Lysosome, autolysis, lethality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluoropHore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK this is stupid, but:
EK says when lysosomes bursts, it will kill the cell= autolysis.
but, another says (and correct, if i know anything about acid/bases), it wont since the [H+] will be diluted.
Autolysis is only when MANY lysosomes burst correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Lysosomes contain enzymes that will degrade the organelles in the cell, causing it to die.

buuut In one book it says the cell has mechanisms to counteract the lysosome bursting, it meant the pH change wont kill the cell. so whats the point of having "mechanisms" if the enzymes will just kill the cell?

Sorry, disregard my last comment. Heres my real Q:

Shouldnt the enzymes be deactivated once the lysosome burts because the enzymes are only optimal at low pHs and the pH of the cytosol is 7.4?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, disregard my last comment. Heres my real Q:

Shouldnt the enzymes be deactivated once the lysosome burts because the enzymes are only optimal at low pHs and the pH of the cytosol is 7.4?

The bursting of the lysosome will also release its acidic content, giving the enzymes time to properly degrade the organelles of the cell.

Just think of the acrosome on a sperm. It helps the sperm move towards the egg with the enzymes it contains. That's not really a great analogy, but more review lol.

The bursting of the lysosome will also release its acidic content, giving the enzymes time to properly degrade the organelles of the cell.

Just think of the acrosome on a sperm. It helps the sperm move towards the egg with the enzymes it contains. That's not really a great analogy, but more review lol.

lysosomes are tiny vesicles. tiny, tiny vesicles. if one lysosome bursts, there won't be much effect. if every lysosome bursts, then i think we'll see something.

lysosomes are tiny vesicles. tiny, tiny vesicles. if one lysosome bursts, there won't be much effect. if every lysosome bursts, then i think we'll see something.

I'm thinking that there's a positive feedback to the mechanism of autolysis. When one lysosome bursts, it promotes bursting in other lysosomes.

so autolysis by definition is multiple lysosomes bursting= death?

is there a situation where only one would burst?

one lysosome bursting will not cause damage to the cell because the amount of H+ released into the cell is minuscule relative to the environment. The only way it would cause damage is if many lysosomes burst. This would effectively decrease the pH of the cell and this would cause the lysozymes to become active and degrade things in the cell. Also, whoever said something about a positive feedback loop with lysosomes bursting, I don't think that's correct. I've actually never heard of such a thing either...

Lysosomes contain enzymes that will degrade the organelles in the cell, causing it to die.

Lysosomal enzymes require low pH to work (like pepsin). They will be deactivated once emptied out into the cell.

Again, if you dumped 1mL of gastric fluid into the small intestine, pepsin isn't going to degrade anything because it won't be in acidic solution anymore.

I'm thinking that there's a positive feedback to the mechanism of autolysis. When one lysosome bursts, it promotes bursting in other lysosomes.

Whether or not this is true I don't know, but I haven't heard of such a thing.

A single lysosome bursting within a cell is like getting a cut on your arm. Yea you might bleed a little, but you're not going to die from blood loss.