Making some extra bucks as an intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LotaPower

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there is no internal moonlighting at my place, I was wondering if there were other ways of making some extra needed cash for that car payment or rent or vacation? I've heard some folks Teach ACLS for some extra bucks...does anyone know how to go about this? Are there any other ways of pulling in some much needed cash without gettin a part time job at In-N-Out Burger? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd just contact whoever runs the ACLS training (often somebody in the dept of EM) and ask... it's a common enough thing to do. Another idea--my fiance is a peds intern and tutors a college student on the side for something like $60-80/hour.

Be careful - some places that don't allow moonlighting actually don't allow ANY work outside of the hospital (like mine). Check it out...

Members don't see this ad :)
NinerNiner999 said:
Be careful - some places that don't allow moonlighting actually don't allow ANY work outside of the hospital (like mine). Check it out...

Unless it's due to a visa issue (e.g. those on a J-1 visa, for instance, are not permitted to work outside the bounds of their training program) I doubt this is legal. Although pissing off the powers that be in graduate medical education bureaucracy at your instituion is not without its own, separate perils, I wouldn't be scared off by some overly protective, vague notion of exclusivity.

Last I checked, the F*!?ing instituion wasn't paying my mortgage and student debt at a rate any higher that $9.00 an hour... :mad:

LotaPower said:
Are there any other ways of pulling in some much needed cash without gettin a part time job at In-N-Out Burger? :confused:

One can only dream of being deemed quality enough to moonlight at In-N-Out.

Oh wait, you meant the fast food place :).

bulgethetwine said:
Unless it's due to a visa issue (e.g. those on a J-1 visa, for instance, are not permitted to work outside the bounds of their training program) I doubt this is legal. Although pissing off the powers that be in graduate medical education bureaucracy at your instituion is not without its own, separate perils, I wouldn't be scared off by some overly protective, vague notion of exclusivity.

Last I checked, the F*!?ing instituion wasn't paying my mortgage and student debt at a rate any higher that $9.00 an hour... :mad:

Well, if you sign you employment contract, it is a binding contract....

NinerNiner999 said:
Well, if you sign you employment contract, it is a binding contract....

Yep what niner said and this is totally legal. You are a full time employee who signed a contract. When I did consulted we signed a similar contract. While yeah they dont pay your mortgage without them you would be SOL in your career.

I can't see why any institution would have any problem with their residents doing other jobs on the side to make cash...including teaching ACLS. It's all extracurricular.

Eidee said:
I can't see why any institution would have any problem with their residents doing other jobs on the side to make cash...including teaching ACLS. It's all extracurricular.

They may not want you working any extra hours over and above your residency. An employer can make it a condition of employment that you not hold any other job.

Eidee said:

Off the top of my head here are the reasons.

1) They plan a social event and you choose not to go to work another job.
2) As Dr Mom said how about you working 60 hours at your residency and then 20 more at some other gig
3) What if something happens where there is a "conflict" between both places.
4) Less time that you will spend studying.

you might be mature enough to handle this but there are clearly people that arent.

EctopicFetus said:

2) As Dr Mom said how about you working 60 hours at your residency and then 20 more at some other gig

you might be mature enough to handle this but there are clearly people that arent.

"you might be mature enough to handle this but there are clearly people that arent."

You're talking to me, right?

EctopicFetus said:

What you say makes sense. But I can't imagine anyone being required to attend any social event. And if there happened to be a conflict between 2 places, common sense should say residency >>>>>> part time gig.

Just FYI, you might want to read the wording of your contract carefully. My contract for instance states that I am NOT an employee, and the money coming to me is in the form of a stipend...i.e. not wages.

Willamette

Members don't see this ad :)
JackBauERfan said:
"you might be mature enough to handle this but there are clearly people that arent."

You're talking to me, right?

Actually I was talking about myself. The fewer options the better for me.. I might get confused.

Eidee said:
What you say makes sense. But I can't imagine anyone being required to attend any social event. And if there happened to be a conflict between 2 places, common sense should say residency >>>>>> part time gig.

Im not saying you would be required but attending social events is good for comraderie and in general would make a residency feel more like home.

For example you are at In N Out residency and you have this part time gig at Spearmint Rhino and you work every Tuesday at SR. Well your residency does their pre-interview dinner (which is totally optional for you, but man free food is sweet!) on Tuesday, clearly it benefits the PD and the In N Out to have you at the dinner and not have you "dance" at SR.

Willamette said:
Just FYI, you might want to read the wording of your contract carefully. My contract for instance states that I am NOT an employee, and the money coming to me is in the form of a stipend...i.e. not wages.

Willamette

Interesting!

EctopicFetus said:
Im not saying you would be required but attending social events is good for comraderie and in general would make a residency feel more like home.

For example you are at In N Out residency and you have this part time gig at Spearmint Rhino and you work every Tuesday at SR. Well your residency does their pre-interview dinner (which is totally optional for you, but man free food is sweet!) on Tuesday, clearly it benefits the PD and the In N Out to have you at the dinner and not have you "dance" at SR.

So have the dinner at the Rhino. Problem solved. I was surprised more programs didn't do this.

Willamette said:

Willamette
Yes interesting. But what does it mean. That is are there tax implications of some sort or some other bonus or detriment to this system?

LotaPower said:
Since there is no internal moonlighting at my place, I was wondering if there were other ways of making some extra needed cash for that car payment or rent or vacation? I've heard some folks Teach ACLS for some extra bucks...does anyone know how to go about this? Are there any other ways of pulling in some much needed cash without gettin a part time job at In-N-Out Burger? :confused:

I give blood...and plasma. blood and plasma.

LotaPower said:

I just take a stroll down to the red light district in something trashy.

Hmmm, maybe that's why I'm so broke.

If you're doing well in residency and keeping your nose clean, you can get away with a lot. But if you start bagging your in service exams, stop showing up for conference/journal club and show up for shifts wearing your Jiffy Lube uniform, people are bound to start talking.

colforbinMD said:
So have the dinner at the Rhino. Problem solved. I was surprised more programs didn't do this.

Sounds like the Colorado football team recruiting.. look at how their teams did :)

Sell crack... that's what I do

EctopicFetus said:

1) If they plan a social event, I don't have to give ANY reason to not attend -- I like to have my life outside of work, not some Orwellian allegiance to now bloody well socialize with the people I already spend 80 hours with.
2) Beyond the 80 hours I work for the man, I can spend the other 88 doing what I want, as far as I'm concerned, whether that is sleeping, playing on-line poker, or any other legal activity.
3) Of course, but surely even I don't have the audacity to think that anything other than residency employment is priority #1
4) This is absolute bulls*&%. People study different rates, different styles, and different people need different amounts. The last thing I need is some bureaucrat deciding the variables.

It's probably a way for the hospital to protect itself from lawsuits.

It looks really bad if you are their employee, moonlighted over night, and then show up the next day tired and mistake-prone.

I know I tend to screw up a lot more when tired!

Talk to the sports medicine guys at your program. Here at Allegheny we can do sports physicals for local schools and make $80 an hour. Hours are limited, but hey, it's easy money.

I've heard of EM residents doing an EM residency in one state (TX) and moonlighting in another (NM). I was wondering how that's done. If you obtained a TX license, for example, how could moonlight in a town in NM.

Thanks.

castaway said:
I've heard of EM residents doing an EM residency in one state (TX) and moonlighting in another (NM). I was wondering how that's done. If you obtained a TX license, for example, how could moonlight in a town in NM.

Thanks.

You're talking about my shop. Short answer, they can't. They've got a NM license as well.

BKN said:
They've got a NM license as well.

i.e. mas dinero!

I'm in the middle of my Texas application and, not only am I up to my ears in paperwork, I had to drop about $800 for the application. Once they decide to license me, I have to pay an additional fee for the license. Not to mention the testing fee for the jurisprudence exam. Oh, and Step III.

One state is hard enough. I'd hate to think about going through it for two. I'd have to be awfully sure I'd be doing some serious moonlighting across the border for it to be worthwhile.

Take care,
Jeff