Marian University Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sigmasigma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was recently accepted to Marian, and I'm super excited!

I was wondering if someone could give me a thorough review of the school? I want to be prepared for all of its pros and cons.

Specifically:

What is the research like? Are there opportunities to collaborate with IU?
Does it being a new school concern anyone in regards to the residency match?
Where do you mostly study, are there libraries around, I know the COM itself does not have an attached library?
What is a daily life of a student entail?
Any complaints about the curriculum.
What is the social scene like?
Literally anything else I should know before matriculating.

This is my first choice, and I am definitely looking forward to coming here next year. I would just like some more insight on the school, because I was too nervous on interview day to take it all in and there aren't that many reviews on SDN.

Thank you for any help you can provide! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if someone could give me a thorough review of the school? I want to be prepared for all of its pros and cons.

Specifically:

Where do you mostly study, are there libraries around, I know the COM itself does not have an attached library?

This is my first choice, and I am definitely looking forward to coming here next year. I would just like some more insight on the school, because I was too nervous on interview day to take it all in and there aren't that many reviews on SDN.

Hey! I'm a first year here at Marian.
Research- there are opportunities but most likely you'll have to find them. They are there though.
Residency- I would say that, like any other new school, there is uncertainty about the match. Personally am I concerned about opportunities to match into great programs? No, not really.
Places to study- alumni hall and the COM has study rooms.
Daily life- Mon/Tues = class 8-12 with a lecture/lab in the afternoon. Out no later than 5. Wed-fri = class 8-12 at the latest. We have recorded lectures though so you don't even need to go to class (except labs which are mandatory).
Curriculum- haven't experienced much of it yet. 3rd years had a different curriculum than 2nd years and we have a different curriculum than 2nd years. It more of ironing things out. I can't make much of a comment on boards boot camp though. Don't even know what it is lol
Social scene- pretty awesome people here. I made a ton of friends really quick. And you have downtown and broadripple for when you are sick of studying.
And yes... Please don't pre-study. Way too much info to make any noticeable difference.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed for a faculty job there and was very impressed. This is why I always put MUCOM on any of my recommended schools list.

They seem to be more of the "lip service to OMT" in philosophy of curriculum, compared to those schools that are more dedicated to it.

The school has a good rapport with IU, and has a Catholic hospital chain in the state for rotation sites. If you're interested in research, you can always head over to Riley or IU for opportunities.

Be prepared for an emphasis in Primary Care, as do most DO schools. MUCOM is leaving Hoosier specialties for IU grads.

Hello everyone!

Specifically:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses! Definitely helped me a lot.

Second year at MUCOM here.

Research: I'm not super into it so I don't pay much attention to the opportunities, but they are definitely there. Every once in a while a prof will send out an email looking for students, and there were also a few who got an internship with Eli Lilly over the summer to do research. They said they really enjoyed that.

New school: with no one having matched yet, we have no idea what it's going to be like. But we do know that overall the third years are passing their boards with a higher rate than national average, and from the stories I hear they are killing it on their rotations. They tell us stories all the time of random facts they remember from lecture that they get pimped on, and their attending is impressed that they knew it.

Daily life: second year life is a little different than first year. So far we have had less lectures but more tests (a LOT more tests. The first years just took their second test, and we've taken I think our 9th test/practical/Sim and we're just starting our fourth system of the year). Lecture is usually from 8 or 9 to about noon, then two days a week we have lab (OMM or intro to clinical med) for about 2-3 hours in the afternoon. Then it's just finding places to study. We do go to bars and stuff after tests sometimes, and there's fun activities that clubs put on.

Curriculum: new curriculum is always tricky. Our curriculum is pretty good overall, but like was said above the first years have a completely different curriculum than we had. But the profs are very open to feedback and want to make it as manageable for the students as possible.

Social scene: of course there's groups that hang out together, but no one excludes others from their group. I feel like I can go up to anyone in my class and ask them a question even if oven ever talked to them before and they'd help me out. As far as places to go, there's broad ripple nearby and of course downtown. As far as DO schools I was looking at, we have the most stuff to do around us.

Anything else: I got in to a lot of schools during my last application cycle, and I interviewed at a lot of them too. MU was at the top of my list throughout the entire process, and I've never regretted picking this school.

Also, as far as the lip service to OMT mentioned above, I'd have to disagree, although if the person who said that was applying for a faculty position I'm assuming they have more experience in it than I do. We have some great faculty (Dr. Kuchera, for example, wrote a ton of papers and book chapters on OMM and basically eats and breathes OMM). The third years who took the boards said they smashed on the OMM questions (which is about 20% of the COMLEX) but didn't study it much because they got it down during the first two years.

Second year at MUCOM here.

Research: I'm not super into it so I don't pay much attention to the opportunities, but they are definitely there. Every once in a while a prof will send out an email looking for students, and there were also a few who got an internship with Eli Lilly over the summer to do research. They said they really enjoyed that.

New school: with no one having matched yet, we have no idea what it's going to be like. But we do know that overall the third years are passing their boards with a higher rate than national average, and from the stories I hear they are killing it on their rotations. They tell us stories all the time of random facts they remember from lecture that they get pimped on, and their attending is impressed that they knew it.

Daily life: second year life is a little different than first year. So far we have had less lectures but more tests (a LOT more tests. The first years just took their second test, and we've taken I think our 9th test/practical/Sim and we're just starting our fourth system of the year). Lecture is usually from 8 or 9 to about noon, then two days a week we have lab (OMM or intro to clinical med) for about 2-3 hours in the afternoon. Then it's just finding places to study. We do go to bars and stuff after tests sometimes, and there's fun activities that clubs put on.

Curriculum: new curriculum is always tricky. Our curriculum is pretty good overall, but like was said above the first years have a completely different curriculum than we had. But the profs are very open to feedback and want to make it as manageable for the students as possible.

Social scene: of course there's groups that hang out together, but no one excludes others from their group. I feel like I can go up to anyone in my class and ask them a question even if oven ever talked to them before and they'd help me out. As far as places to go, there's broad ripple nearby and of course downtown. As far as DO schools I was looking at, we have the most stuff to do around us.

Anything else: I got in to a lot of schools during my last application cycle, and I interviewed at a lot of them too. MU was at the top of my list throughout the entire process, and I've never regretted picking this school.

Also, as far as the lip service to OMT mentioned above, I'd have to disagree, although if the person who said that was applying for a faculty position I'm assuming they have more experience in it than I do. We have some great faculty (Dr. Kuchera, for example, wrote a ton of papers and book chapters on OMM and basically eats and breathes OMM). The third years who took the boards said they smashed on the OMM questions (which is about 20% of the COMLEX) but didn't study it much because they got it down during the first two years.
Hi,

I have an interview with Marian coming up, could you tell me a little on what to expect? I've never done an MMI interview style before, so if you could just explain the procedure and how that works that would be awesome, Thank you!

Hi,

I have an interview with Marian coming up, could you tell me a little on what to expect? I've never done an MMI interview style before, so if you could just explain the procedure and how that works that would be awesome, Thank you!
Hey I know the question wasn't for me but I'm a 2nd year at Marian.

The MMI is pretty simple (although they changed it up from when I interviewed). I believe there are 3-4 stations where you have ~2 minutes to read and think about the prompt. Then you have ~10-12 minutes with the interviewer to discuss the topic at hand. Topics are pretty broad. Don't stress too much though, the MMI is basically just a way to see how you think, can you see both sides of view on a topic, are you a team player, do you have empathy, etc. Just be yourself. I know that sounds silly but really they just want to know who you are. My advice is to just look up some common topics online and think about how you would respond. There is no real way you can "prepare" like you can for a traditional interview. Then after the MMI they still have the longer 25-30 minute traditional interview as well (I think).

You'll then go on a tour of the med school and finally sit down for a Q/A session with 2 current students.

Overall it was a pretty laid back day. No reason to stress. Have fun!

Thank you! When you say discuss the topic at hand, do you mean act it out with the interviewer or just talk it out and walk through what you would do/thought process with the interviewer?

Thank you! When you say discuss the topic at hand, do you mean act it out with the interviewer or just talk it out and walk through what you would do/thought process with the interviewer?
Not act it out or anything. They will give you a paragraph of prompt and initially give you a few minutes to talk it through. Then they may ask you a few follow up questions and throw a few layers into the question. Its not too big of a deal. As long as you are open to different points of view (while showing some confidence in yours) then you will be fine.