M2 question for Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Global Warming

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Rad Onc community!

I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post this, but here it goes. I'm a rising M2 (Top 30 MD) that's very interested in Rad Onc. I've done my research and it seems that the most important thing, in terms of my residency application, is research.

Hypothetically, if I had 10 publications (mix between bench/clinical & 1st/2nd/3rd author papers), presented at conferences (winning best presentations, etc)...I was wondering how strong does something like this make my application. I completely understand that an application is based on many things, interviewing, etc. But really I wanted to know the answer to this narrow question because I'm aiming to do residency in California, which can be incredibly competitive, especially in a competitive specialty.

Is doing research in the field of Rad Onc a "requirement?"

Anyways, thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a stupidly competitive field that is only growing more so... and its not being reflected by the numbers. There's no "back door" into Rad Onc the way there is with plastics or derm, so you don't see as many applications because most of the strong-but-not-strong-enough applicants get filtered out before the gates are even opened. Doing research is more than a requirement, especially if you're aiming for only 1 of... I don't know, like, 15 spots (best case scenario) in a single state.

If you want to come to California more than you want to do Rad Onc, then do something else and invariably increase your chances of coming to California. If it wouldn't kill you to live somewhere else for 4 more years, then do Rad Onc. Even if you have a 260, a PhD, 2 Nature publications, and AOA, you still might not get into a specific program because somebody could think you're too much of a golden boy (or girl, I won't hate) and decide they don't like you.

Members don't see this ad :)
But really I wanted to know the answer to this narrow question because I'm aiming to do residency in California, which can be incredibly competitive, especially in a competitive specialty.

Is doing research in the field of Rad Onc a "requirement?"

I had a very large number of research experiences when I applied to rad onc including 5 first author publications (several basic science rad onc related in imaging of cancer), grants, awards, patent applications, many conference presentations, etc... My experience looking at how I did in the game and how others did in the game is that research helps. It's almost required to have some small amount of research, but past that you get diminising returns. The most important things are step 1 scores, clinical grades, LORs, etc.

If you want one particular location, especially a competitive one, I think you're better off applying to another specialty. You need to be willing to do rad onc because you love rad onc. I think it's also very difficult to get an attending position in the desirable parts of California, so I think the advice to just suffer through another 4 years of not being in California is also not sound.

Last edited:
I had a very large number of research experiences when I applied to rad onc including 5 first author publications (several basic science rad onc related in imaging of cancer), grants, awards, patent applications, many conference presentations, etc... My experience looking at how I did in the game and how others did in the game is that research helps. It's almost required to have some small amount of research, but past that you get diminising returns. The most important things are step 1 scores, clinical grades, LORs, etc.

If you want one particular location, especially a competitive one, I think you're better off applying to another specialty. You need to be willing to do rad onc because you love rad onc. I think it's also very difficult to get an attending position in the desirable parts of California, so I think the advice to just suffer through another 4 years of not being in California is also not sound.

Thank you for your response. Thank you all for your responses so far.

It's a sobering feeling to read these posts, but I think that there is great truth to it. At the moment, Rad Onc has been the field that "calls out" to me, whatever that means. I've shadowing a bunch of different doctors, but this one seems very appealing. I certainly will not say with certainty that this is what I will do. However, I will continue searching.

As for residency, if Rad Onc is what I decide, I think that I will be willing to do it anywhere. In the FAQs, it says that Step 1 scores are important, but there's a larger range when compared to other fields. For example, it's usually agreed that if you do not have 245-250, you will not be a dermatologist. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me why Rad Onc is different? It's a competitive enough field that PDs can probably choose only 250+ applicants and still easily fill their spots...so why choose someone with say...a 230?

Thanks!!

Step scores are just one of several factors. It's not the only factor. If someone with a 230 has an otherwise strong application, they will very likely match. Personality, letters, research, med school performance, etc make up for a lower step score. The average for the whole specialty is about a 240, so some less competitive programs likely have averages in the 230 range or possibly less. I can't speak for why it's different than dermatology.

Step scores are just one of several factors. It's not the only factor. If someone with a 230 has an otherwise strong application, they will very likely match. Personality, letters, research, med school performance, etc make up for a lower step score. The average for the whole specialty is about a 240, so some less competitive programs likely have averages in the 230 range or possibly less. I can't speak for why it's different than dermatology.

I understand. Thanks!

For now, I'm just going to continue working hard in med school and see what happens. It's Summer, so I'm using this as an opportunity to review material that I'm weak in. I hope it pays off in approximately 1 year!