Marino ICU Book 3rd edition better than the original?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eklipse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who read the original ICU Book by Marino already read the new 3rd edition? I read somewhere the newer edition is longer but not really any better.

I never bought the original, although read most of it, now I'm trying to decide whether to buy the new edition or just get the original.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Eklipse, I haven't read the 3rd edition, but the 2nd edition was awesome.

Why would you just get the original? If you don't already own a copy, I would get the latest edition. If you owned the original, then I would be debating whether to spend the money to get a newer edition.

Sometimes newer editions aren't as good as the originals.

For example, I bought an older version of Marriott's Practical EKG after I read on SDN that the newer editions are by a different author (not Marriott) and aren't as well written as the older copies.

If the 3rd edition of the ICU book is updated and more complete than the original, I'd obviously go ahead and buy it. But if it's too long and loses the simplicity and practicality of the original, then I'd prefer the original.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I haven't seen the latest edition, the changes that ICU care has seen in the last 10 years (e.g., glucose control, fluid management, vent management) would prompt me to go with the newest edition although this may already be outdated in certain sections (e.g., liberal vs conservative fluid management).

Sometimes newer editions aren't as good as the originals.

For example, I bought an older version of Marriott's Practical EKG after I read on SDN that the newer editions are by a different author (not Marriott) and aren't as well written as the older copies.

If the 3rd edition of the ICU book is updated and more complete than the original, I'd obviously go ahead and buy it. But if it's too long and loses the simplicity and practicality of the original, then I'd prefer the original.

I just finished my surgery clerkship and found the latest edition of Marino's ICU Book to be extremely helpful in understanding the management of critically ill post-operative surgical patients. This book was worth every penny.