MA or MS in clinical mental health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ftrcnslr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal: obtain a license to counselor adult populations as an LPC or LCPC.

My question: what are the differences between the MA and MS in Clinical Mental Health? I have heard the MS program is more appropriate for undergrad students who already have a BA in Psychology. I have also read that the MS program requires a masters thesis and the MA does not, but I have read mixed opinions about this. All I would like to is become a licensed therapist... would either degree be more geared towards my goals? Or should I pursue a different masters degree other than the clinical mental health? Thanks ahead of time for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I just finished my MS in clinical mental health counseling. I heard that in order to get licensed it does not matter whether your masters is an MA or MS as long as you have the required course work and hours for licensure. I also did not have to complete a master's thesis because my degree is considered a clinical (or practitioner) degree. I heard that the MS is more specialized than MA- offering more specialized training in certain counseling topics. Either way, both degrees will get you to your goal as a Professional Counselor. Best wishes!

Hi there,
I just finished my MS in clinical mental health counseling. I heard that in order to get licensed it does not matter whether your masters is an MA or MS as long as you have the required course work and hours for licensure. I also did not have to complete a master's thesis because my degree is considered a clinical (or practitioner) degree. I heard that the MS is more specialized than MA- offering more specialized training in certain counseling topics. Either way, both degrees will get you to your goal as a Professional Counselor. Best wishes!

oh also a HUGEEEE things nowadays- make sure you go to a CACREP accredited program.
Jobs and some states are now requiring this accreditation and it's going to soon become a national standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice. Would you consider the MS track better than the MA, I know you haven't done the MA track, but in your experience has the MS helped you professionally? I have only been looking at CACREP accredited programs so no worried there. Also I know that both the MA and MS will ultimately lead to my goal, but if I was to pursue further education, say a PHD or PSYD, does either the MA or MS give provide a better track to be accepted into the program? And regarding the masters thesis, my logic is because I have limited research experience maybe finding a program that includes completion of a masters thesis would increase my chances for admission to the PHD level if I choose to go further...But I know that there are even slight differences between MS programs at different schools.

The program's quality and reputation matter far more important than the MA/MS distinction. However, a counseling master's program is not good preparation for admission to a graduate program in psychology.

Isn't a master program already a graduate program in psych? If the MS or MA it is not good preparation then what is?

Counseling =/= psychology.

Generally speaking, the lack of research-focused activity in a clinical masters will leave you unprepared for the PhD.

Thank you for your advice. Would you consider the MS track better than the MA, I know you haven't done the MA track, but in your experience has the MS helped you professionally? I have only been looking at CACREP accredited programs so no worried there. Also I know that both the MA and MS will ultimately lead to my goal, but if I was to pursue further education, say a PHD or PSYD, does either the MA or MS give provide a better track to be accepted into the program? And regarding the masters thesis, my logic is because I have limited research experience maybe finding a program that includes completion of a masters thesis would increase my chances for admission to the PHD level if I choose to go further...But I know that there are even slight differences between MS programs at different schools.

As some have already answered:
1. The reputation of the program is far more important than whether it's an MA or MS. I personally did an MS program, which required no thesis, and was accepted into a PhD program after.
2. Counseling is different than psychology. Both disciplines have their own organizations (American Counseling Association, American Psychological Association) and function independently.

The main difference is that counseling programs are what lead you to becoming a licensed mental health practitioner at the masters level. Do not be fooled, "Clinical psychology masters" and maybe even some other forms of general "psychology masters" are not structured to prepare you for licensure- they may be a stepping stone to applying to PhD programs strictly in psychology.

If you pursue a masters in counseling (CACREP program) and have the passion for research and academia then applying to PhD programs in Counselor Education and Supervision programs are the way to go (also CACREP accredited). Counselor education is a rapidly growing field and CACREP is making institutions hire strictly counselor education professors- not counseling psych or clinical psych- to teach their counseling programs.

As some have already answered:
1. The reputation of the program is far more important than whether it's an MA or MS. I personally did an MS program, which required no thesis, and was accepted into a PhD program after.
2. Counseling is different than psychology. Both disciplines have their own organizations (American Counseling Association, American Psychological Association) and function independently.

The main difference is that counseling programs are what lead you to becoming a licensed mental health practitioner at the masters level. Do not be fooled, "Clinical psychology masters" and maybe even some other forms of general "psychology masters" are not structured to prepare you for licensure- they may be a stepping stone to applying to PhD programs strictly in psychology.

If you pursue a masters in counseling (CACREP program) and have the passion for research and academia then applying to PhD programs in Counselor Education and Supervision programs are the way to go (also CACREP accredited). Counselor education is a rapidly growing field and CACREP is making institutions hire strictly counselor education professors- not counseling psych or clinical psych- to teach their counseling programs.
That actually depends on the state and program. At this time, Massachusetts does not require a CACREP degree for licensure, but the requirements are modeled after CACREP standards (required courses, 100 hrs practicum, 600 hrs internship, 2 years post masters experience). UMASS Dartmouth has a terminal masters in clinical psychology that meets the requirements for licensure in the state of MA. Bridgewater State U also has a terminal masters in clinical psych from psychology dept as well as an MEd in Mental Health Counseling (CACREP accredited) from counselor Education dept. BOTH programs meet licensure requirements. So it really depends on the state and program.