'Malignant' programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyriderfox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of Hopkins, MEEI, NYEE, and Jules Stein/UCLA....any others? Obviously, this is very subjective.

Members don't see this ad.

Its obviously subjective. If malignant means seeing more patients and doing more complicated cases than anywhere else in the country, then yes, these programs are maligant. But I think that is reflection on the level of confiedence NYEE/Hopkins/JulesStein grads have when gruduating.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is obviously a difference between working hard/learning and doing busy work/not learning at all. You want to make sure you do not choose the latter residency program. The perception is subjective, but you may want to ask some questions to sort this out when you interview:

1) How often is there an attending covering clinic at the county and/or the VA hospital?
2) What are some of the recent changes the program has made to improve the residency or based on resident feedback?
3) How many patients does a resident see per day, is this proportional to the surgical case load?
4) What is the backup system when junior residents are on-call? Is an attending always available and reachable?
5) Are there review courses available for OKAP preparation?
6) Are there stipends to support resident research and travel to national conferences and poster presentations?
7) Are the residents happy/confident with their training?

Programs that strive to improve attending coverage at public hospitals, make annual changes/improvements, provide review courses, etc. are obviously pro-resident even though some of them may require residents to carry a heavy workload. These program generally produce knowledgeable and confident graduates and they are considered the most desirable (and not malignant) programs.

Last edited:
I heard of very malignant programs, none of which are mentioned.

I interviewed at MEEI and it did not seem malignant at all. The residents hung out with us all day long and were very happy there.

I have no idea how this rumor got started, but I'm a resident at MEEI and it is NOT malignant at all. :) In fact, I absolutely LOVE it here and would rank it #1 again in a heartbeat if I had to do this all over again. All the attendings are extremely nice and approachable. I have never been to the hospital before 7:30 in the morning. We get a lot of teaching. All the nurses in the ER are wonderful. When on call, the nursing supervisor opens the cafeteria and let's us get anything we want for free. There is free dinner at MGH every single week night. They really really take good care of their residents here. :thumbup::thumbup: