Marine veterinarian vs Marine Biologist (work with Sharks)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scientific Horror

Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows someone who is a marine veterinarian or someone who specifically works with sharks. I am on tract to apply to veterinary school verses pursuing a career with sharks. I am going to be living near Seattle, WA soon. I have already graduated college with a Biomedical Science degree so I do not know what it would take to switch career plans. However, I love learning about and studying sharks which is why I have been conflicted about changing my career path or going to Vet school to be a marine biologist. Does anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not a marine vet but my question to you is…would you still want to be a vet if you couldn’t work with sharks? If you even slightly hesitate when asked that question or if the answer is no, I would not recommend you go to vet school. The road to being an exotics veterinarian is long and competitive and low-paying. I don’t know if aquatics is a formal specialty but I’m sure training programs are extremely limited. Many people who want to do zoo/exotic med have to “settle” for small animal +/- companion exotics practice because they can’t get a competitive zoo/exotics internship or residency spot. I’m not saying you couldn’t do it or anything, but it’s not easy to specialize and it’s silly to spend hundreds of thousands on vet school if you aren’t okay potentially having to work in another sector of vet med besides shark medicine. If your end goal is to absolutely 100% work with sharks, I’d recommend another avenue than veterinary school.

Reactions: 4 users