MA-MPJE issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb71

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
my question here is , within how many days a prescriber needs to provide/issue/send a hard copy for an oral emergency rx in MA ?? is it 72 hours or 7 days? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For CIII-V: I believe you are just required to "make a good faith effort" to get it.
For CII: 7 days
"247 CMR 5.03.(3) Within seven days after authorizing an emergency oral prescription, the prescribing practitioner shall cause a written prescription for the emergency quantity prescribed to be delivered to the pharmacy which must have written on its face "Authorization for Emergency Dispensing" and should comply with federal and state law. "

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For CIII-V: I believe you are just required to "make a good faith effort" to get it.
For CII: 7 days
"247 CMR 5.03.(3) Within seven days after authorizing an emergency oral prescription, the prescribing practitioner shall cause a written prescription for the emergency quantity prescribed to be delivered to the pharmacy which must have written on its face "Authorization for Emergency Dispensing" and should comply with federal and state law. "

Thanks for answering that ! I was confused because of the following ( 105 CMR 701:003 ) what is 72 hours limit mentioned in (C) ??
(C) Within 72 hours after authorizing an emergency oral prescription, the prescribing individual practitioner shall cause a written prescription for the emergency quantity prescribed to be delivered to the dispensing pharmacist. In addition to conforming to the requirements of M.G.L. c. 94C, § 20(a), the prescription shall have written on its face "Authorization for Emergency Dispensing". The written prescription may be delivered to the pharmacist in person or by mail, but if delivered by mail it must be postmarked within the 72‑hour period.
701.003: continued
(D) Upon receipt of the written prescription the dispensing pharmacist shall attach the prescription to the oral emergency prescription which had earlier been reduced to writing. The pharmacist shall notify the nearest office of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, U.S. Department of Justice and the Commissioner of Public Health if the prescribing individual practitioner fails to deliver a written prescription to him within seven days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for answering that ! I was confused because of the following ( 105 CMR 701:003 ) what is 72 hours limit mentioned in (C) ??
(C) Within 72 hours after authorizing an emergency oral prescription, the prescribing individual practitioner shall cause a written prescription for the emergency quantity prescribed to be delivered to the dispensing pharmacist. In addition to conforming to the requirements of M.G.L. c. 94C, § 20(a), the prescription shall have written on its face "Authorization for Emergency Dispensing". The written prescription may be delivered to the pharmacist in person or by mail, but if delivered by mail it must be postmarked within the 72‑hour period.
701.003: continued
(D) Upon receipt of the written prescription the dispensing pharmacist shall attach the prescription to the oral emergency prescription which had earlier been reduced to writing. The pharmacist shall notify the nearest office of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, U.S. Department of Justice and the Commissioner of Public Health if the prescribing individual practitioner fails to deliver a written prescription to him within seven days.
Apparently, it's 72 hours to hand-deliver or postmark (which thus will arrive within 7 days). However, this law also requires notification of the "Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs" which no longer exists under that name.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently, it's 72 hours to hand-deliver or postmark (which thus will arrive within 7 days). However, this law also requires notification of the "Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs" which no longer exists under that name.
Thank you for taking time to answer ! really helps me understand this now ;)

Does anyone have powerpoint slides from a review session for the Mass MPJE? Or know of a review packet?

Does anyone have powerpoint slides from a review session for the Mass MPJE? Or know of a review packet?
I don't have PP slides but I went to MA state house and purchased the MA pharmacy packet.i believe u can get it by mail too or Google online for CMR stuff