Malignant IM Programs to avoid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsubrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for IM and just want to know if there are any programs to stay away from (mostly on the East coast, where I want to stay). I already know the program at my school (Univ. of Md). has a pretty malignant reputation and med students here tend to stay away from it, but I don't know much about other places. Anyone have any insight into places to avoid?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you elaborate more on why the students at UMd stay away from there?

Really, U of MD? That's a surprise. I agree with above poster. Can you elaborate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure- too many unit months, much harder schedule than lots of the other local programs (Mercy, etc.). Prelims especially get crappier schedules. PD isn't very well liked/trusted from what I hear. But I think the residents are good from the one's I worked with.

What about other places? Have you heard anything?

Sure- too many unit months, much harder schedule than lots of the other local programs (Mercy, etc.). Prelims especially get crappier schedules. PD isn't very well liked/trusted from what I hear. But I think the residents are good from the one's I worked with.

What about other places? Have you heard anything?

FYI, working hard ("too many unit months, much harder schedule") is not equivalent to being malignant. Malignant = getting treated like shiat, nasty culture, etc.

Clarify what you're asking for and you'll get better answers. If you want "cush" programs, there's a recent thread on that.

FYI, working hard ("too many unit months, much harder schedule") is not equivalent to being malignant. Malignant = getting treated like shiat, nasty culture, etc.

Clarify what you're asking for and you'll get better answers. If you want "cush" programs, there's a recent thread on that.

I agree - as discussed on this board "malignant" is perceived differently by different people. But the person above seems to have captured the right meaning (at least for me) - would really like to know the programs with that kind of culture.

Sorry - I guess I should have been more specific. I heard that a number of prelims vying for categorical spots were promised them and then didn't get them at the end of the year (I don't know if they found jobs) and some other stuff that the residents aren't treated that well. That's pretty much it- I can't say if people are overtly in your face nasty and I haven't seen that, but some of the other stuff behaviors seem pretty underhanded. I would like to hear about programs who have these problems in addition to just being overtly nasty, because I do think it will influence my choice.

Really, U of MD? That's a surprise. I agree with above poster. Can you elaborate?
UMD malignant? Whaaat? Lot of nasty cross-cover but c'mon, 12 (or is it 18) hour MICU shifts.....pretty cushy.

I'm just relaying the general feeling.

Let's unstick ourselves from the UMD discussion. I'm not applying here, so it doesn't matter. Are there OTHER East Coast programs with less than stellar reputations to avoid since most of us are applying soon? (and I accept anyone's definition of "malignancy")

I'm just relaying the general feeling.

Let's unstick ourselves from the UMD discussion. I'm not applying here, so it doesn't matter. Are there OTHER East Coast programs with less than stellar reputations to avoid since most of us are applying soon? (and I accept anyone's definition of "malignancy")

A post has just been bumped, which discusses a lot of programs and the "objective signs of malignancy" (my fav one is making the housestaff do pushups on rounds :).

I havent seen any programs as I havent been on interviews till now,but from reading posts on this forum, I gather that there are a few programs in NY/Nj which really need to be screened. That bumped post has the details. These are often ones which heavily recruit FMGs through prematches (again, no issues with FMGs/IMGs, its just that these programs catch the FMGs desperate for a residency only to "use" them later).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=495803

That thread is a good idea of how to keep your eyes and ears open for the signs of "malignancy".

One piece of advice that I have is that when you are interviewing, just be alert and notice if the house staff seems generally unhappy. Any/every place may have the occasional unhappy person, but if the overall impression is that house staff seem beaten down and unhappy, run the other way, no matter how nice the PD SEEMS at the interview, or how good the lunch is at your interview, etc. Also, try to talk to some of the interns, not just whatever upper level person or one chief residency that has been prescreened/picked to sell you the program. This last one is harder to do...you'll probably be hustled around the hospital all day at your interview, and it can be tough to find anyone to talk to. Sometimes the dinners that many IM programs have the night before can be a good place to find out the things they won't tell you on the interview day, though you have to be a little careful who you ask your questions to, and careful about the impression you are making @the same time. If there are any graduates of your med school in various east coast residency programs right now, then trying to get their contact info and emailing them might be a great way to find out about programs.

One piece of advice that I have is that when you are interviewing, just be alert and notice if the house staff seems generally unhappy. Any/every place may have the occasional unhappy person, but if the overall impression is that house staff seem beaten down and unhappy, run the other way, no matter how nice the PD SEEMS at the interview, or how good the lunch is at your interview, etc. Also, try to talk to some of the interns, not just whatever upper level person or one chief residency that has been prescreened/picked to sell you the program. This last one is harder to do...you'll probably be hustled around the hospital all day at your interview, and it can be tough to find anyone to talk to. Sometimes the dinners that many IM programs have the night before can be a good place to find out the things they won't tell you on the interview day, though you have to be a little careful who you ask your questions to, and careful about the impression you are making @the same time. If there are any graduates of your med school in various east coast residency programs right now, then trying to get their contact info and emailing them might be a great way to find out about programs.

I agree..many residents even at the top notch places like Cornell or Columbia know a few things about how some of the community programs operate, and may be able to advise you on where you want to stay away from.