Manual for externship preps and part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noble pod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm trying to start preparing for externships and also part 2. For those of you who have done this and are willing to share your experiences I would greatly appreciate it. What I'm trying to find out is which manual is the most useful. I cant possibly use all of them. I have the following manuals and not sure how to narrow it down.
1.PI manual
2.Pocket Pod
3.Pearls of wisdom
4.Presby Manual
5. Crozer manual
6.AJM PRISM

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone has their own favorites. I would suggest you find a manual or two and stick with them. I've seen a lot of students try to cram them all in and I think it's easier to pick a couple and know them cold. Personally I liked PI Manual and PRISM.

I used pocket podiatry, PI, Pearls (Med law/public health), and PRISM (interviews). In my opinion, pick a few things and stick with it. It is too easy to get covered up in too much material.

Members don't see this ad :)
We talked about board review resources extensively in the part 2 thread. For externships you should be reading any literature that the program has published, look up anything that was unfamiliar to you during the day, and read for any upcoming surgeries. Review x-rays, MRIs, and CTs to prepare for any possible reads during your clerkship month. Review classification systems, fixation and pertinent anatomy you might need to identify during the ST dissection for a particular procedure in the OR.

This is a great suggestion for externships. Well said. (My above post was for boards and interviews, not so much for externships.)

I thought the best text for surgery prep was Easley. It's primarily a technique book but has pearls and pitfalls, a lot of that stuff was what I got asked in the OR during a procedure.

Reactions: 1 user