Mandatory monthly C2 inventory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamapharmacist

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Someone just told me that C2 inventory has to be done monthly by law. Is this true? All these time ive gone through state board inspections, ive never been told to do that nor have I heard this prior to today. Im in texas. Anyone know? Cant find it in the law book either.

Members don't see this ad.

My company requires a monthly one but I believe the biannual inventory is the only required one

Reactions: 1 user
I've never heard of monthly being a law. I know my state requires an annual c2 inventory. My company used to enforce a monthly inventory but it was kind of unofficial, just updating on hands and reporting large unexplained issues. Technically they still require that but for whatever reason no ones mentioned it in years.

Members don't see this ad :)
State by state. I think MA is the strictest.

Ah the mythical “by law” where the manager doesn’t produce the law. I don’t work in Texas but like others are saying I suspect it is a company policy that is being conflated with the law.

Reactions: 2 users
You always go by the "most strict" law. Federal law say one thing, but if State law say no, then it is still a no. In your case, your company policy is more strict so you go by that..

We do monthly counts of all narcotics. Easy to find/reconcile issues when you do it this often.

We do monthly counts of all narcotics. Easy to find/reconcile issues when you do it this often.
I usually back count all the c2s when i dispense them and also have a log book. That way if there is a discrepancy, we can address it right away.

I usually back count all the c2s when i dispense them and also have a log book. That way if there is a discrepancy, we can address it right away.
If I could only tell you the number of issues I've found during monthly audits despite my coworkers claiming to do the same...

Reactions: 3 users
Haha what kind of issues?
Inventory ones, mainly.

Most were just people making mistakes when logging rxs, either forgetting to log a script or quickly doing the math wrong which just wasted my time tracking down what went wrong.

Occasionally we'd have an actual issue where we were short and one of the pharmacists had just fudged the math to put off dealing with it. Or I suppose made a legitimate error but I'm cynical and we had some repeat offenders who I would not give the benefit of the doubt.

Now we don't use the written log, just go based off of a perpetual electronic inventory system. We seem to have far fewer issues.

Reactions: 2 users
In California you are required to do a "quarterly reconciliation" where you do a hard count. This is in addition to any daily, once a month counts you would normally do at a chain.

16 CCR 1716.15

I'm sure some busywork-focused chain or DM might "require" a monthly hard count

Someone just told me that C2 inventory has to be done monthly by law. Is this true? All these time ive gone through state board inspections, ive never been told to do that nor have I heard this prior to today. Im in texas. Anyone know? Cant find it in the law book either.
You *should* be doing it at least monthly. In TX, it has to be done annually. You do realize you could've googled: texas controlled substance inventory pharmacy law and the second link is your answer, right? How did people like you graduate without even the most basic ability to find information you need?