MA programs that don't require GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJW1025

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into a few programs in my area, and a number of them say they don't require GRE scores--I've even found one that makes no mention of letters of recommendation.

Should I be wary of schools like this? It seems like a reputable university, but this makes me uneasy. They also have a PsyD program which does require scores, as well as the standard 3 rec letters.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of MA programs, don't require the GRE. No letters of rec is a little bit more odd in my opinion. What kind of MA program is it exactly? Post the program website if you care to have us take a look.

Thanks for the reply. I was mostly looking at PhD programs last year, so maybe that's why I was a little thrown off by this.

The school I was looking at is Roosevelt University--specifically this program. Under the program specific application requirements listed here, there is no mention of rec letters, and the supplemental application form specifically says they don't require GRE scores.

Anxious to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
What freud said ^

Be extremely wary of any "PhD" program that does not require a GRE score...

What freud said ^

Be extremely wary of any "PhD" program that does not require a GRE score...

I would absolutely be wary of any doctoral program that doesn't require the GRE... But the PsyD program at this university does require GRE scores. Regardless, I am looking at the clinical masters program. Should I still feel uneasy about a master's program that doesn't require scores? It sounds like that is a little less unusual that I originally thought. After the first 18 hours or so, this program requires you to establish your "competency" by a given method, one of which is through the GRE subject test (which is almost reassuring!).

Thanks!

Just from a quick googling of the programs in your area, I'd probably take a closer look at northwestern and Loyola (definitely has some great researchers though I know its a clinical degree). Also chicago state looks like a cheaper option. Unfortunately I know nothing about roosevelt or csu. Roosevelt is cacrep accredited, which is good. But you should find out who teaches their courses, where do students intern, find jobs after they graduate etc.

I would absolutely be wary of any doctoral program that doesn't require the GRE... But the PsyD program at this university does require GRE scores. Regardless, I am looking at the clinical masters program. Should I still feel uneasy about a master's program that doesn't require scores? It sounds like that is a little less unusual that I originally thought. After the first 18 hours or so, this program requires you to establish your "competency" by a given method, one of which is through the GRE subject test (which is almost reassuring!).

Thanks!

Just from a quick googling of the programs in your area, I'd probably take a closer look at northwestern and Loyola (definitely has some great researchers though I know its a clinical degree). Also chicago state looks like a cheaper option. Unfortunately I know nothing about roosevelt or csu. Roosevelt is cacrep accredited, which is good. But you should find out who teaches their courses, where do students intern, find jobs after they graduate etc.

Ok, good advice. Thank you! I do intend to apply to a program at CSU as well, I was just curious as to whether these were red flags I should be picking up on or if I was just confused. I am going to visit Roosevelt soon; I suspect I will have some questions to ask while I'm there!

Thanks again.

who are some of the great researchers at Loyola?

who are some of the great researchers at Loyola?

Steven Brown in the counseling department is an influential vocational psychology researcher. don't know much else. The psych dept has some good ones as well.

I am applying to Roosevelt now. I assure you the university requires the GRE for the Psy. D program. For the CACREP master's program in Clinical Mental Health the GRE is NOT required, but you definitely must have two LORs. They also offer a master's in clinical psych that is applicable for the Psy D and if you decide to make it a terminal master's and go for the LPC to LCPC route, you are able to do that as well.

You might want to speak with someone in admissions to help clear it up. I know an LCPC who attended Roosevelt in Schaumburg and was very happy with the program and employable. It seems to me that many people on this forum are biased against professional programs because of the expense versus a traditional university Ph. D, but I think it is best to talk with current grad students to get good answers. I spoke with a grad student at Roosevelt and she spoke highly of the program and the ease of practicum and intership placement.

Good luck with sorting out all the options.
Cydpsyche

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying to Roosevelt now. I assure you the university requires the GRE for the Psy. D program. For the CACREP master's program in Clinical Mental Health the GRE is NOT required, but you definitely must have two LORs. They also offer a master's in clinical psych that is applicable for the Psy D and if you decide to make it a terminal master's and go for the LPC to LCPC route, you are able to do that as well.

You might want to speak with someone in admissions to help clear it up. I know an LCPC who attended Roosevelt in Schaumburg and was very happy with the program and employable. It seems to me that many people on this forum are biased against professional programs because of the expense versus a traditional university Ph. D, but I think it is best to talk with current grad students to get good answers. I spoke with a grad student at Roosevelt and she spoke highly of the program and the ease of practicum and intership placement.

Good luck with sorting out all the options.
Cydpsyche

This. Get more opinions than just here, talk to professionals with degrees from their schools. Generally they will be fairly honest with you.

I had spoken to the faculty at my undergraduate school about master's programs that do not require a GRE score, and although the particular professor I spoke to is more conventional, he did make the good point that schools requiring less rigorous standards for admissions may be less selective for a reason. His believe was that more competitive schools require more standard forms of evaluating potential students in order to pick out those that will struggle with the curriculum. At first I thought this was a terrible way to judge applicants, but after some research of my own I realized that my old professor was intimating that schools with less requirements may be less critical of students, ultimately giving a less helpful education.

These are just his thoughts that I was reading from an old email he sent me. I'm sure others have had very different experiences, however more opinions are always useful.

At first I thought this was a terrible way to judge applicants, but after some research of my own I realized that my old professor was intimating that schools with less requirements may be less critical of students, ultimately giving a less helpful education.

There may be exceptions, but in general I believe this to be true. No tuition-generating program wants high attrition, so if a program has low barriers for entry, and an incentive to keep people in the program, well.... you draw the conclusion.