MA Psychology at The New School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentintraining

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the MA in Psychology at the New School is worth it? What is the program like? How are the professors? What is the class sizes.
How competitive is it to get into the MA program-what kind of student are they looking for.

Anything else that you can tell me about the program.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

This is a guess: Its very competitive and you need a high gpa. Its probably all research and very intense. Is this what you are looking for?

Yes, I am looking for an intense research program with intense classes. But I wouldn't mind hearing from someone currently in the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my research MA at there and then transferred out to a better funded program for my phd. That was in 2009 though so I am not current.

Psychrat-okay but how was the program then? Can you tell me about professors, classes etc

Anyone else have info?

Psychrat-okay but how was the program then? Can you tell me about professors, classes etc

Anyone else have info?

There was both good and bad, like any program. PM me w specific questions and I will answer the best I can :)

hahah you sound very much like how many of the students in the program were, so I guess it would be a good fit for you.

The research track is not chosen when you enter. It's an honors program and you earn your way into it. The MA program is not hard to get into (at least in my opinion). Also, application rates are going down from what I hear, which is actually not a good thing… easier to get in, but you need to ask: why aren/t as many people applying? The PhD (if that's what you are looking for ultimately) is a different story. Not hard to get into per se, but you must play your cards (read: free labor as RA) wisely. The environment is a bit weird, neurotic, and stressful because almost everyone is competing to get into the PhD program. You don't have to fall into that though.

Most classmates were smart, others dropped out, or skated by. As psychrat said, like any other program, some professors were good, others not so good. I will say I had one EXCELLENT professor there, and never had an awful one (although I have heard stories-- especially regarding voluntary lab duties an an MA student). For the most part, I feel I learned a lot there -- and academically they require a lot. However, it's really up to the student. I liked the material. So, I applied myself and did very well. However, if you're just pursuing an MA, go somewhere else. It's too expensive -- and no one will ever think "WOW! The New School!" If you're looking simply for the education, why not a CUNY/SUNY/CC? If you want "wow" factor, go to NYU or Columbia or something.

The New School ain't what it used to be. Very rigid course schedules since you're all on track and competing to get into the PhD -- even if you're not going for the PhD there, you still have to take the courses that ultimately compare you easiest to your peers. The environment was very privileged, very little diversity, and the professors don't really give a **** about you until you are in the PhD program. Also, funding is terrible, the tuition's only gotten more expensive, and the President's salary is in the millions. I think that says a lot about how they view students.

Thank you rhymeswithlasagna for your personal experience.

I am interested in their PhD program, that's the only reason why I would do the MA. I am also interested in their psychoanalytic emphasis.

BUMP-I am trying to make an informed decision as to whether or not I should attend. I ultimately want to get into their PhD program-but. is the high tuition cost worth it? Anyone know of outside scholarships to check out? Any current students there now that I can PM?