Macro Social Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBums1028

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I actually have a second question for everyone today. I'm just curious what do Non-Clinical/Macro Social Workers do? A lot of the programs that I'm looking at offer concentrations in either clinical or "macro" practice. I feel like I have a good handle on what clinical social workers do, but since the other type is less common I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate on what it is exactly that macro social workers do, what settings do they work in, etc? I just want to have a better understanding of the difference between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

From my school's site:

The MACRO Concentration
The MACRO concentration prepares students for management, community development, program development and evaluation, and advocacy positions in social agencies, including state planning and regulatory agencies and service organizations at county, local, and community levels. Students take courses in organizational and management theory, fiscal management, human resources and supervision, management information systems, program planning and evaluation, grant writing and fund raising, advocacy, and community building.