Managing a Pet on full work schedule.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheatLom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, What do you all do to manage having a dog while working. Most days for me will be 9 hours of work and 20 minutes each way for a commute.

So my dog would be home for 10 hours.

I have thought about the obvious answers such as a walker and sitter. However other insight would be great! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Wake up at 5:30 to make sure I can get my dog 45 min-1hr of exercise. When I get home take my dog for another 45 min-1hr run. Bored and under exercised dogs are destructive, depressed, etc. I have a 2 year old, 85 lbs golden retriever though. Smaller dogs are a lot easier. Cats are the easiest.

Getting a puppy is completely different and really difficult if you’re by yourself or don’t have anyone to help. You need someone to check in all the time. Number of months old is about how many hours it can be left alone before it pees inside. You can set up pads inside but that drastically delays how quickly they’re house broken.

On days I know I’ll be late or extra busy I use rover to pay for a walker/sitter or pay a neighbor kid to let my dog out after school.