t even bother.. I have since started referring to the hot shot Interventional radiologists who can and do inject anything and do with multi axial imaging.. due to the risk and piss poor reimbursement.

I’m surprised people say the LSB is ineffective. I’m selective in who gets it. Usually people have failed multiple epidurals from another pain physician or been told the only option is a SCS. I will start gabapentin/lyrica, TCA and SNRI to make sure we make some progress however minimal. For patients who can afford it I go with a compounded cream. Then they can trial a LSB. I put ketamine and ropi or bupi and tell them I am buying them a window to engage in PT. This takes awhile to go over but I feel it is a complete plan. Just my two cents.

If they don’t meet Budapest criteria don’t even bother.. I have since started referring to the hot shot Interventional radiologists who can and do inject anything and do with multi axial imaging.. due to the risk and piss poor reimbursement.

Interesting. I can understand part of the rationale. However, many CRPS patients also eventually require SCS. Do you care about losing out on those stims?

However, many CRPS patients also eventually require SCS.
that seems population dependent.

to wit, more often than not patients have resolution over time and overall most CRPS patients do not require neuromodulation.

now the ones that we typically see with chronic disease, i agree they may benefit from neuromodulation.

if i am seeing an acute CRPS, i am not discussing neuromodulation with them. im doing bisphophonates, possibly steroids, and primarily complementary therapy such as PT and if interested psychology.

to wit, more often than not patients have resolution over time and overall most CRPS patients do not require neuromodulation.

now the ones that we typically see with chronic disease, i agree they may benefit from neuromodulation.

if i am seeing an acute CRPS, i am not discussing neuromodulation with them. im doing bisphophonates, possibly steroids, and primarily complementary therapy such as PT and if interested psychology.
What is your bisphosphonate and dosing?

In acute cases mirror therapy is worthwhile: Using Mirror Therapy to Reduce Pain and Improve Movement

alendronate 10 mg daily for 2 months.

of note, not all insurances approve for crps.

and some data suggests IV works better, but wait to get in to see endocrine in this area is months, so thats why i tried it.

Interesting. I can understand part of the rationale. However, many CRPS patients also eventually require SCS. Do you care about losing out on those stims?
Most patients I discuss stim with don’t want any part of an implantable device. They seem to prefer going down a pathway of injection, or failing that medication.

I’ve revised my SCS pitch a couple times over and still most of my patient population wants nothing to do with them.

That being said, my current shop does a fair amount of LSB + PT for lower extremity issues or regional block + PT for upper extremity issues. Probably 50% improve, 50% no better.

I don’t do scs anymore. I offer to refer them to someone who does. I really am not a huge fan of it anymore.

Most patients I discuss stim with don’t want any part of an implantable device. They seem to prefer going down a pathway of injection, or failing that medication.

I’ve revised my SCS pitch a couple times over and still most of my patient population wants nothing to do with them.

That being said, my current shop does a fair amount of LSB + PT for lower extremity issues or regional block + PT for upper extremity issues. Probably 50% improve, 50% no better.

I understand that most patients would prefer an injection and meds over SCS. So would I.

As long as those meds aren’t COT.

I’m happy to try a sympathetic block and trial CRPS patients on multiple neuropathic meds.

But if they fail the pt, temp relief with block, and fail more than 3-4 different neuropathic meds, then I give them the option of living with it vs SCS.
I don’t give them the COT option. If they ask I say no.

Reactions: 2 users
LSBs are harder as the ganglia aren't as lumped up as the stellate is. 10-20 mL per side. Sometimes a multi-level injection to get better spread with L2 plus L4.

It's a poor man's stim trial in my opinion, but great to avoid the implant if they can get better with PT/desensitization.

the option they should choose is more PT and CBT and EAAT.

but that often isnt what they are seeking, because they'd rather have the quick fix.

I do some, but it's definitely not well-paid. I usually insert two needles at the L2 and L3 levels. The block has been reliable, but the relief is usually short-lived.