Mandibular Movement Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boetlaar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've jumbled my brain!!! I thought I had this straight but now have confused myself. Mandibular movements are sometimes classified as left/right mesio/laterotrusive. Does the left/right refer to which condyle will be going mesio or latero- or does it left/right refer to the shift direction and mesio/latero then describes the condyle.

Maybe an example will make it clearer.

Left Mesiotrusive

Does this mean that the left condyle is in a mesiotrusive motion OR
does this mean that the mandible is moving left and the mesiotrusive condyle is the right condyle?

Members don't see this ad.

I've jumbled my brain!!! I thought I had this straight but now have confused myself. Mandibular movements are sometimes classified as left/right mesio/laterotrusive. Does the left/right refer to which condyle will be going mesio or latero- or does it left/right refer to the shift direction and mesio/latero then describes the condyle.

Maybe an example will make it clearer.

Left Mesiotrusive

Does this mean that the left condyle is in a mesiotrusive motion OR
does this mean that the mandible is moving left and the mesiotrusive condyle is the right condyle?

left mesiotrusive is the is the left condyle moving to the left the counter part of it is right laterotrusive and vice versa.

left mesiotrusive is the is the left condyle moving to the left the counter part of it is right laterotrusive and vice versa.

You are saying left mediotrusive is the left condyle moving left (to me that is laterally)...that's not making any sense. AND if the left condyle was moving left it wouldn't seem that the right is in laterotrusive... man I thought I had this down.

Simple question, easy answer... In left mediotrusive, is the left condyle moving laterally (away from midline) or medially(toward midline)?

Please if you read this help me out with a response.

You are saying left mediotrusive is the left condyle moving left (to me that is laterally)...that's not making any sense. AND if the left condyle was moving left it wouldn't seem that the right is in laterotrusive... man I thought I had this down.

Simple question, easy answer... In left mediotrusive, is the left condyle moving laterally (away from midline) or medially(toward midline)?

Please if you read this help me out with a response.

sorry i got mixed up as well left mediotrusive is the left condyle mving medially which is right toward the mid line and the counter part of that is the right condyle moving laterotrusive away from the midline.