Making comedy videos on youtube= red flag for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just want to do it. I don't care whether it is in my app or not. I want to help kids get out of depression. Therefore, what is the worst case scenario of me not putting this on my application but an ADCOM finding out if he or she googles my name?
If you don't use your real name for the Youtube videos as others have suggested, then there is no way they can find them. But even then, why does it matter so much what the ADCOMS think of your videos? You will not get rejected from med school for not being funny. It seems like you have already made up your mind, so just do the videos and have fun with it without worrying about med school. Not every little thing we do in life has to be put on an application.

Members don't see this ad.

@clock123 I just want to help teens get out of depression. But I am worried that an ADCOM will find out and overlook that I want to help teens get out of depression and automatically assume that I'm immature.

@clock123 I just want to help teens get out of depression. But I am worried that an ADCOM will find out and overlook that I want to help teens get out of depression and automatically assume that I'm immature.
If you are doing games such as the food and whisper challenge, it will most likely seem immature to adults. Just take a look at people like Nash Grier and the like and notice that their "comedy" is geared towards pre-teens. But, if you really want to put this on your application, then put it since you are doing it for a good cause. As long as you don't come off as immature in the interviews, I don't really see it as being a problem. All of us have a side of immaturity when we are around friends and family, but the important part is being professional when the time comes to being professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there is a lot of confusion in this. I am NOT immature. But I make immature videos for a cause to end pre teen depression. If I explain this in my application, would the reader realize that I am not immature and have it not penalize me?

I think there is a lot of confusion in this. I am NOT immature. But I make immature videos for a cause to end pre teen depression. If I explain this in my application, would the reader realize that I am not immature and have it not penalize me?

There's nothing wrong with comedy, but thinking that you're going to end or make a significant dent pre-teen depression through funny videos does come off as a bit naive.

Reactions: 1 users
How are you ensuring you reach your target audience? Do you have a substantial commitment of reaching out to depressed teens through other activities? Why do you have to make immature videos (there are other ways to reach out to the depressed rather than pre-teen humor)?

These are just a few of the questions that pop into my (and I presume others) minds when I hear about your videos.

I know that I'm not going to fix every case of teen depression. I have met a few you tuber (and these you tuber have about 1.8 million subscribers) who said that they get several emails every week by a fan telling them that they were going to kill themselves but watching their videos made them happier. And not every video is going to be immature. There are videos that are serious and where the you-tuber gives good advices. Some good examples are Marcus Butler, Connor Frana, Troye Sivan, Grace Helbig, Superwoman, Hannah Hart, Alfie Deyes, Zoella, and Tyler Oakley. I also love to tutor,teenagers and this is where I began to notice that teenage depression and suicide are very serious. I also have a love for videos and I like to make jokes to brighten peoples days

I don't. But I have to. It seems dishonest if I don't include it. Suppose, at an interview, I get asked what I do in my free time. And I don't mention it. But then they find out about my YouTube thing.

Do you plan to include all of your sexual history in your application? Do you plan to include long walks on the beach in your application? How about all the time you spend posting on SDN? Do you plan to include it? Omission is acceptable, and if you make these videos, it is not dishonest not to include them.

Reactions: 1 user