Manual Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTRehab

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there facilities that do only manual therapy for treatment? How much would a therapist in those types of facilities typically earn a year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You know, if you proof-read your message before you submitted it, you might get a better response. I don't even know what you're asking.

Are there MT only practices? I know several fellowship trained PT's and they all use manual therapy as another tool, not as a sole means of care.

Members don't see this ad :)
There you go. Do you understand that?

It is certainly much clearer than your original post:

So, I am a practicing COTA that will be applying to PT school next year. In my setting I try and sneak in as much as Im allowed to doc within my given tx time. I eventually want to work solely in a manual tx facility. I have researched a bunch of sites and facilities and the salaries are all over the place. This is a very specialized area of practice so I would expect it to be pretty high up. For all of the manual specific practitioners (Or any of you that may know) out there what can I expect? Or any of you I plan on attending the NAIOMT and just keep learning more and more.

As Shakespeare once said, "brevity is the soul of wit".

Agreed. The original sounded like a bot.

Focus: I have never heard of any PT solely using manual therapy or of clinics that are solely manual. They usually work in outpatient ortho and, from what I've heard, average the same as other PTs in that setting.

How were you even able to copy paste that? Unless you saved my original message for some reason.

So do you have any advice for my posting.

I don't think there are facilities that do manual therapy to the exclusion of everything else; at least, I haven't run across any. Outpatient clinics would be the place where you'd use MT the most, as Bones26 pointed out. And it will be hard on your body as you get older. Personally, I haven't had to do any MT in my home-health job, and I plan to keep it that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Some clinics are "manual-based" but by no means is any clinic purely manual. Clinicians who only use manual therapy are called chiropractors.

That's interesting because I know of only 1 clinic that has a manual specialty and it's probably 1 of the only ones in the nation I guess if these are the responses I'm getting. I shadowed the OT that does it.

That's interesting because I know of only 1 clinic that has a manual specialty and it's probably 1 of the only ones in the nation I guess if these are the responses I'm getting. I shadowed the OT that does it.

There is a difference between clinics or clinicians who specialize in manual therapy, and those who "only" do manual therapy.

Some advice: find a clinician that specializes in evidence-informed physical therapy and have them mentor you. They'll be helping show you how to integrate manual therapy properly into patient care. A manual therapy only treatment approach has no place in evidence-based patient care.

Reactions: 2 users