Maryland, DC and northern VA. What are the pros and cons of working in each area as a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modest_anteater

Walgreens @ Austin, Texas.
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
DC
Fairfax county / Arlington
Montgomery County Maryland

What is the best area to get your initial license in in terms of annual fees out of these three?
Highest salary?
Most available jobs?

Please no info on CoL.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no info on that area, but am curious why you are asking about "highest salary?" I thought you were willing to work for $20/hr?

Reactions: 1 user
I thought you were all about the NYC life?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would highly recommend avoiding that entire area, I can tell you that I started out in Arlington and was making $50/hour around 10 years ago. Arlington is under a pharmacy union so we did get 2 extra "personal" days, but as soon as I moved to a less populated area I got a 20% raise. Also, that entire region has massively inflated property values, and with government's stronger push for telework, the prices are probably peaked and are likely to fall in the future. Just to get an idea, for a 600sqft condo you are looking at around $400-500k.

Reactions: 1 users
You wouldn't fit well in the District. I'm actually not sure (and I'm not joking) that you could find employment in the area given your background, you're certainly not going to get a federal job without connections. Work conditions outside federal facilities are worse than comparable urban areas for all the reasons @Dr Wario states although its worse now due to the spouse's trapped employment issue. The racial tension is higher than the past although violent and property crime is lower than the Berry and Congressional era, I definitely do not find U Street and Anacostia as welcoming now versus when I was a student. Also, the town definitely went upscale, and massive amounts of household debt are necessary to fuel a middle class lifedtyle here. Stay in Austin.

I have no info on that area, but am curious why you are asking about "highest salary?" I thought you were willing to work for $20/hr?
I am willing to work that low. That doesn't mean that's my ideal salary.

I thought you were all about the NYC life?
I have heard rumors that DC / fairfax county pays way more than NYC. Also NYC is kinda stagnant while DC is a growing area.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend avoiding that entire area, I can tell you that I started out in Arlington and was making $50/hour around 10 years ago. Arlington is under a pharmacy union so we did get 2 extra "personal" days, but as soon as I moved to a less populated area I got a 20% raise. Also, that entire region has massively inflated property values, and with government's stronger push for telework, the prices are probably peaked and are likely to fall in the future. Just to get an idea, for a 600sqft condo you are looking at around $400-500k.
You wouldn't fit well in the District. I'm actually not sure (and I'm not joking) that you could find employment in the area given your background, you're certainly not going to get a federal job without connections. Work conditions outside federal facilities are worse than comparable urban areas for all the reasons @Dr Wario states although its worse now due to the spouse's trapped employment issue. The racial tension is higher than the past although violent and property crime is lower than the Berry and Congressional era, I definitely do not find U Street and Anacostia as welcoming now versus when I was a student. Also, the town definitely went upscale, and massive amounts of household debt are necessary to fuel a middle class lifedtyle here. Stay in Austin.
thanks for the great intel guys!