Males - Should you wear a suit and tie for the 2x2 photo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalmagic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering, should I wear a suit and tie or just a dress shirt/tie for my photo? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should. I didn't. I was in a T-shirt and it was a selfie. I don't recommend that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools do.

Ok thank you and I assume these schools would tell you they want that in a secondary or something? I put a photo for my tmdsas application for Texas schools, but none of my AADSAS schools asked me for a photo

So is just a dress/shirt tie okay?

If you have a jacket to wear, then why not? Dress to impress ;)
I wouldn't go out and buy one just for the photo...until you get an interview of course!

If you have a jacket to wear, then why not? Dress to impress ;)
I wouldn't go out and buy one just for the photo...until you get an interview of course!

Thanks, just wasn't sure if it'd look overly formal but I guess we have to wear it for the interview anyway so why not? :)

Why would a school request a photo? What could possibly be their reason for doing so?

Why would a school request a photo? What could possibly be their reason for doing so?

If you were an adcom would you really want to take the time to interview this guy?

tattoo-face.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I didn't clarify, this is just for schools who specifically request it in their supplemental applications.
Oh Okay thanks. Do you only get a supp when your application is verified after 3-4 weeks?

TMDSAS asks for it as a part of the application, but I'm not sure about others schools though.

I just wore a casual dress shirt, no tie. It's up to you, overdressing wouldn't hurt.

Thanks, just wasn't sure if it'd look overly formal but I guess we have to wear it for the interview anyway so why not? :)

Exactly! Better to be overdresses! "Look, this guy is serious about becoming a dentist!" hahahaa :)

Reactions: 1 user
I "t-shirted" it and had it taken at a CVS to send in with a supplemental application. Still got an interview even though I was probably a little sweaty during the pic. Just make sure your face is in it. I'm thinking that you set the standard low and then dress to impress in person.

(probably minimize possible unconscious bias on the part of adcom and just wear nice cloths in the pic)

I would, and I did. Note that some schools use that submitted photo as your ID photo if you decide to go there.

I would use it to judge someone's bad judgement.

You should. I didn't. I was in a T-shirt and it was a selfie. I don't recommend that.

lol I did the same thing. Walked into a cvs in a T and they took the pic.

Is this on the application and where? I don't see it

Minnesota secondary asks for a photo.

Hi guys, just wondering, should I wear a suit and tie or just a dress shirt/tie for my photo? Thanks!

I actually had a friend that does photography on the side take head shots for me early last year. I wore a suit and a tie. It's probably a good idea to do at some point. I keep them on my computer and have needed them for various reasons (jobs, scholarships, applications, etc.)

I just had a plain grey shirt on. Nothing below collar level is even shown in the picture anyways.

Na I went with a button down and called it a day.

Back in the day it was standard to attach a 2" x 2" photo to your resume. Some secondary applications request a photo, probably as hold over from the 1960s. It's a very dated practice, but some professional schools in other fields also ask for a photo.

I did, but that was also the best picture I had of myself at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Which schools request that?

Haha i had a Passport photo taken of me in a t-shirt for my committee, and the actual picture i used on my TMDSAS application was me in a restaurant smiling in a T-shirt.

It wasn't a problem at all.

That being said, Houston claimed that they through your picture on a projector in front of all of their Adcom members and discussed your application. She said they had one student who was in a bikini and they all were like "this is so unprofessional" and it played a part in their rejection. So... just don't wear a bikini and you will be fine.