Made A Stupid Mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
TL;DR: Pretty much what I am asking, is it possible to go through Khan Academy, paired with other videos, to fill in content and score well? I am studying a little bit every day and using Anki to keep things memorized. It is just so stressful trying to figure out a schedule, due to making stupid mistakes in undergrad.

Okay... Strap in for the long haul, its going to be an interesting one. I received news today that I have a chance to attend a local MD school, if I score a specific MCAT score. To keep anonymity, it is between the 30th-45th percentile MCAT and it will guarantee me a spot in their pre-matriculation course, which guarantees a spot in their school of medicine. It is exciting, but at the same time, I am scared out of my mind. I was preparing to take my MCAT by May 2018, but now I have to take it by April (If I wish to start this program).

First and foremost, I purchased TBR books January and had full intentions to take the exam, but I knew that I wasn't prepared, because my content was nowhere to be found. I decided to take the next year and get ready for the MCAT. I was scoring around 50-70% on most sections, but my issue was retaining the information (My study habits were crap, but now I have an amazing system that I love).

Anyways, reading numerous post on SDN, I know to hold off on taking my MCAT until I am 100% ready. Saying that, I am trying to make sure that I get all content understood ASAP and dominate this exam. Here is my issue... Unlike my other undergraduate colleagues, I was the student that would memorize just enough to squeeze by with an A or B in class. I had an amazing advisor that told me "You are stupid for storing everything in RAM. You should have been saving this information on CD's or something more permanent." Can anyone recommend what I should do to prepare for this? I have been watching videos via AK lectures, Moof University, and a guy named Freelance Teacher. But I am afraid that it isn't geared toward "MCAT testing." I glanced over khan academy and was curious if I could cover all of their videos and be prepared content wise. To be honest, I haven't taken a lot of these courses in 4-5 years and it is daunting, but I know it can be done.

Members don't see this ad.

It may be a frustrating trial and error process, but if you can, figure out how you learn best. I used Khan Academy to basically re-learn concepts since I was 3 years out from graduating and 7 years out from taking gen chem, so my fundamentals were pretty lackluster. If I had to do it again I would utilize more YouTube videos since resources like AK Lectures can be helpful too, and KA can either be too brief or discuss things tangentially that you may not need to know. But I found out I was a much better visual learner through watching videos than reading textbooks, so to each their own.

Even though your content may need work, I would still start on practice passages and even FLs just to build stamina and get used to the test taking style as well.

It may be a frustrating trial and error process, but if you can, figure out how you learn best. I used Khan Academy to basically re-learn concepts since I was 3 years out from graduating and 7 years out from taking gen chem, so my fundamentals were pretty lackluster. If I had to do it again I would utilize more YouTube videos since resources like AK Lectures can be helpful too, and KA can either be too brief or discuss things tangentially that you may not need to know. But I found out I was a much better visual learner through watching videos than reading textbooks, so to each their own.

Even though your content may need work, I would still start on practice passages and even FLs just to build stamina and get used to the test taking style as well.
Thank you for your response! Seeing that you used KA, do you feel it prepared you fairly well content wise? I'm assuming there will be topics I will have to watch other videos on, because like you said, KA will sometime discuss things briefly.
Where are you in your pre-reqs right now? It's totally possible!
As of right now, I am finishing up with Biochemistry! The subjects I know I will struggle on is Gen Chem and Physics (Those were the classes I memorized to get the grade).

Members don't see this ad :)
I skimmed over everything because you said you have until April. That's literally 6 months away. If you study properly for 6 months, you could break 515-520.

Can you clarify something for me?
You said 30-40th percentile. Thats a 494-497. Easily achievable with only Khan Academy.
If you meant the opposite, 60-70th percentile, that is 502-507ish, 510 to be safe. I would use the TBR that you already have, and the 100pg reddit Psych/Soc doc.

I skimmed over everything because you said you have until April. That's literally 6 months away. If you study properly for 6 months, you could break 515-520.

Can you clarify something for me?
You said 30-40th percentile. Thats a 494-497. Easily achievable with only Khan Academy.
If you meant the opposite, 60-70th percentile, that is 502-507ish, 510 to be safe. I would use the TBR that you already have, and the 100pg reddit Psych/Soc doc.
Thank you. Would you recommend using Khan + TBR together? Like I said above, I just want to be sure to cover all content and avoid skipping anything essential. I've never been a strong test taker (Crappy study habits lol), so I am trying to put my heart and soul into this.

Definitely! Yes, 494-497 is correct. Ehhh... Might as well say it, because I will eventually post about this later on lol. I need a 495 to receive an acceptance.

No I wouldn't recommend combining them. TBR is probably the most thorough resource on the market, the only problem is they lack a Sociology book (coming soon).
If you have the six months, you could utilize TBR and get a 510 on the MCAT in April. Just breathe, take the time to physically write out a schedule so you can see the material isn't as much as you think it is, and know that you've literally uncovered the Holy Grail for medical school entry.

My perspective: 3.0 gpa, lots of Bs and Cs. 5 years removed from undergrad. 4 weeks of TBR and I was able to post in the "509+" thread. Obviously my experience isn't translatable to everyone but if you cannot get a 500 with 6 months prep time, you aren't cut out for it. That's an unpopular opinion but it's the truth.

Why don’t you just take a practice exam and see where you are at? I feel like most people start at 495-500 from their first practice test. Also, given that the MCAT is very much comprehension based, it may be higher yield to work on passages rather than content anyway if you are shooting for a pretty low score. Keep in mind that a higher score gives you more options so I wouldn’t recommend shooting for a 495.

No I wouldn't recommend combining them. TBR is probably the most thorough resource on the market, the only problem is they lack a Sociology book (coming soon).
If you have the six months, you could utilize TBR and get a 510 on the MCAT in April. Just breathe, take the time to physically write out a schedule so you can see the material isn't as much as you think it is, and know that you've literally uncovered the Holy Grail for medical school entry.

My perspective: 3.0 gpa, lots of Bs and Cs. 5 years removed from undergrad. 4 weeks of TBR and I was able to post in the "509+" thread. Obviously my experience isn't translatable to everyone but if you cannot get a 500 with 6 months prep time, you aren't cut out for it. That's an unpopular opinion but it's the truth.
Did you use any of the schedules here on SDN or did you go at your own pace? Also, congrats on the score! I would love to crack a 508+

Why don’t you just take a practice exam and see where you are at? I feel like most people start at 495-500 from their first practice test. Also, given that the MCAT is very much comprehension based, it may be higher yield to work on passages rather than content anyway if you are shooting for a pretty low score. Keep in mind that a higher score gives you more options so I wouldn’t recommend shooting for a 495.

I took a practice test a few months ago, but I started off in the 480's :oops:... That is why I know content is an issue. So I am trying to hammer out the content and make sure that everything else falls into place. As for the 495, I completely agree. I am shooting for a score above a 500, but I know that the 495 is a "safety net."

Did you use any of the schedules here on SDN or did you go at your own pace?

I have post in the 509+ thread. Basically adapted SN2ed's method for the 2015 test

I took a practice test a few months ago, but I started off in the 480's :oops:... That is why I know content is an issue. So I am trying to hammer out the content and make sure that everything else falls into place. As for the 495, I completely agree. I am shooting for a score above a 500, but I know that the 495 is a "safety net."

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

I have post in the 509+ thread. Basically adapted SN2ed's method for the 2015 test

Don't worry, you'll be fine.
I will definitely check it out! I do have one last question though. How do you go about a question you marked wrong? For instance, I would go through the chapter and miss one of the "warm-up" questions. Then I would note that I missed it and go on to the next problem (Yet again, bad study habit lol). Would you suggest finding other problems similar to that and doing them until it is easy, or do you power through it and come back to that question at a later date? Your post in the 509+ thread stated that you would write down questions you missed in a separate folder. Did that help with later questions?

Are you referring to my error log? For in-text practice problems I don't log those. You are supposed to get them wrong, or take a while. It's the nature of the review. However, doing passage practice or discrete practice (EK1001), I complete the problems as they are presented to me. After I finish for the day, if I still have energy, I will go back to the problems I did and check my answers. Otherwise I save the review for the beginning of the next day of studying.

I did not review only the incorrect ones. I go over every single question. Forwards and backwards and sideways. Why is the correct answer correct, why are the wrong ones wrong, how can I rework the question or the answers to make an incorrect answer the correct choice. It may seem odd or counter-intuitive to also cover your correct questions, but I see it as a way to make sure I got it correct for the right reason. And then, cement it as correct. After this lengthy review, I would fill out my error log.

I would write down the following:
-Question (source)
-Correct Answer
-Reason why I got it wrong (gut reaction)
-Reason why I got it wrong (after 24hr cooldown)
-How could I get it right the next time (at least 1 way)
-Subject Tested
-Concept Tested (according to Official MCAT Study Guide concept breakdown)
-Question difficulty (1 [Very Easy] -> 5 [Very Hard])

I color coded the subjects so visually it would be easy to see if I was predominantly getting questions wrong in a certain subject, or if it was a wide spread.

I have two sections for reasons, because usually in the moment, I'll just think to myself "I rushed it" or "I misread it" or "I'm stupid" and I feel its important to get that insight into your test-taking attitude. If you see a lot of "I rushed it," it might point to a feeling of being behind in your timings, or actually rushing through things. A lot of "misread" is similar to rushing, but more concrete and "I'm stupid" is generally a sign of frustration and the wrong attitude/headspace during review. I write down "I'm stupid" a lot. After a day or so, I'll revisit it, and there's usually a much less emotional response, and I can much better evaluate the cause for error.

Once you have a good amount of items in the error log, then you can start to look for patterns in your error log, which oftentimes can point to a quick fix, or a content weakness that you weren't conscious of. Fixing these patterns can lead to the greatest gain of points in your performance. And while this method of reviewing one's practice problems is long, boring, and perhaps overly analytical, it is data-driven and proven to work (for me and others, but maybe not everyone). Especially since I tend to get into a poor mindset with wrong questions and tend to dismiss them.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you referring to my error log? For in-text practice problems I don't log those. You are supposed to get them wrong, or take a while. It's the nature of the review. However, doing passage practice or discrete practice (EK1001), I complete the problems as they are presented to me. After I finish for the day, if I still have energy, I will go back to the problems I did and check my answers. Otherwise I save the review for the beginning of the next day of studying.

I did not review only the incorrect ones. I go over every single question. Forwards and backwards and sideways. Why is the correct answer correct, why are the wrong ones wrong, how can I rework the question or the answers to make an incorrect answer the correct choice. It may seem odd or counter-intuitive to also cover your correct questions, but I see it as a way to make sure I got it correct for the right reason. And then, cement it as correct. After this lengthy review, I would fill out my error log.

-Question (source)
-Correct Answer
-Subject Tested

I color coded the subjects so visually it would be easy to see if I was predominantly getting questions wrong in a certain subject, or if it was a wide spread.

I have two sections for reasons, because usually in the moment, I'll just think to myself "I rushed it" or "I misread it" or "I'm stupid" and I feel its important to get that insight into your test-taking attitude. If you see a lot of "I rushed it," it might point to a feeling of being behind in your timings, or actually rushing through things. A lot of "misread" is similar to rushing, but more concrete and "I'm stupid" is generally a sign of frustration and the wrong attitude/headspace during review. I write down "I'm stupid" a lot. After a day or so, I'll revisit it, and there's usually a much less emotional response, and I can much better evaluate the cause for error.

Once you have a good amount of items in the error log, then you can start to look for patterns in your error log, which oftentimes can point to a quick fix, or a content weakness that you weren't conscious of. Fixing these patterns can lead to the greatest gain of points in your performance. And while this method of reviewing one's practice problems is long, boring, and perhaps overly analytical, it is data-driven and proven to work (for me and others, but maybe not everyone). Especially since I tend to get into a poor mindset with wrong questions and tend to dismiss them.
You sir, deserve so much more than a like for this post. I needed an explanation like this a few months ago. I will take heed to your words and dominate this freakin beast of an exam. Thank you so much.

Reactions: 1 user

-Question (source)
-Correct Answer
-Subject Tested

How many practice problems did you do in the EK 1001 books?

How many practice problems did you do in the EK 1001 books?

Depended on the content. For Physics, I did very little. That was my best subject in both high school and undergrad. Never score below an A so my physics understanding was very strong. The only discretes I did was for optics/lenses, and maybe a dozen at most. I went heavy on O Chem and Gen Chem as those were by far my weakest subjects of all time. I think I did 1/3 of them. If I had had more time, it would have been more like 2/3 or 3/4. I was very uncomfortable with my mastery of the Chems going into the MCAT.

Bio, it seemed a lot of the questions didn't target what I needed to know for the MCAT. I maybe did 1/5 or 1/6.

For anyone in a regular, non-condensed review, they are invaluable. For someone on a cram schedule, you're far better served by practicing TBR passages and the AAMC Section Banks.

Reactions: 1 user