Making a School List/On Track to Apply in 2022?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holland

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes you are on track, just crush the MCAT, everything else seems wonderful.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were to get a compelling gap year opportunity but it requires a two-year commitment, would it be worth taking the second gap year and pushing my application to the 2023-24 cycle? Or would it be best to just go for it in '22-'23 and turn the opportunity down? I sort of lean toward the former because I feel like I could substantially improve most of my application if I had that extra year, but at the same time the thought of having to wait yet another year to apply is kind of intimidating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a personal decision. I dont think either is a bad idea. How bad do you want to do this 2yr commitment.

Nice job building your application. Now crush the MCAT and you’ll be set to apply whenever you decide. Without your real score we can’t help you with a school list. As to your gap year opportunities , if you want to do it there is no harm in delaying applying for an additional year. This is when you should do something you’d like to do and when you are in med school and beyond you might not be able to take advantage of these opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice job building your application. Now crush the MCAT and you’ll be set to apply whenever you decide. Without your real score we can’t help you with a school list. As to your gap year opportunities , if you want to do it there is no harm in delaying applying for an additional year. This is when you should do something you’d like to do and when you are in med school and beyond you might not be able to take advantage of these opportunities.
This^^^. Bottom line -- as a URM with your stats and ECs, you are destined to have a very successful cycle whenever you apply. Take gap year opportunities if you want them for yourself, not to enhance a med school application, because your application will not need further enhancing.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all of the feedback! The main reason I was concerned about whether I should take 1 or 2 gap years was because 1) I was concerned that my lack of notable publications and/or clinical research would be a big disadvantage at top schools, and 2) I wasn't sure if I needed more time to expand the depth of my clinical and non-clinical ECs. With that being said, the general impression that I've gotten from other people is that delaying med school for another year probably isn't worth the marginal increase in my chances.

Reactions: 1 user