Mail Order vs. Retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hibiclens

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick/Easy question...

As a retail pharmacist, I'm responsible on average for 250 prescriptions a day (new and refills). For any mail order pharmacists out there, how many are you responsible for....I'm simply curious.

Members don't see this ad.

depends on what your job responsibility is at the mail order facility. The usual workload can vary but figure at least 1000 scripts per day. Keep in mind usually you are just checking 1 thing only. (Like is it the right drug? send it down to the next station) right patient? (send it do the next station) right dose/directions? etc...

I've noticed something about the VA and I'd assume mail order is the same. We can fill a TON more scripts per day because we don't have any interruptions. A different set of techs and pharmacists take care of counseling, dispensing and answering questions. So when you are a pharmacist or a tech on the fill side you can get a lot done. We also mail out a lot of meds each day. Anyway, our pharmacy processes about 3000 scripts/day.