MACP and how do you get FACS or FACP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kent14

Now I was wondering if anybody knew what MACP stands for and how people get FACS or FACP behind their name because I know that a lot of surgeons don't have FACS behind their degree, and what you get or can do if you have these things behind your name. I am a med student but none of this stuff has ever been made clear to me. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

publish alot
be active in the organization

according to my uncle who just was made a fellow last year

Again, I would say that MACP stands for "Member, American College of Physicians". MR(A)CP = "Member, Royal (Australian) College of Physicians".

I would suggest checking out the web site for the college for further details on membership and fellowship. But generally, I've also heard that publications and being "well known" expert in the field helps!
wink.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
To become a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) or the American College of Phsycians (FACP) you have to be board- certified by the respective college. That grants you Diplomate or Member status. I think that is what MACS means. Fellowship is granted uopn proving evidence of scholarly work involving research in your respective field and Academic teaching involvement. I have heard that it is much easier to get FACS for surgeons than FACP for Internists, respectively. Every specialty has its own boards and requirements for fellowship (ie: ACEP- Emergency Physicians, ACFP, Family PRactice, FACC, Cardiology, etc. The Osteopathic profession also has its own boards (ie: FACOI-Fellow, American College of Osteopathic Internists, FACOS-Osteopathic Surgeons.)D.O.s are eligible for fellowship into osteopathic and allopathic Colleges after completing set requirements ( for one or the other. They are usually interchangeable). ie: FACS or FACOS grants you eligiblity for the other and vice versa.
Hope this helps.

To become a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) or the American College of Phsycians (FACP) you have to be board- certified by the respective college. That grants you Diplomate or Member status. I think that is what MACS means. Fellowship is granted uopn proving evidence of scholarly work involving research in your respective field and Academic teaching involvement. I have heard that it is much easier to get FACS for surgeons than FACP for Internists, respectively. Every specialty has its own boards and requirements for fellowship (ie: ACEP- Emergency Physicians, ACFP, Family PRactice, FACC, Cardiology, etc. The Osteopathic profession also has its own boards (ie: FACOI-Fellow, American College of Osteopathic Internists, FACOS-Osteopathic Surgeons.)D.O.s are eligible for fellowship into osteopathic and allopathic Colleges after completing set requirements ( for one or the other. They are usually interchangeable). ie: FACS or FACOS grants you eligiblity for the other and vice versa.
Hope this helps.

Actually MACP is Master of the American College of Physicians; they're elected from the FACPs on the basis of outstanding achievement in clinical care and/or research, and is one of the highest honors an internist can hold. Members of the ACP don't have postnomials. Diplomate means you're certified by a specialty board, which the ACP is not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_College_of_Physicians#Membership

I think Kent14 is a fellow in of the AAFP now.

Actually MACP is Master of the American College of Physicians; they're elected from the FACPs on the basis of outstanding achievement in clinical care and/or research, and is one of the highest honors an internist can hold. Members of the ACP don't have postnomials. Diplomate means you're certified by a specialty board, which the ACP is not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_College_of_Physicians#Membership
but he's right. plus it's better when someone is wondering the same question and someone can just search "MACP." I know quite a few of them and they're all cream of the crop physicians.

Well some of us do wonder what all that junk behind a doc's name is. I mean, mostly you focus on : M.D. or D.O. and what specialty, but the alphabet soup does make you wonder.