Technology Mac laptop recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centrion904

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am pretty set on being a mac convert to med school but I am not certain whether to go with the 13 inch macbook or the 15 inch macbook pro. I don't know how much graphics stuff is done in med school and right now I have a 14 inch dell, so its right in the middle. Any recommendations on what size to get? Cost is an issue, but not a backbreaker because I intend to use this comp throughout med school.

Members don't see this ad.

save your money and buy a pc. you can get a much more powerful pc for your money over the novelty of a mac. if you like mac os, it's pretty easy to setup a hackintosh these days.

Well the graphics capabilities of the current 13'' are pretty good. I used to game on my PC desktop but now I don't on my Macbook at school. Supposedly, the new chipset by Nvidia is capable of handling pretty decent games. Unless you're going to be playing top of the line FPS, the 15'' dedicated chipset is probably overkill and your computer will run without it most of the time.

Off the top of my head, I think the plastic and Unibody 13'' use the same Nvidia chipset nowadays.

I'd recommend the 15'' if you're going to be using the laptop primarily at home as your only computer. It's nice having the extra screen space. I only use my 13'' at home plugged into my external display and sometimes get annoyed when I have several documents open simultaneously when I'm out & about. I'm already dreading not having my external display next year when I move from coast to coast.

Otherwise, if you like listening to audio or video without headphones, the sound quality of the 15'' will be better. Beyond that, I guess it's how much you want to pay. With the Unibody design and the internal upgrades that came with them, there's little reason now to upgrade to a 15'' other than the screen space unless you're an avid gamer. (But that raises the question why you're gaming instead of studying in med school).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a huge mac fan and actually have only had 1 pc before. I love the macbook's because you rarely have any problems with them...
Fast startup, easy to use, software is cheaper, lower maintenance cost, compatible with most windows software such as word, excel, etc., better graphics, great warranty and Apple Care prices...

Then again, this is just my opinion, but I would never go back to a PC.

Edit: Oh and also, Macs are not prone to getting viruses, bugs, and all that other stuff that Windows are magnets for. Another thing, Mac has a great feature to it that Window's doesn't have. If you already have a Windows CD, you can run Windows AND Mac OSX on your laptop. So you can easily switch back and forth between operating systems.

If you're looking for a great computer in the long run, then settle with a mac. Oh, and I have the 13 in Macbook and it works just as fine as any other Macbook. 15 in will prob cost you a few hundred dollars more.

Last edited:
Also think about how much your going to carry it around, if it's strictly to class and back it doesn't really make a difference but when you start heading over to the library, then down to starbucks, back up to a classroom, over to meet with a study group etc... even a slight amount of extra weight really starts to annoy you.

Also think about how much your going to carry it around, if it's strictly to class and back it doesn't really make a difference but when you start heading over to the library, then down to starbucks, back up to a classroom, over to meet with a study group etc... even a slight amount of extra weight really starts to annoy you.
Agreed. Bringing the 13'' Unibody to cafes or campus already drives me nuts. Especially if you have a messenger bag. With a backpack, you don't feel the weight as much.

Then again, my girlfriend uses a 15'' and she seems content bringing it to the library. She's probably stronger than me.

Agreed - I have a 12 inch (PowerBook, not Macbook), and I love having a smaller computer.

Especially if you have a messenger bag. With a backpack, you don't feel the weight as much.

Yeah, I keep mine in a small bag/case thing and put that in my backpack; the messenger bag wore on me.

I have a 13 inch macbook and it words excellent. Haven't had a problem with it yet. Very user friendly and light weight.

So I am pretty set on being a mac convert to med school but I am not certain whether to go with the 13 inch macbook or the 15 inch macbook pro. I don't know how much graphics stuff is done in med school and right now I have a 14 inch dell, so its right in the middle. Any recommendations on what size to get? Cost is an issue, but not a backbreaker because I intend to use this comp throughout med school.
Get a base-model MacBook and upgrade the RAM yourself. I haven't opened up the new Aluminum model, but if it's anything like the preview MacBook it's super easy to upgrade the RAM and its' FAAAAAAR cheaper to do it yourself. OS X needs at least 2GB RAM to run well, I'd suggest more than 2. (Although, I think the new Aluminum's use tri-channel DDR3 in which case you'd need at least 3x1GB sticks. I'm positive that'd be plenty).

I have a 13 inch macbook and it words excellent. Haven't had a problem with it yet. Very user friendly and light weight.
Agreed. I just shove mine in my backpack with my other books and don't really feel the weight difference.

Get a base-model MacBook and upgrade the RAM yourself. I haven't opened up the new Aluminum model, but if it's anything like the preview MacBook it's super easy to upgrade the RAM and its' FAAAAAAR cheaper to do it yourself. OS X needs at least 2GB RAM to run well, I'd suggest more than 2. (Although, I think the new Aluminum's use tri-channel DDR3 in which case you'd need at least 3x1GB sticks. I'm positive that'd be plenty).
Yeah it's easy in the Unibodies as well. 2 GB runs fine and it's standard for the MB line now.

With the Unibodies, it's actually pretty expensive to add RAM for no reason now that they use DDD3 and 2x2GB isn't worth upgrading to unless you really notice performance hits. If you get the plastic 13'', though, go ahead and go nuts.

i went from the 12inch powerbook to the 15inch macbook, and the extra screen space for work is totally worth it. its not THAT much heavier then the 13 inch.
also: the place I got my computer from, a company called Expercom, installed a 500 gig hard drive, sent me back the 250 gig drive that came with the computer, and installed extra ram. all in all it was like 2400 bucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
man I have the 13" aluminum macbook and I love it!! I have been a PC guy my whole life and was offered a new laptop from my parents as a grad present and was really impressed with the new macbooks. For the Price there is very little deviation from the price of a PC (if you get the lower model, not the upgraded one). If you factor in things like the glass backlit LED, the high quality webcam, the high level processor and DDR3 ram costs will add up quick on PCs. Basically it runs great, the components are very high quality, the processor and video chip run everything wonderfully (I like to play COD4 and it's great). Just in case I needed it I installed windows too with total ease and basically I am not going back to PCs again so I'm pretty happy with it!

i went from the 12inch powerbook to the 15inch macbook, and the extra screen space for work is totally worth it. its not THAT much heavier then the 13 inch.
also: the place I got my computer from, a company called Expercom, installed a 500 gig hard drive, sent me back the 250 gig drive that came with the computer, and installed extra ram. all in all it was like 2400 bucks.

hmm does anyone else like smaller laptops better? my current lappy is 11.1 i think, i want my new one as small (if possible) or up to 13''

Do you guys think it's okay if I don't have a laptop? I use a dektop right now and I don't know if I should buy a laptop for med school. I know Penn State requires you to have a laptop, but do other med schools also require them?

Do you guys think it's okay if I don't have a laptop? I use a dektop right now and I don't know if I should buy a laptop for med school. I know Penn State requires you to have a laptop, but do other med schools also require them?

yes. some will require specific ones (like albany cleveland clinic, etc). i think more and more will have specific laptop requirements or recs

id wait until you know where you are going.

ok so I know it is way overpriced...

but has anyone considered the MB Air?

Also, I'm really wondering if apple will update the laptop line before I start in ~August. I hope they do; I'm going to put off buying as long as possible. Right now I'm leaning toward the:

-- 13" aluminum (side note: "aluminium" in the UK, WTF is that lol)
-- 2.4Ghz
-- 4Gb RAM
-- 320Gb HD
-- illuminated keys
-- MS Office 2008 ed. (Mac, student & teacher version)

I'll probably set it up to dual boot OS X & XP Pro.

my dad has the air as a laptop, but primarily uses a desktop- its cool, but its not functional as a primary computer, imo.

Get the Pro because it has a matte screen. The regular Macbook's glossy screen absolutely sucks. The viewing angles are garbage and it's like looking into a mirror.

A few words:
1. Wait until you know where you're going for sure to buy a laptop. A lot of schools will require you to buy one through the school so they can support it better.
2. You shouldn't need a 15inch MacBook Pro for med school. However, they're nice. Get it if you want to spring for the cash, but you certainly don't need it.
3. Be prepared to dual boot; there are some applications that may only run in Windows. Also Microsoft Onenote is AMAZING for med school, and they only make the program for Windows.

Get the Pro because it has a matte screen. The regular Macbook's glossy screen absolutely sucks. The viewing angles are garbage and it's like looking into a mirror.

I bought a simple glare reduction film that goes easily onto the 13" unibody MacBooks in order to make the screen look matte. I absolutely love mine, but I still use a PC for my main desktop. I really saw an increase in performance when I went from 2Gb of RAM to 4Gb especially in CS4. I was able to get the new RAM for ~$80 from Newegg which wasn't too bad at all for 1033Mhz DDR3 RAM. Best of luck and stick with the smaller 13" and upgrade the RAM yourself imo. Apple wants your first born if you try to upgrade it through them.

I bought a simple glare reduction film that goes easily onto the 13" unibody MacBooks in order to make the screen look matte. I absolutely love mine, but I still use a PC for my main desktop. I really saw an increase in performance when I went from 2Gb of RAM to 4Gb especially in CS4. I was able to get the new RAM for ~$80 from Newegg which wasn't too bad at all for 1033Mhz DDR3 RAM. Best of luck and stick with the smaller 13" and upgrade the RAM yourself imo. Apple wants your first born if you try to upgrade it through them.
Yeah CS4 tends to be the common reason people upgrade to 4 GB. I used to be a PC gamer and on my Mac, I see little reason to upgrade my RAM for now. It's sad because I wouldn't have blinked twice at upgrading RAM for my desktop, so I think in the long run, this Macbook has saved me some money haha.

Regardless, @OnlyOneYes, I think the Macbook Air is a better machine now that it's been refreshed to match the specs of the rest of the Macbook line. Before the machine was crippled by the Intel video chipset but now with the Nvidia chipset, it's much more capable. As long as you won't use your DVD player, I don't see why you'd be annoyed by the Macbook Air. I only use mine to install OS X after upgrading HDs and to rip DVDs.

As for a refresh of the Macbook line, I doubt they'll do that this year. By August, the best you'll get are speed bumps, but the design tends to stay the same for about 3 years. You might as well wait for a better deal, though.

A few words:
1. Wait until you know where you're going for sure to buy a laptop. A lot of schools will require you to buy one through the school so they can support it better.
2. You shouldn't need a 15inch MacBook Pro for med school. However, they're nice. Get it if you want to spring for the cash, but you certainly don't need it.
3. Be prepared to dual boot; there are some applications that may only run in Windows. Also Microsoft Onenote is AMAZING for med school, and they only make the program for Windows.

So you have to buy one from the school store or something?

A few words:

There are programs now that make this easier. You can actually run windows simultaneously with your Mac OS. VMWare and Parallels are two, to name a few.

Only the 17" MBP has an extra BTO option for a matte screen. The 15" MBP is as glossy as the MB. As for viewing angles, of course it is crappy because it is a TN panel. However, I don't know about you, but I sit in front of my notebook rather than 45 degrees off to the side.

OP, get the Aluminum MB or the White MB. However, wait until the summer so you can get the free iPod/touch depending on how they do the summer deal. Last year you could get the touch with the $299 rebate and then sell it on ebay new for $250 easily. The deal goes from about June to September. There is also the printer deal that is year-round and you get a $99 rebate to a printer if you buy it with the computer. FYI, if you use ebates you get a 1% cash back at the Apple Store Online. It's a nice little bonus.

Now the White MB is the same as the Aluminum except that the White MB uses a non-LED backlight on the monitor, has DDR2 RAM instead of DDR3, does not have a multi-touch trackpad (which is a huge bonus IMO), has about 30 minutes less battery life, is about 0.5lbs heavier, and runs hotter due to the lack of heat conductivity of the plastic vs. the aluminum. You have to ask yourself whether that is worth $300 though.

FYI, the RAM can be upgraded to 6GB in the Aluminum model. If your school uses streaming lectures with .wmv files you will be using Flip4Mac and Quicktime progressive downloads. Keep in mind that the lectures are all stored in your RAM. So you will probably need more than the 2GB that comes with the machine. You would have to buy 2X2GB (4GB). Buying from OWC for $59.99 is a great deal plus it has a lifetime warranty and is guaranteed to work. When I bought my Aluminum MB the cost of the DDR3 was more like $120. The last thing you'll want to do is upgrade the HDD. The WD 7k320GB HDD is $79.99, free shipping, and no tax at Newegg. (Ebates gets you 2% cash back). A Fujitsu 5k320GB HDD is $59.99 at Newegg along with the same free shipping and no tax. Whether you get 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM is up to you or whether or not the HDD it comes with is sufficient for you. 7200 RPM drives have improved in terms of heat and vibration but they aren't perfect.

I was a PC guy all my life, and hated and mac and swore I'd never change...

Then I just got fed up with no matter what I did, and I'm rather computer savvy, but after three years of ownership my Dell laptop just was essentially a piece of junk and I don't know how I made it through my senior year with it. So I became a little more receptive to mac, probably because of my experience with ipod, and went for the one of the new unibody's. Amazing computer. I really don't have any significant complaints and after half a year now its still running like new.

I think whether you for go the macbook or the mb pro, really depends on how much money you want to spend. I ended up going for the MBP because I was used to having a 15 inch screen, and this screen is absolutely beautiful, as well as the increased power over the 13in MB's because I'd thought I'd still be into recording and djing and such as a side hobby but I'm far to busy in grad school and probably won't have time either med school so sometimes I think I should've just gone for the MB rather than the MBP because the MB is much lighter and easier to carry around in a backpack or messenger bag. I was always used to having a dedicated graphics card so I felt it was important to have one, but in reality I often never switch to it (on the new MBP you have to log off and back on to switch between the onboard graphics memory and the dedicated card) and the onboard graphics are absolutely great anyway, especially for anything we'd be doing.

Those would be my only complaints about the MBP, that I just don't have time to utilize its capabilities. Other than that its a great computer, realiable, fast, sleek, more and more programs and software are being integrated between the mac and pc so its not like you're wandering in a foreign land anymore. In the most recent release Apple has made the MB and MBP less different, so there's not much perks other than the dedicated graphics. If you do decide to purchase a mac and cant decide between 13in MB and 15inMBP, just know that while the MBP is the stronger computer and will probably have longer longeiviety that the 13in so much more portable. I still travel around with my 15in a lot, but it can get a little heavy after a while.

Good luck with your decision. There are also many great new PC options for relative inexpensive prices, and if you're looking to save money and still get a rather strong computer then pc is probably the better option for you. I've been told the Vista horrors have been worked out and its a pretty good system now - but just realize more and more of what microsoft is doing is faux mac. ;) Also, the trackpad on the MBP is just amazing, its so large and the multitouch.. it makes things so much more easier and its just an incredible piece of hardware that is so intuitive in navigating the screen. Play around in the stores with both, but the touchpad may be what ends up being one of the most significant differences.

I think whether you for go the macbook or the mb pro, really depends on how much money you want to spend. I ended up going for the MBP because I was used to having a 15 inch screen, and this screen is absolutely beautiful, as well as the increased power over the 13in MB's because I'd thought I'd still be into recording and djing and such as a side hobby but I'm far to busy in grad school and probably won't have time either med school so sometimes I think I should've just gone for the MB rather than the MBP because the MB is much lighter and easier to carry around in a backpack or messenger bag. I was always used to having a dedicated graphics card so I felt it was important to have one, but in reality I often never switch to it (on the new MBP you have to log off and back on to switch between the onboard graphics memory and the dedicated card) and the onboard graphics are absolutely great anyway, especially for anything we'd be doing.

Good luck with your decision. There are also many great new PC options for relative inexpensive prices, and if you're looking to save money and still get a rather strong computer then pc is probably the better option for you. I've been told the Vista horrors have been worked out and its a pretty good system now - but just realize more and more of what microsoft is doing is faux mac. ;) Also, the trackpad on the MBP is just amazing, its so large and the multitouch.. it makes things so much more easier and its just an incredible piece of hardware that is so intuitive in navigating the screen. Play around in the stores with both, but the touchpad may be what ends up being one of the most significant differences.
I agree. Whenever people ask about the differences between my previous gen Blackbook and my new Unibody, I just say that it's the trackpad. The new Nvidia chipset is pretty nice, too, but the main noticeable difference for most consumers is the trackpad.

OP, I think the choice between the MBP and the MB is one that many, many people make. Especially now that the Unibody line has blurred the benefits between the two models. I'd ask around and see what your peers say about their decision-making process.

Rave reviews have been seen for the next iteration of Windows due out next year. Even the betas are stable and praised universally. For PC fans, it might be worth waiting for.

I'm a huge mac fan and actually have only had 1 pc before. I love the macbook's because you rarely have any problems with them...
Fast startup, easy to use, software is cheaper, lower maintenance cost, compatible with most windows software such as word, excel, etc., better graphics, great warranty and Apple Care prices...

Then again, this is just my opinion, but I would never go back to a PC.

Edit: Oh and also, Macs are not prone to getting viruses, bugs, and all that other stuff that Windows are magnets for. Another thing, Mac has a great feature to it that Window's doesn't have. If you already have a Windows CD, you can run Windows AND Mac OSX on your laptop. So you can easily switch back and forth between operating systems.

If you're looking for a great computer in the long run, then settle with a mac. Oh, and I have the 13 in Macbook and it works just as fine as any other Macbook. 15 in will prob cost you a few hundred dollars more.

This is such a stereotypical pro-mac argument.

If you can afford it, I recommend you get a high quality Fujitsu tablet, either a 12" T2010 or a 13.3" T5010.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T5010

Fujitsu has great customer support, and their products are very high quality.

Windows is actually more secure than OS X, and Microsoft has a much better security reponse team, it's just that until recently no one cared about attacking OS X. As OS X gains popularity, it will be targetted more because hackers will get more bang for the buck since Apple's security response is ridiculously slow, and the OS X userbase tend to have more $$$ in their credit card accounts.

Most people I know with Macbook Pro's essentially use it for bootcamping windows most of the time, might as well just save the money and either get a high quality windows laptop or tablet PC.

If you can afford it, I recommend you get a high quality Fujitsu tablet, either a 12" T2010 or a 13.3" T5010.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T5010

Fujitsu has great customer support, and their products are very high quality.

Windows is actually more secure than OS X, and Microsoft has a much better security reponse team, it's just that until recently no one cared about attacking OS X. As OS X gains popularity, it will be targetted more because hackers will get more bang for the buck since Apple's security response is ridiculously slow, and the OS X userbase tend to have more $$$ in their credit card accounts.

Most people I know with Macbook Pro's essentially use it for bootcamping windows most of the time, might as well just save the money and either get a high quality windows laptop or tablet PC.

A tablet? Better make sure the notes are all online and aren't provided on paper. Those Fujitsu tablets are also extremely expensive. The Mac OS will never be attacked at the level that Windows is. The amount of malware on the Windows OS is growing at a staggering rate. Mac marketshare may rise, but it won't grow to any large proportion of the market. Windows a more secure OS? It is simply not. If that was the case, no antivirus or antispyware program would be required. Not that I have any issues with other computer vendors or Windows in general but I prefer Macs. The OP did in fact ask about which Mac to buy.

The fact remains that every OS has security holes and I would hope that Microsoft has a good security team to patch vulnerabilities when they are found. Despite the fact that you say that Apple must be extremely slow patching some vulnerabilities (obviously they are in some cases), but I don't plan on handing my computer or home network over to a hacker so they can try and steal my documents or information. That is where most of the vulnerabilities are and it would require physical access to my network. However, no amount of security can cure the problem of a user downloading and installing a trojan by giving their administrator password. Add that to pirating iWork or Adobe CS4 and you have social engineering at its best and one of the biggest trojans for Mac out there (not saying much however). Difference is that the countless viruses for Windows is that nothing can prevent a new virus from spreading before the antivirus companies even discover that it exists. There is nothing to stop it.

FYI I do enjoy the fact that you believe hackers will target the Mac OS because the users have what I'm assuming you mean either money in their bank accounts or credit limits on their credit cards. What you fail to realize is that creating a virus for Windows allows the hacker to make thousands of dollars a day by creating botnets. Plus, there are just a lot more Windows computers out there that are vulnerable to all kinds of attacks and a higher amount of money to be made. Not only that, but a virus spreads without user input. The only thing out there for Mac are trojans, and they require user input and cannot spread from user to user. How many trojans have there been in the history of Mac OS X? :rolleyes:

Tell your friends who bootcamp all the time with their MBP that they are wasting their money. Though I have a feeling that you are exaggerating a bit. What are they doing on Windows? Video games? Tell them they got the wrong machine.

Last, your post wasn't a stereotypical pro-Windows post at all.

Last edited:
A tablet? Better make sure the notes are all online and aren't provided on paper. Those Fujitsu tablets are also extremely expensive. The Mac OS will never be attacked at the level that Windows is. The amount of malware on the Windows OS is growing at a staggering rate. Mac marketshare may rise, but it won't grow to any large proportion of the market. Windows a more secure OS? It is simply not. If that was the case, no antivirus or antispyware program would be required. Not that I have any issues with other computer vendors or Windows in general but I prefer Macs. The OP did in fact ask about which Mac to buy.

The fact remains that every OS has security holes and I would hope that Microsoft has a good security team to patch vulnerabilities when they are found. Despite the fact that you say that Apple must be extremely slow patching some vulnerabilities (obviously they are in some cases), but I don't plan on handing my computer or home network over to a hacker so they can try and steal my documents or information. That is where most of the vulnerabilities are and it would require physical access to my network. However, no amount of security can cure the problem of a user downloading and installing a trojan by giving their administrator password. Add that to pirating iWork or Adobe CS4 and you have social engineering at its best and one of the biggest trojans for Mac out there (not saying much however). Difference is that the countless viruses for Windows is that nothing can prevent a new virus from spreading before the antivirus companies even discover that it exists. There is nothing to stop it.

FYI I do enjoy the fact that you believe hackers will target the Mac OS because the users have what I'm assuming you mean either money in their bank accounts or credit limits on their credit cards. What you fail to realize is that creating a virus for Windows allows the hacker to make thousands of dollars a day by creating botnets. Plus, there are just a lot more Windows computers out there that are vulnerable to all kinds of attacks and a higher amount of money to be made. Not only that, but a virus spreads without user input. The only thing out there for Mac are trojans, and they require user input and cannot spread from user to user. How many trojans have there been in the history of Mac OS X? :rolleyes:

Tell your friends who bootcamp all the time with their MBP that they are wasting their money. Though I have a feeling that you are exaggerating a bit. What are they doing on Windows? Video games? Tell them they got the wrong machine.

Last, your post wasn't a stereotypical pro-Windows post at all.

Being a tablet does not mean you can't use it as a laptop. It gives you flexibility.

If you are smart about the way you use the internet, windows is also secure. There are great free antivirus or paid antivirus programs. Although I have an anti virus program, I haven't had any virus since 1998 because I'm smart about the way I browse the internet. Believe me, Macs will be targetted, just give it a year.

There are softwares, in addition to games, that either run better on windows, are not available on leopard, or require purchasing a new version to run on leopard.

And yes, I chose an expensive but high quality, if not higher than macbooks, because had I chosen a dell/hp, there'd be arguments like "Geek Squad adds to the cost !!!".

I personally use a T2010 and it does everything I need it to do.

What most people dont seem to understand is that as more and more people use Macs, people will start making viruses and worms for them. The reason why Windows get these is because their userbase is enormous. There is absolutely nothing inherently superior about MacOS that makes it virus immune.

Get a PC, and run the new Linux OS (Ubuntu).

What most people dont seem to understand is that as more and more people use Macs, people will start making viruses and worms for them. The reason why Windows get these is because their userbase is enormous. There is absolutely nothing inherently superior about MacOS that makes it virus immune.

Exactly. In the last week, the first known Mac botnet made news.:thumbup:

(And if you pirated iLife, I must ask what on earth you were thinking. iLife? Really?!)

If you get a mac, wait for this summer when Snow Leopard is coming out.

I thought Snow Leopard was a 64bit OS?

Are the macs switching to all-64bit architecture?

Mac generally, to me at least, seems to update their laptops after August(when they usually have the free Ipod thing going on). I bought mine in July, and in September they had the new operating system out. So, I'd wait to get one until September or October to get one, that way you get the newest model. I had a 15 inch PC, and switched to the 13 inch Mac screen, and I really can't tell much of a difference, other than that I sometimes forget my Mac is in my backpack and let it drop down a little too hard. The 13 inch hardly weighs anything, but I've never picked up a 15 inch, so I can't say if it would be worth the extra money or not.

I thought Snow Leopard was a 64bit OS?

Are the macs switching to all-64bit architecture?

It will be able to support a 64-bit system but snow leopard will work on all the intel-based macs. They're focusing more on performance than features with this new release, so it should be a nice speed upgrade from leopard.

It will be able to support a 64-bit system but snow leopard will work on all the intel-based macs. They're focusing more on performance than features with this new release, so it should be a nice speed upgrade from leopard.

Ahhh, ok.:thumbup:

Being a tablet does not mean you can't use it as a laptop. It gives you flexibility.

If you are smart about the way you use the internet, windows is also secure. There are great free antivirus or paid antivirus programs. Although I have an anti virus program, I haven't had any virus since 1998 because I'm smart about the way I browse the internet. Believe me, Macs will be targetted, just give it a year.

There are softwares, in addition to games, that either run better on windows, are not available on leopard, or require purchasing a new version to run on leopard.

And yes, I chose an expensive but high quality, if not higher than macbooks, because had I chosen a dell/hp, there'd be arguments like "Geek Squad adds to the cost !!!".

I personally use a T2010 and it does everything I need it to do.

I didn't say that Windows wasn't secure. I just said it isn't as secure as the Mac OS for the simple fact of the multitude of spyware, trojans, and viruses. I know there are a lot of free programs as antivirus and antispyware. We'll also find out what happens in terms of Mac viruses and trojans in the future. However, as it stands there are still zero viruses. I say viruses because it is not the same as a trojan and trojans are unable to self-replicate and cause real damage without the problem being PEBKAC. I'd like to avoid having an antivirus program on my Mac but there are also free antivirus programs out for Mac but as I said no antivirus is going to help against a brand new trojan and nothing can solve someone installing a trojan they either think is something else or obliviously enter their admin password whenever asked and are always signed in on an administrator account.

Obviously there is software out there for Windows that isn't on the Mac. There are also equivalent alternatives for Mac. Do you have specific examples besides games and perhaps media center if someone is into that? I do know that Photoshop CS4 is still 32 bit in Mac OS X which is a bit ridiculous but it just means that the application itself can only use 2GB but that the rest of the RAM can be used for other applications. How many people have a 64 bit Windows OS anyway and how many people have enough RAM to take advantage of it? The beauty is that the Macs can run both Windows and the Mac OS on the same machine. Obviously it is not for hard core games in which the best is to make your own Hackintosh and have a Windows 64 bit install on there to take advantage of the RAM.

As for calling the T2010 higher quality, it is an old machine that can't be compared to current machines. It uses a very low voltage processor that isn't that powerful, the integrated GPU is weak, but it does have nice battery life and apparently a higher quality display than the Macbook. Though all computer makers use all use the same components (for the most part) and that is a pretty typical pro-Mac argument that Apple users say to call the components the PC makers use as garbage. The problem is you can have the best hardware out there, but Windows holds you back in many cases if the drivers just aren't out there and the OS doesn't like the hardware or vice versa. It's a one stop shop with Apple as they make both the OS and put together the hardware. This is a problem as you are limited if you want to make upgrades (but you can't upgrade a vast majority of notebooks anyway so it's of no consequence). It's all the same intel CPUs but the difference is that the Macs use NVIDIA chipsets which are better than the equivalent Intel chipsets in terms of integrated graphics (X4500). Plus the latest design of the Macbooks is definitely a plus and they have certain intangables that are different than most PCs these days as they excel in portability, being light, great design, being quiet machines, and heat management.

Charlie Miller would disagree...

OS X lacks ASLR, too.

Well it has it at least partially. Probably fully when 10.6 is released.

I converted to mac when I began medical school also. I have the 15" macbook pro and am very happy with it. Some classmates crack the mac jokes, but I laugh inside when their computer is less than two years old and takes minutes to boot up.

A month or so after I bought my macbook pro, they came out with the new 13" laptops and I honestly believe they are just as good as what I have. I'd recommend you buy the new macbook if you think you can survive with a 13".

While the gaming graphics are not as smooth as fast as some custom desktop pc, it performs very well. I use OSX for business/study and bootcamp Windows for gaming.

I cannot see myself going back to PC in the foreseeable future.

I converted to mac when I began medical school also. I have the 15" macbook pro and am very happy with it. Some classmates crack the mac jokes, but I laugh inside when their computer is less than two years old and takes minutes to boot up.

A month or so after I bought my macbook pro, they came out with the new 13" laptops and I honestly believe they are just as good as what I have. I'd recommend you buy the new macbook if you think you can survive with a 13".

While the gaming graphics are not as smooth as fast as some custom desktop pc, it performs very well. I use OSX for business/study and bootcamp Windows for gaming.

I cannot see myself going back to PC in the foreseeable future.

:) My question is how you have so much time for video games. Only time I have is during breaks. (Very limited time). But with the 9400 M G on the MB I have to say it has handled the games well. (Though I haven't played the extremely heavy duty games on which very few notebooks would handle).

I didn't say that Windows wasn't secure. I just said it isn't as secure as the Mac OS for the simple fact of the multitude of spyware, trojans, and viruses. I know there are a lot of free programs as antivirus and antispyware. We'll also find out what happens in terms of Mac viruses and trojans in the future. However, as it stands there are still zero viruses. I say viruses because it is not the same as a trojan and trojans are unable to self-replicate and cause real damage without the problem being PEBKAC. I'd like to avoid having an antivirus program on my Mac but there are also free antivirus programs out for Mac but as I said no antivirus is going to help against a brand new trojan and nothing can solve someone installing a trojan they either think is something else or obliviously enter their admin password whenever asked and are always signed in on an administrator account.

Obviously there is software out there for Windows that isn't on the Mac. There are also equivalent alternatives for Mac. Do you have specific examples besides games and perhaps media center if someone is into that? I do know that Photoshop CS4 is still 32 bit in Mac OS X which is a bit ridiculous but it just means that the application itself can only use 2GB but that the rest of the RAM can be used for other applications. How many people have a 64 bit Windows OS anyway and how many people have enough RAM to take advantage of it? The beauty is that the Macs can run both Windows and the Mac OS on the same machine. Obviously it is not for hard core games in which the best is to make your own Hackintosh and have a Windows 64 bit install on there to take advantage of the RAM.

As for calling the T2010 higher quality, it is an old machine that can't be compared to current machines. It uses a very low voltage processor that isn't that powerful, the integrated GPU is weak, but it does have nice battery life and apparently a higher quality display than the Macbook. Though all computer makers use all use the same components (for the most part) and that is a pretty typical pro-Mac argument that Apple users say to call the components the PC makers use as garbage. The problem is you can have the best hardware out there, but Windows holds you back in many cases if the drivers just aren't out there and the OS doesn't like the hardware or vice versa. It's a one stop shop with Apple as they make both the OS and put together the hardware. This is a problem as you are limited if you want to make upgrades (but you can't upgrade a vast majority of notebooks anyway so it's of no consequence). It's all the same intel CPUs but the difference is that the Macs use NVIDIA chipsets which are better than the equivalent Intel chipsets in terms of integrated graphics (X4500). Plus the latest design of the Macbooks is definitely a plus and they have certain intangables that are different than most PCs these days as they excel in portability, being light, great design, being quiet machines, and heat management.

Well it has it at least partially. Probably fully when 10.6 is released.

Yes, there aren't any viruses for macs yet. But it doesn't mean there won't be in the near future. It would be naive to think that Apple is as prepared to respond to security breaches as Microsoft.

T2010 is an older machine, I bought it over a year ago, but it works just fine for Vista Business. You can get the newer T5020 for a more powerful PC. I don't even think T2010 is for sale from Fujitsu anymore, they have the T2020 model out now. I chose T2010 because I don't ever have to bring a charger with me. I can get 6 hours of browsing/music/office/powerpoint out of it at 100% brightness, which is more than enough for my needs. It's also extremely light and the tablet function saves a ton of weight from my backpack (the advertised 8 hours is exaggerated). I don't have to print out powerpoint slides, I can just take notes directly on it.

However, if the OP is dead set on a mac, then so be it. They are nicely built machines but I feel they are over priced and not all that secure within a year. And with bootcamping, why not just get a high quality windows tablet or notebook? Dell XPS or Vostro lines are also good notebooks if the tablet function isn't desired.

It's all the same intel CPUs but the difference is that the Macs use NVIDIA chipsets which are better than the equivalent Intel chipsets in terms of integrated graphics (X4500). Plus the latest design of the Macbooks is definitely a plus and they have certain intangables that are different than most PCs these days as they excel in portability, being light, great design, being quiet machines, and heat management.

Lets see, with PC's what can we get here?

Nvidia IGP? Yup
ATI IGP? Yup
IGP + Descrete graphics solutions? Yup (sony vaio)
Portability, quiet, great design, heat management? Yup

The Fujitsu T2010 doesn't have a more powerful IGP because it's not designed for power, it's designed for portability. That's why it uses ULV CPU and Intel IGP (intel igp consumes less power than nvidia igp's).

There are laptops with portability and power, but I don't believe they have the tablet function (but then again, neither does Apple).

I'm personally going to get a Macbook Air when the line is updated, so sometime this summer or October. I'll be willing to wait and use my slow Thinkpad for that so I can get the newest stuff for the laptop investment. I played around with a Macbook Air and Macbook at the Apple store for 3 hours and I'm sold with the Air.

I also have a quad-core Vista 64-bit machine for gaming, work that needs power, etc. I never had a problem with Vista btw.

My opinion on tablets. I think its an unnecessary feature that you can write on screen, etc. I work at my college IT, and I've played around with them. Have you seen your hand writing using a tablet? Pretty ugly and not a representation on your hand writing. And it seems like its just a pain in the ass to use. I think thats why they never really exploded in the consumer market. Just my opinion.

And I wouldn't suggest asking for advice in forums. You always get this PC vs Macs discussions and it never ends and is quite useless btw. Think about what you want, play around with it at the Apple store and buy it. Don't listen to people on the internet, they are not the ones that will be using the laptop, but you are. Just get the one you really want so you don't have any regrets.

And don't be cheap on a laptop purchase. If you want to save money and get a crappy laptop, you might regret it. I did this and bought an ibook instead of a Powerbook and regret it to this day because I didn't want to spend $200 more. A lot of my computer illiterate friends are always complaining about how crappy their HPs, or Dells are, because they got them cheap.

Good luck on this purchase.

Ok guys, is the consensus that a maxed out 13" macbook (2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb 5200rpm hd, integrated graphics) will be able to fully handle any and all medical school-related software I will need to run? I'm torn b/w spending $1800 bucks for a maxed out MB versus spending ~$2650 for a maxed out 15" MBP. I want to get something that will last through medical school and a little beyond, but I don't know if I need MBP power (or if it will be good to spend more now so my computer will still be "fast" in 5+ years).